Rafiki's Planet Watch is Now OPEN - See Post #296

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m hoping for Zootopia, I guess. It’s one of my favorites.

I hate I decided to skip Planet Watch on my last three trips. I hadn’t done it since I was a kid and wanted to check it back out. I guess I won’t miss it a ton, but wanted to experience it again.

So what are the rumors for it’s replacement and when the replacement will open? We are going sept 2019

Sad to see it go.
Not surprised to hear that the "seasonal" operation was just a rumor. Seemed like a tough place to operate seasonally - not worth the trouble and upkeep to only use once and a while. However - I do believe they'll come up with something great for that area. I will miss watching the train pass by the food court area there in Africa - that was always cool to see as you sat and ate.

I'm glad we did this back in 2012, now. We didn't get to AK in 2013 and we're not planning on being back for another couple years. We really enjoyed it, even with teenagers.

I haven't seen the area on a map but it wouldn't surprise me if they deemed that the land was better used for expansion than its current use. I know the train passes pretty close to some of the animal housing but they could leave the train in place as a means to access some future attraction (or 2 or 3).

I understand people being disappointed for smaller children. I come from a different angle ... I know things have to change,move on etc but all of the things going seem to be the educational stuff ... one of the standout things used to be the education, the chance to learn in a fun way. PlNet watch did this. Epcot used to be a place to learn too .. over the years progress has meant the loss of things like horizons, dare I say it Ellens energy adventure, symbiosis/ circle of life, food rocks/kitchen cabaret, cranium command, innoventions, etc and MGM used to teach you about film making. I know these things were dated but they seem to replace everything with things with no value in the sense Walt had. It strikes me that families ... and actually we are a couple with no kids so I am not saying this just because I have children ... are not the market any more. The money is to be made with dining and alcohol and the market seems to be teens and adults. Little attempt is made to theme ... gone are the days when tower of terror was Moroccan themed one side as it could be seen from Morocco. The Disney I knew and loved is all but gone and it is a very different beast these days. Disney has become like any other theme park, which is a shame as it was unique and miles above everything else on its vision as well as its theming. I am sure plenty of people love it ... there is much I still love, but I think it’s lost its way and its ethos. And that noise you can hear ... Walt turning in his grave .

I understand people being disappointed for smaller children. I come from a different angle ... I know things have to change,move on etc but all of the things going seem to be the educational stuff ... one of the standout things used to be the education, the chance to learn in a fun way. PlNet watch did this. Epcot used to be a place to learn too .. over the years progress has meant the loss of things like horizons, dare I say it Ellens energy adventure, symbiosis/ circle of life, food rocks/kitchen cabaret, cranium command, innoventions, etc and MGM used to teach you about film making. I know these things were dated but they seem to replace everything with things with no value in the sense Walt had. It strikes me that families ... and actually we are a couple with no kids so I am not saying this just because I have children ... are not the market any more. The money is to be made with dining and alcohol and the market seems to be teens and adults. Little attempt is made to theme ... gone are the days when tower of terror was Moroccan themed one side as it could be seen from Morocco. The Disney I knew and loved is all but gone and it is a very different beast these days. Disney has become like any other theme park, which is a shame as it was unique and miles above everything else on its vision as well as its theming. I am sure plenty of people love it ... there is much I still love, but I think it’s lost its way and its ethos. And that noise you can hear ... Walt turning in his grave .

I can’t speak to the broader picture as I haven’t been before, but I do think it’s a shame to take away something that had educational value. Watching the vet procedures would have been fascinating to me as a kid (and now!). Removing something that could inspire kids towards veterinary science or zoology seems out of step with the general move in schools and wider society of pushing kids towards STEM and encouraging environmental sustainability and conservation.

I’m sad about the vet procedures.
That was such a cool thing.
I hope they continue to do them behind the scenes and maybe offer a tour that involves them.

I'm late to this party, and while I like that area too, it is kind of under-utilized. Something new would be good, though I hope they keep aspects of it, like the vet facilities. I mean, there's no reason to move them, but they could alter the area around it into something new, and more easily accessible.

Maybe they'll at least move the petting zoo to a more accessible location. Ya gotta have a petting zoo!

I can’t speak to the broader picture as I haven’t been before, but I do think it’s a shame to take away something that had educational value. Watching the vet procedures would have been fascinating to me as a kid (and now!). Removing something that could inspire kids towards veterinary science or zoology seems out of step with the general move in schools and wider society of pushing kids towards STEM and encouraging environmental sustainability and conservation.
Maybe I am being an optimist, or have Disney rose-colored glasses on, but I think they did try to save this area. It has never been busy, but this summer they did have all the free tours of the areas at RPW. I don’t know how much of a success they were though, but I don’t think they boosted attendance there enough. I think it is a shame to see it go, but I can see them cutting this considering how busy it was.

Thank you for this. Selfishly, I’m pleased that we will at least get to see it as we arrive in 2 weeks.
I am in the same boat as you. I am happy that my family (especially my son) gets to experience this and the train when we go in mid October. This will make him excited that he will still be able to ride the train to see the snakes! I am sad that it is closing though because I heard really good things about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!