RA suggestions please

alizesmom

Dreaming of Disney.
Next August will be my first time in the parks since my diagnosis. We’ll be staying at Fort Wilderness and likely driving to the parks. I’m vacillating between using my manual wheelchair when needed or renting a scooter. What are the pros and cons of each?

Do you self propel in your wheelchair? If so, are you able to handle the extensive amount of pushing that Disney requires? Do you have a push assist like a Smartdrive to help with inclines? If you don’t self propel, do you have someone who is able to push you?

I think a manual wheelchair is better in terms of maneuvering. It’s smaller than a scooter and can go more places than a scooter. However, if you don’t self propel, you are at the mercy of your assistant. In that case, a scooter is better for your level of independence.

I require a WC as I am unable to safely operate an ECV. I also get pushed by my husband as I cannot self propel. An ECV offers more individual freedom, but comes with increased responsibility.

Wheelchair: PROS-smaller "footprint", take up less space in room at night, doesn't need charging. Less likely to break down. CONS-your pusher will get quite tired and very hot pushing a wheelchair around all day in August. Some of the inclines are quite steep. Worry about airline and checking your personal chair

EVC: PROS-your pusher won't be tired. You can cover more ground with higher speed. You have the freedom to go off by yourself. CONS-have to rent an EVC means increased cost. More difficult to maneuver in crowds. Will have to break down the EVC to get it into the rental car, and if renting the EVC off site for better pricing, you will have to find a rental car that will fit the EVC when it is broken down. Must charge it every night and it will take up space in your hotel room (you cannot leave it in the hallway)

For both, you can easily leave it and walk around when you want to stretch or change position. For August, bring a sunbrella, or rent one for the EVC. Bring a old towel to cover the seat so you won't burn yourself when you sit down again. Bring a car shammy to wipe up water from the frequent afternoon showers. If using the EVC, bring a cheap shower cap to cover the control unit against those showers. If you go the wheelchair route, bring a pair of padded finger-less bike gloves for your pusher-they'll help prevent blisters on their hands. For either mode, don't forget the apply sunscreen to the tops of your feet and your thighs (if wearing shorts). Bring a cheap, colorful yarn pom-pom to identify your chair/EVC.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I’m hoping to be able to do a combination of being pushed, self propelling and walking while pushing the empty chair.

Based upon the topography of the parks, the heat and the extra effort required to push a manual chair I would 100% go for the Electric Scooter. Depending on your vehicle you can easily have people throw it in the back. The added benefit of powered mobility will be a god send in the parks and will undoubtedly allow you to enjoy more for longer.

As far as ECVs go, right now crowds aren't really an issue, and while it *seems* like they take a lot more space, most rental ECVs actually are (relatively) compact when compared to their in-Park rental brethren.

Having said that, you can rent larger sized ECVs that will max out, or even exceed Disney's limits on mobility device sizes. I wouldn't recommend that for obvious reasons, but there are some folks who apparently believe that "bigger is better" I guess! 😳

It is completely possible to take a manual chair to WDW, but unless you are used to self-propelling everywhere in your daily life, it's going to be pretty tough, and most don't make it to the end of the first day before their arms/shoulders/hands feel like they have been wrung out. The whole idea of vacation is to get back home and feel at least as good as when you left, if not better, right?

Remember that at FW, you will have the internal bus system to get around the Resort, and that connects to the wider WDW transportation system, so if you decide to park your car at your cabin/campsite, you will have *2* bus transfers just to get off property. (1 on/off the internal FW bus, and 1 transfer onto the Parks/Disney Springs buses)

I would keep the number of a rental place handy just in case - most of them can get new equipment to you fairly quickly if whatever you start out with isn’t working for you.

I was sure a manual would work on one trip, but it turned out I had never noticed just how many ramps, hills, and uneven pavings there were and how steep they were. But the rental company got an ECV to me that night so I had it for the following day.

My wife has RA and due to some hip issues she needed to use something for our Disneyland trip, then our WDW trip. At first we debated about a manual wheel chair, so glad she got the scooter. First of all she had her independence, and honestly it would have ruined the trip for me if I was pushing her around. As mentioned, Disney isn't flat. Getting on buses, boats, ramps, and just the general layout of the park has a lot of inclines you don't notice when you just walk the park.

I have RA and MS. The first time I used the scooter was amazing. I enjoyed the freedom and my husband not having to push me. I have RA in my hands and while I could push myself some, if I had to do it up hills, etc it would kill my hands.

My husband has pushed me in one on a cruise, and I hated it. I felt like I made everything harder on him.

If you’re worried about driving the scooter, have one delivered to the hotel and practice, practice, practice. Also, go slow. Those combined, you’ll do fine.

I have RA in my wrists and hands (waiting to have fusion surgery). I've always rented a scooter. In August, this year, my adult daughter actually walked on the right side of me and controlled the scooter. I asked her which she preferred her reply I' m driving the scooter. I'm pushing you in a wheelchair. Helping with a scooter was easier for h er.

I don't mean to hijack this DAS thread and ignore if improper to post but I just wanted to say I had a very bad RA Flare while at Boardwalk Villas last week. I was only diagnosed 3 months ago and suspected regular but bad Osteoarthritis but definitely a serious RA diagnosis.

1/2 way in the trip both feet, ankles, knees and hips were burning up and throbbing. My daughter back home called RA Dr and she immediately called TURNER DRUGS near Disney World and literally within 50 minutes the lobby CM's were calling me to pick up a Turner Drug delivery. It was a steroid pak and I felt better in hours. I was so thankful the trip wasn't ruined and I'm not sure if everyone knows what a blessing Turner Drugs can be for any drug needed illness but in my case, RA. (the Methotrexate and ibuprofen did not cut it and I'm sure other drugs will be added).

PS: I'm sending the drug receipts Turner gave me into Medicare and Supplement.

t was a steroid pak and I felt better in hours. I was so thankful the trip wasn't ruined and I'm not sure if everyone knows what a blessing Turner Drugs can be for any drug needed illness but in my case, RA. (the Methotrexate and ibuprofen did not cut it and I'm sure other drugs will be added).

I’m so glad your trip wasn’t ruined! Steroids can be a life saver with RA. They may talk with you about biologics next. They can keep it in good check. Did you walk the parks? If so, that may have triggered the flare in part. When I was first diagnosed, I still walked the parks. Then I progressed to a cane. Finally, I started renting scooters. A little while after that, I needed the scooter for the Riverwalk and anything else that required much walking. (I also have MS, so it’s not just RA). Hang in there, but if it gets harder to keep up, don’t hesitate to use a device - wheelchair, scooter, etc. It will make the trip easier and more enjoyable.

We haven't tried manual to compare, but ECV has been a trip saver for us.

DH has 3 fused lower back vertabrae and can't walk more than 2 miles/day. After renting a scooter in Orlando for 2 trips, we opted to buy a used $150 scooter off Craig's. It lasted for 4 week long trips and 4 RT flights. It still works but the key snapped off.

At first we were worried how the EVC would impact the trip but it really doesn't change much for the party except making WDW life so much easier for the user. DH loves it because he's able to keep up and do everything he wants. Here's a list of what to expect at different rides (which most you can ride the line and transfer when it's your turn to board):
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/mobility-disabilities/WDW is fantastic and has it down to science. So helpful, it is virtually seemless. They'll have it waiting for you when you get off the ride.

The airline JetBlue has been great as well. When we called to ask about flying with our ECV, they bumped us up to 'More Legroom' for free (just the first trip). Every trip DH rides the ECV right up the ramp to the plane and the crew take ECV's and strollers to store last so they're the first thing out and ready for use as soon as the plane lands, no extra fee.

One trip his Mom joined us and we rented her ECV due to knee problem. Having 2 ECVs seemed like it might be hard to manage but our experience really wasn't different than when we used to all navigate by foot. I don't know for sure (having not tried manual) but we feel the 'splurge' for powered is well worth it :) Have a great trip!

I’ve never tried a manual either. I don’t want my husband pushing me all day. I’ve taken my scooter everywhere. It works great for flying since I can no longer navigate the airports on foot. Mine’s been on a couple of Alaskan cruises, to Hawaii a couple of times, and to Disney more times than I can remember. I live in San Antonio, so I use it at Sea World and on. The Riverwalk. It makes it so I can enjoy being with the family.

The only difference we’ve noticed, is we don’t ride as many rides as we used to on foot, because the ECV is slower going. I tend to become invisible, so I have to be extra careful. That and I tend to get separated from my family easier than when we all walked. Also, the view from the ECV is of a lot of rear-ends. LOL

It’s definitely a life changer. Without it, I couldn’t do many of the things I get to do. I’ve been having a few more issues lately and am thinking of going to the Mag Shock foldable wheelchair in a year or so. I’ve read nothing but rave reviews about it and the Abilities Expo is Houston in August of next year, so I plan to try it out there. (Unless I find I need something sooner)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter