RA diagnosis without positive blood test?

StitchesGr8Fan

DIS Veteran
My PCP suspects I may have rheumatoid arthritis as I have many of the symptoms. She has run the standard bloodwork and the rheumatoid factor came back negative. She wants to send me to a rheumatologist that will look at the whole picture, not just the result of one test. Has anyone gotten a positive RA diagnosis based off other things besides the rheumatoid factor test?

YUP-me and eventually we found out that it is "severe, progressive and not responsive to treatment" (I went through the gamut of treatments and FINALLY found one that works-it took a LONG time-6 years and a scary drug reaction to find it out and I've lost a radial head to it).

Long story starting with my PCP not believing it, but it did end up being RA. When I was diagnosed 8 years ago, I already had erosions. I'm glad your PCP is listening to you. GO to the Rheumatologist, they will figure it out. The sooner it is diagnosed and treated the better off you will be. FWIW a fairly significant "chunk" of RA patients have a negative RF, I have seen 20% and higher.

Yes! My mother was eaten up with RA for years (twisted, gnarled hands, etc) and her RA was never positive. My hubby has RA and sometimes his is pos, sometimes it's neg. I believe there is a high % of false negatives.

My Gramma figured out that I had it as a kid as she had RA for her whole life, she took me to her doctor and I was diagnosed with juvenile RA. Many years later my new doc found I'm RF positive. He did another blood test also positive and now is sending me to a rheumatologist. My aunts both have it and one had a hard time with the tests coming up negative, but one even has swan neck deformity of her fingers.

If you have many of the symptoms then the Rheumatologist should be able to clear things up for you. Also I've read that your results change when you're not in the midst of a flare. Also, they may be able to see the RA on x-rays, that happened to me, even before the blood tests years ago. Wishing you the very best! :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!