R: Medieval Desserts

Pam

DIS Veteran
My son's Boy Scout Troop is going to a council wide Scout Medieval weekend event. They have to have costumes (my SIL made his and it is fantastic!) and on Saturday night they are having a pig roast. The Scouts have to bring a dessert and I wanted something along the Medieval theme.

The only thing I can think of is a tart of some kind - I want to keep this simple, something the Scouts could whip up themselves, do you have any ideas?

Also - some of the other Scouts' parents don't want to get as elaborate costumes as my son had - does anyone have any simple, inexpensive ideas I could present to the Troop. The boys also have to make Coat of Arms shields, any thoughts on that?

Thanks!!!

Pam

Those boys probably won't like this idea, but a pair of tights with a tunic top over them would do as a costume. Also, if any of them has one of those funky fleece hats that looks sort of like this:jester: they could go as a court jester. This would be especially good if they know how to juggle or do some easy magic. You might also look into renting a costume. Lots of places rent this type of thing. As for the sheilds, a large piece of cardboard from a box, cut in the shape of their choice, painted with symbols of what is important in their lives, and then another piece of heavy cardboard glued on the back for a handle would work.
I think that desserts back then were fairly simple things like puddings and fruit. They didn't usually have the fine milled flours that we are used to, so things like cakes were unheard of. What they had instead, was probably a version of fruit cake made with dried fruits like apples and apricots. Here is a recipe for one that is probably easy enough for the boys to have a hand in making. If nothing else, they can help chop the fruit.

Elizabeth Jacob's All Natural Fruit Cake

Soak 24 hours in 8 Tbsp. juice:
2 cups raisins 1/2 cup currants
2 cups golden sultanas 1/2 cup figs
1-1/2 cups pitted prunes, apricots or dried apples
1 cup dried pineapple 1/2 cup dates

Mix in:
1 cup chopped nuts 1 peeled grated apple
1 Tbsp. lemon juice

Sift together:
2-1/2 cups flour 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking powder pinch salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg pinch allspice

Cream:
1 cup butter 1-1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel
1 cup honey 5 eggs

Make batter of sifted and creamed ingredients. Fold into fruits and nuts. Bake at 300F for 2 hours, then at 250F for 1-1/2 hours.

My son was a knight for halloween a few years ago...all home made but looked great....
Sheild was strong board covered in aluminum foil and used felt for the fleur de lis and a crown...made from the same...and a sword ....he really liked that...
Tunic just used a long t-shirt...and used felt to put the crest on....needed a belt to hold the sword...
This was very easy and inexpensive...(didnt have any money at the time!) also a fun project for him to design his crest....Have fun....
Holycow

Thanks guys!!!

Those are some great suggestions - and very nifty ideas for costume ideas that are inexpensive.

I went to a few Medieval websites this morning and you are correct, Baloo, that the desserts were mainly puddings and also, tarts. There were a few recipes for cakes but they appeared to be for the noble born.

The ideas of the shields from the two of you (Baloo and Holycow) were right in line with mine. I was also thinking of the felt and cardboard. They have two weeks in which to make everything.

Thanks again.
Pam

My husband and I attend the Utah Shakespearean Festival every year and they always have wenches selling a turnovers? or what ever they are called. Something similar to a hostess pie. You could buy the refridgerated pie dough and cut it in 1/2 or 1/4(or you could use refridgerator biscuits, flattened) and then put a few tablespoons of pie filling in and close up tight. brush with butter and sprinkle with a little sugar and bake. they would be easy and less mess than a tart since the scouts could eat them with their hands.
I just remembered something, my son said on one of his scout trips his leader brought along a pie cooker for camping, I'm not sure how it worked but I think you used just a slice of white bread and filling sounds weird but he said they loved them!!:pinkbounc

zbanker..i just posted on the request for camping recipes about the sandwich irons. They make great grilled sanwiches and the pies, I've also been told muffins, waffles and corn bread mix cooks well in them also.
My grandmother always fried her pies that are similar to the ones zbanker described. but they can be baked also. She always used dried apples and or peaches.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter