R: cream of Asparagus soup with asparagus rolled in bread

dt

Mouseketeer
Made these for dinner last night and thought I'd share.

Good for today's cool rainy weather in New England

Asparagus En Croute

12 slices of good-quality white sandwich bread
½ pound Jarlsberg or other Swiss-style cheese
½ cup Dijon mustard
12 asparagus spears, cooked till tender-crisp
4 tablespoons melted butter, approximately

Roll the bread as thin as possible with a rolling pin; trim crusts. You will have pieces of bread about 3-4 inches square.

Lay squares out on a work surface and cover them with a damp towel for 10 minutes. Cut the cheese into fingers approximately the size of the asparagus spears.

Spread each bread square with mustard. Lay an asparagus spear and a strip of cheese on each bread square and roll up. Place seam side down on a buttered baking sheet.

Brush rolls with melted butter. Bake in the upper third of a 450 degree oven for 10 minutes, or until brown and bubbling. Serve immediately.
12 rolls, 4-6 servings

(note - it only took 5 minutes to brown when I made these - so watch them carefully)

Cream of Asparagus Soup #2

This soup may be served hot or cold.

4 cups chopped yellow onions, about 4 large onions
8 tbs. sweet butter
2 quarts chicken broth
2 pounds asparagus, trimmed
½ cup heavy cream or ½ cup buttermilk, for cold soup
Salt and black pepper to taste

Melt the butter in a large pot and simmer the onions until very soft and golden, about 25 minutes, stirring often.
Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
Meanwhile, trim the tips from the asparagus and reserve. Chop the remaining part of the spears into 1-inch pieces and drop into the boiling chicken broth, cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20-30 minutes, or until asparagus is very soft.
Puree the soup in a food processor fitted with a steel blade, or in a blender, until smooth. Return the puree to the pot, add the reserved asparagus tips, and simmer until they are tender but still firm, 5-8 minutes. If serving the soup hot, season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
If serving the soup cold, remove from heat, cool, stir in the cream or buttermilk, and refrigerate covered. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve very cold. 8 to 10 servings.

Here's the website for other asparagus recipes:

http://www.victoriaisland.net/recipes/

My mom used to make an appetizer that reminds me of this asparagus bread recipe. Sounds good and easy to make.

Here's an old one using mushrooms:

Toasted Mushroom Rolls

1/2 lb mushrooms
3 Tbls flour
1/4 Cup butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 Cup light cream
2 tsp of minced chives
1 tsp lemon juice
1 small loaf of white bread

Clean and chop mushrooms, saute for 5 minutes in butter. Blend in flour and salt. Stir in cream. Cook until thick. Add chives and lemon juice. Remove from heat and cool.

Remove crust from bread. Roll slices thin. Spread with mixture, and cut in half.

Bake in 400º oven about 10 minutes or until light brown and bubbly.

You could make up many fillings and I think it would be great.

Yes, pretty easy and tasty for a quick appetizer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts