Quick Reviews from Two-Weeks Eating in September

Pooh's-Honey-Pot

DVC owner since 2020 - VGF, BLT and SSR
Hi all 😊

I thought I would do some quick reviews from our dining in September. We were there two weeks with free dining and are both pescatarian. I wasn’t planning on doing a report so there aren’t photos of everything, and I don’t recall all our lunches, but my musings may help some people… also there aren’t many snack photos as I tended to live on Mickey ice cream bars. I don’t judge myself at all.

Night one – Arrived at Beach Club at 6pm. Checked out BC and YC quick service and weren’t particularly impressed with the veggie offerings in either. Eventually decided on the individual flatbreads. My BF just asked for triple cheese on his, whereas I had a few token vegetables too (pepper, mushroom and onion)! These actually really hit the spot – hot, cheesy with a nice crisp base. We had these again on our last afternoon whilst waiting for ME and they had taken way the majority of the vegetable choices – only pepper was left which was odd. We also had these mickey brownies which were pretty good.
BC.jpgBC1.jpg

Day 2 – Lunch (no photo); we both had the shrimp flatbread at Pizzafari. This was good and a pretty generous portion of shrimp.

Dinner – by far our favourite meal of the trip – Ale and Compass. Service was good, ambiance was lovely, and the food was fab. So, so improved from when it was Captain’s Grill. I had the shrimp pappardelle pasta and it was so creamy and lush. My BF had the New England Seafood Pot pie (with a side of truffle fries that the server told him he wouldn’t be able to manage… she was right and didn’t charge him for them, bless her!). Every bite was good. For dessert I had lemon curd meringue pie and BF had the trio of puddings, which was a winner. We enjoyed this so much we cancelled Tutto Italia the next week and came back here again. Had a long of a wait for our table that night, but otherwise it was spot-on again. This is on our repeat list for next year.
Y&C.jpgY&C2.jpgY&C3.jpg

Day 3 – Lunch we went to Casey’s. The sheer, unmitigated disappointment of the miniature size of the plant-based dog. The taste was fine, but until this also comes as a foot-long we wont be back! it didn't deserve a photo.

Dinner was Mama Melrose. I had the Italian Pasta with shrimp. No idea with Bf had! This was OK…. But VERY, VERY heavy on the garlic. We both commented on it (and could taste it all the next day!). We both refer to this now as “the garlic restaurant”. Not a repeat visit place.
Mama melrose.jpg

Last edited:
Cont...

Day 4 – Lunch was Sunshine Seasons. We shared two dishes (korma with plant based chicken and one that I can’t remember )…. I remember they were OK but not amazing. I appreciate an indoors QS in Epcot though, compared to doing the F&WF!

Dinner was Rainforest Café – we ordered the volcano brownie for “up to 4 people”… the next table mocked us when it came out and said we would never finish it, so we decided to show them who the boss was… Food here was absolutely fine; I know its not amazing but BF had never been and I wanted him to experience it. Our server was brilliant – so chatty and friendly.
Rainforest2.jpg

Day 5 – Woodys Lunchbox s’more French toast. Nothing to not like here, apart from the long line to get it! Sweet and stodgy! I couldn’t have eaten a whole one though!
toystory.jpg

Dinner – Chefs De France, where we both had the prix fixe menu. The French onion soup and the creme brulee were both worth every calorie. The macaroni cheese (the only veggie offering) was pretty bland and extremely stodgy. We both ate less than half.
chefs.jpg

Day 6 – Breakfast at Cape May. Loved this, again we had a good server, the character interaction wasn’t rushed and there was plenty of good hot food. We’ve already decided to try dinner here next year.
Capemay.jpg

Dinner was Via Napoli where we shared a cheese pizza with added mushroom. Pizza was lovely, service was not. Our ADR was 7.20 and we were seated on time and we only had this one course. At 8.50pm I had to go looking for our server to ask for the bill as we had given up on it ever coming – we nearly missed our last ever chance to see Illuminations because of her. She was not good! And I’m still waiting for m straw for my drink that she promised me!
Via napoli.jpg

Day 7 – Lunch was snacking at the F&WF. We both had the lobster roll from America which we loved though we both said it seemed smaller this year. We had the Warm Raclette Swiss Cheese with Baby Potatoes, Cornichons and Baguette from the Alps which distinguished itself by being dry and bland. We finished with a lovely shrimp dish from China and my first ever bubble tea – I LOVED this!

Dinner – we went to Tony’s Town Square, which I know gets poor reviews but I love Lady and the Tramp and hadn’t been here for at least ten years so wanted to try it again. It wasn’t bad! Seated on time, OK server, and nice fresh food. I had the house made gnocchi primavera (I hadn’t seen a vegetable for a week up until this point) and BF had a pizza. We both said we would happily go back here. After this we went to the After Fireworks Dessert party where I was delighted to find a cup of tea, though horrified that I had to put cream in it instead of milk! I think we both tried one of everything – this is my first plate. This was fun to do but I felt it was oversold – there wasn’t room to breathe in the Plaza Garden by the time everyone arrived.
Dessert party.jpgDessertparty2.jpg
Sorry about the sideways photos, it won't let me turn them!

Last edited:
Cont.

Day 8 – Lunch was Deluxe Burger. We asked for the plant based patty, but in the standard cheeseburger bun as the toppings on the actual vegan burger did not allure us at all! We also shared a side of fries. Lovely friendly server and this was amazing – one of my top lunches of the whole two weeks.
Deluxe.jpg

Dinner was Narcoossee where we go every year. We’ve always had good food and excellent service here and this year was no exception. We try go early and have a drink or two at the sunken bar as the staff are so friendly (they gave me a flashing cube in my wine for free! Always so lovely!). We both had steamed lobster which was fresh and buttery, I had the Nascoossee chocolate bar which SHOULD be the famed dessert here (I would walk the Atlantic to get this again) and BF had the almond crusted cheesecake which he loves, but, well, isn’t chocolate if you ask me.

Narcoossee.jpgNarcoossee2.jpgNarcoossee3.jpg

Day 9 – Lunch was BOG… I can’t remember what I had but for dessert I had the crème brulee which is always my weapon of choice if its available (this sentence will come back to haunt me later at The Wave). It was lovely! Our meal was really slow arriving. We think it was because we also ordered alcohol as our friends ordered after us, yet their food arrived first, and they didn't have any alcohol.
BOG.jpg

Dinner was Coral Reef where I had the grilled garden vegetable skewer. This was very flavoursome and shockingly felt fairly healthy. I put that right by having the chocolate wave for dessert which was also nice. It was our first time here and I’d go back.
Coral reef.jpg

Day 10 – lunch was our first ever time in Blaze Pizza. This was amazing and kicks all other Disney pizza off the chart (not hard to do, I know). Such a variety of toppings, sauces and cheese – we were in heaven and are definitely having a meal here next year!
Blaze.jpgBlaze2.jpg

Dinner was our second time at Ale and Compass which we enjoyed just as much as the first time. Also on the repeat list for next year.

Day 11 -Dinner was The Wave – we’ve been here three years running and each time the food is less impressive. We will be giving it a rest in the future. I had the noodle bowl which was average, and the crème brulee which was disgusting. It’s the no added sugar dessert and the sugar substitute was hideously over sweet (and I like sweet!) and the texture was just odd. Not like a crème brulee at all. I left most of it. Second worst meal of the trip.

Last edited:
Day 12 – dinner was at 1900 Park Fayre. The character interaction was good and the food was OK. The chef was really rude to me when I asked him a question though but I couldn’t be bothered to make a fuss. We were extremely late getting seated and the hostesses were not in control of the situation at all - it was carnage out there. This restaurant is LOUD and we weren’t in the mood for it so couldn’t wait to get out of there. When you don’t have children you have to really be in the right frame of mind for 200 of them screaming at the same time and this was not that moment!! Nothing against the restaurant, just a wrong choice on my part.

Day 13 – Dinner was The Boathouse, the biggest disappointment of the vacation. I had Paddlefish booked originally and then on a couple of different Facebook pages people convinced me to change to The Boathouse, saying that the food was far superior. It may have been… but the NOISE! As this was a two-credit restaurant we assumed it was going to be a lovely, romantic date night, like Narcoossee. No. It’s like a huge, echoey canteen where everyone around you is drunk, shouting and banging cutlery as loudly on the table as they can. A server (not our one) actually came and apologised as we had been sat in the middle of two large parties. It was hideous. I ordered the lobster which wasn’t particularly nice – I ended up just eating the baked potato that it came with. We ordered our desserts to go and just got out of there. Such a poor use of two credits. I am still bemused by all the people who recommended it to me. Never again.

Our final night was Yachtsman Steakhouse. Our reservation was 7.15pm and we wanted to see Epcot Forever at 9pm as it would be our only chance to see it ever. At 7.35pm we finally got seated. By 7.50 we still hadn’t even seen our server or ordered drinks. We had a conversation about whether to asked to be served quickly and then get our dessert to go (which I would have done!) but BF was really enjoying the look of the place so for once I took my planning head off and sacrificed Epcot Forever so we could enjoy ourselves. It was worth it! The warm bread and garlic butter were divine, I had the sea bass which was perfect, and then the banana bread pudding. This was right up there with our favourite meals of the trip. We finally left at 9.30 so don’t book here on a night when you have firework plans!!!
Yachtsman.jpg

Yachtsman2.jpg

Yachtman4.jpg

A few random snacks:
Mickey pretzels – way too salty for me, even after I picked most of the obvious salt off. Not sure how people eat these!
Pretzel.jpg

Galaxy Edge blue milk – I liked it! I’ve seen a lot of bad reviews but I’d have it again!
Blue milk.jpg

Gaston cinnamon roll -horribly dry. These have really gone downhill the last couple of years. Bring back main street bakery!
Gaston.jpg

Carrot cake cookie – we had several of these and they retain the title of my BFs favourite snack across the whole World. He gets very cross when I demand a share.
carrotcake.jpg

Salted Pecan Triple Chocolate-Chip Cookie from Norway bakery – this was recommended on a food blog and sounded lovely. It didn’t have much taste though and was quite dry.
Norway.jpg

Cheshire cat tail – YES! The breakfast of kings! Loved this. Basically a chocolate croissant and nothing can be wrong with that.
Chrshire tail.jpg

Arendelle aqua cone – very nice but very sweet. Had to leave one of the sugar cubes. Bad form.
arandelle.jpg

And that was us done! Happy to answer any questions 😊

Last edited:

Thank you :) Such fun to relive the trips... we don't go for another 326 days and I'm already planning next years restaurants! :rotfl2:

Great review! I'm heading down tomorrow for the race and I definitely would love to try Blaze pizza. Though with food and wine going on I'm not sure that will happen. So many of your items I hadn't seen before!

Really enjoyed your report! I am also a pescatarian. I'm going in Feb 20 but, sadly, no free dining. I liked the look of those pizzas! This trip I'm going to stay away from fried food (Fish and Chips, I'm looking at you!)

Thank you for taking the time to review. Bummed about your wave review. Trying it for the first time next week but for lunch. Appreciate your honesty .

Great review. Thankyou for sharing your thoughts and the photos. Just like the previous poster I’m sad the Wave was such a disappointing experience for you.

You’ve definitely confirmed my need to try a Cheshire Cat Tail. I have a sweet tooth and it sounds like the perfect holiday breakfast/or snack!

Thank you for taking the time to review. Bummed about your wave review. Trying it for the first time next week but for lunch. Appreciate your honesty .
We may have just had an unlucky experience - it was my fourth time there and I'd never been disappointed before, so hopefully your lunch was a lot nicer!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter