Quick resort advice needed! Where to stay, where to stay...

twinsouvenirs

Mother of Dragons :)
Going for a DVC preview weekend with DH & the babies for a few nights, probably no park visit at all (3 nights total). We are waiting on a GFV contract so we'll likely be members by the time of the trip. We can pick between the following:

BCV, BWV, and VWL on cash ressie

or we can split the stay and do two nights at SSR and two nights at BWV or VWL.

We'll be traveling with twins that will hit 1 yrs old on the trip. We may not go to the parks at all, and if we do we would probably just go one day.

I'm still not clear, what are you pre-viewing? What do you want to accomplish during this trip?

:earsboy: Bill

She got a great deal on Kool-aid, Bill. ;)

If they already bought, I don't understand why they are trying to decide where to buy? Adding on already?

Guess I'm getting old. :confused3

Some of us like a little kool-aid, we bought VGF. :thumbsup2

lol

We did buy a small amount of GFV. But we want to add 200-300 more resale points at two other resorts, depending on how often DH is convinced he will want to visit a DVC property.

We know we'll like GFV but BCV v BWK is tough. We know we want an epcot resort for at least 100 pts, probably BWK but that is because we enjoy it more--in 5 yrs, the kids will likely prefer BCV and Stormalong Bay.

We also are inclined to get the balance of the points at SSR but we're not quite sure--DH in theory likes the theming (he comes from Horse Show People) and until recently I think the points were the best value of the resorts (weighing length of contract, resale cost, and MFs)

Does this clarify?

...We also are inclined to get the balance of the points at SSR but we're not quite sure--DH in theory likes the theming (he comes from Horse Show People) and until recently I think the points were the best value of the resorts (weighing length of contract, resale cost, and MFs)...
So what do you think now is the best value of the resorts?

So what do you think now is the best value of the resorts?

I couldn't say. It seems that SSR resale points have been flying off the shelf and the price is rising a bit; that said they still are probably the best deal but that relies on the current rates of MF increases (I am using estimates that are probably pretty aggressive, like 3% on BLT, SSR, OKW, 5.5% per year on properties like BC, BWK, AK & WL, 7% on Aulani, VB, & HH. I see OKW w/out the extension as being neck and neck. I can't get a reliable resale average on OKW extended.

My ESTIMATES for 100 pts annualized average out of pocket cost of contract based on resale purchase at amount a few points higher than average current pass costs of ROFR (not getting into opportunity costs, etc, because they don't vary by property)--these will be way lower at year one and way higher at year 29, 41, 44, 47, 51 or whatever)

Aulani-$5,018.41
AKV-$2,407.41
BLT-$1,174.09
BC-$1,605.57
BWK-$1,615.45
GCV (not enough data)
OKW57(not enough data)
OKW42-$1,067.21
SS-$1,057.08
WL-$1,558.95
HH-$2,013.44
VB-$2,376.93
GF(not enough data)

Of course this assumes you have no resort preference and that you are strictly judging on an annual cost basis... if you want the longer contract, SSR obviously wins... if you want a shorter contract (we want ours staggered in length, GFV being the long one) then perhaps OKW is the level of commitment that would work.

And honestly, because there is no way to REALLY project maintenance fee increase levels, there is really know way to know for sure which properties will remain the cheapest. The upfront cost is only 13%-20% of your lifetime costs depending if you go resale or direct.

Do you have a different take? I'd love to hear it!

We have found that resort preference takes priority over price. I don't want to spend tons of money on a Disney vacation and not love where we are staying. Again for us the resort experience and theming is as important as the parks if not more so.

We have found that resort preference takes priority over price. I don't want to spend tons of money on a Disney vacation and not love where we are staying. Again for us the resort experience and theming is as important as the parks if not more so.

Excellent insight--you are right of course. I'm sure an extra few bucks will be worth staying where we want to.

That makes me think I should consider HH rather than SSR since SSR is usually available at short notice. My family goes to HH fairly often.

:thumbsup2

Bill

:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter