Questions for people who visited TDR who are not from Japan.

cozyplaidblanket

Earning My Ears
How many days did you do the Disney parks, and how many did you spend exploring Tokyo? Did you stay in a Disney hotel for part of your trip? Would it be a bad idea to stay in a Disney hotel for an entire trip to Tokyo, and spend some days in the parks and some days seeing the city? Thanks.

Going in a few months.
3-Days Disney Parks staying onsite
2-Days Tokyo staying in Tokyo
1-Day trip to Hiroshima

Disney to Tokyo looks to be a 40min'ish trip and we did not want to spend the time going back and fourth so we are moving to a hotel in Tokyo once we finish with Disney.

We have our trip planned for a week in June:
- 4 nights in Miracosta
- 3 nights in Tokyo (booked at the Hotel Gracery aka Godzilla hotel)

From all of the Vlogs I've seen that had foreigners stay in Disney and visit Tokyo or vice versa have said that it is a pain to make the travel every day. I'm only going to be in Tokyo for 3 days, so I want to spend as much time in the city as possible. We plan to stay out late in the city, so I guess it depends what you're expecting to do.

I’ve read that people suggest staying in Tokyo instead of by Disney if you’re going to be in the city. But I guess it depending on price and where in Tokyo you plan to go. I’m going to do definitely 3 days Disney and maybe 3 days Tokyo. I’m not so sure where else to go because I’m doing awful at planning anywhere else but Tokyo lol.

I like to do an evening pass followed by 4 days in the parks. We do a split stay and spend our disney time at a good neighbour hotel either the hilton or sheraton, and our tokyo time in a hotel in the city. I wouldn't stay the whole time at a Disney hotel, they are really expensive and a bit of a distance from most tokyo attractions. You can find something just as nice, cheaper, and closer right in tokyo.

Our first trip, we did 4 full days at Disney, plus we did an evening pass on our arrival day. We spent about a week in Tokyo, but we took day trips to Yokohama and Matsumoto.

Our second trip we spent four days at Disney, and three in Tokyo, but we also spent a few days in Osaka, including a day trip to Hiroshima.

We are having our first trip to Japan this July. Sightseeing in the summer heat is not enjoyable, but as a teacher, I can only travel in the summer. So, I plan to visit Hokkaido for a few days in milder temperature and see the blooming lavender.

We will stay 4.5 days at TDR, 5 days in Tokyo, 2.5 days in Kyoto, 1.5 days in Osaka, 1 day in Nara (ryokan), 2 days in Sapporo and 1 day in Nishitetsu (ryokan). Then we will fly to Hong Kong for a week.

You guys have convinced us that we will do an evening pass our first day at Disney. We already had the 4 days following scheduled but I think the first evening will be fun. Now my question is which park should we do for that first evening?

As far as where we are staying:
Tokyo-5 nights (Airbnb)
Hakone-1 night
Kyoto-6 nights (apartment hotel)
TDR-6 nights (Hilton)

We really wanted a lot of our places to have laundry available and a kitchen

First trip to Japan, 6 weeks all over Honshu and NO Disney :), 2nd trip 5 weeks all over Honshu with 3 nights at Miracosta 3 park days, 3rd trip of only 14 days was a 2 nights at Sheraton with package and 3 days of parks and the rest was spend in a hotel, the Sakura Fleur Aoyama, in Shibuya.

We never go to Japan just to visit TDR. We always visit Tokyo, TDR + new places. For example:

Tokyo + TDR + Hokkaido
Tokyo + TDR + Kyoto and Osaka

On our next trip we plan Tokyo + TDR + Nagoya + Takayama / Shirakawago. We usually spend 2 nights in TDR, 3 nights in Tokyo then 5 nights in other places.

Would it be a bad idea to stay in a Disney hotel for an entire trip to Tokyo, and spend some days in the parks and some days seeing the city? Thanks.

We went to Paris a few years ago, and spent five nights there. Two of the days we went out to Disney and three of the days we spent touring Paris. When I go again, I think I'll do the reverse, spend five nights in a Disney hotel and go into Paris for two of the days. It certainly wouldn't be a bad idea to visit Tokyo like that. The train ride into Tokyo is fairly short, and you could definitely stay five or six nights in one of the Disney hotels or the Sheraton or Hilton there and go into Tokyo a few times to see some of the highlights.

You guys have convinced us that we will do an evening pass our first day at Disney. We already had the 4 days following scheduled but I think the first evening will be fun. Now my question is which park should we do for that first evening?

We made the same decision as well. We were going to originally go for 3 days, but the last day 20K Leagues is going to be up before going under refurbishment is the day we arrive!

We are having our first trip to Japan this July. Sightseeing in the summer heat is not enjoyable, but as a teacher, I can only travel in the summer. So, I plan to visit Hokkaido for a few days in milder temperature and see the blooming lavender.

We will stay 4.5 days at TDR, 5 days in Tokyo, 2.5 days in Kyoto, 1.5 days in Osaka, 1 day in Nara (ryokan), 2 days in Sapporo and 1 day in Nishitetsu (ryokan). Then we will fly to Hong Kong for a week.
We're going in July as well. :thumbsup2 We also didn't have a choice as my husband can't leave in May (work related) and DD's dance team Nationals is in June. We had delayed lat year and it was either go in July or wait another 2 years so we'll deal with the heat.

Hello,

Going in July this year too :-)
Will be our first time in Japan (we're from Switzerland)....
Can't wait to be there!

We did 3.5 days at TDR (1 at each park and then 1 hop with the first night just relaxing at the hotel) and then 2.5 days in Tokyo. We would absolutely stay near the parks when doing the parks and then another hotel somewhere more central for general city sightseeing. The Tokyo metro/subway was great and certainly doable to commute but TDR is quite a ways out from central Tokyo and in our minds it was important to maximize our park time as much as possible.

We were only in Tokyo for 4/5 days due to the way it got added onto a Hawaii trip last minute, but here's what we did:

Sunday-Thursday - 4 nights in Tokyo, hotel 2 blocks from Tokyo Station
Sunday night - Tokyo dinner and walking around
Monday- Toured Tokyo
Tuesday/Wed - Disney
Thursday - Tokyo , flew out that night

This worked for us because of our short period of time. Getting to TDR wasn't bad each morning because we were staying near Tokyo Station, so it was an easy train ride.

HOWEVER - in the future, we will go for at least 8-14 days and stay 3-4 in the TDR area just to make things simpler. But for those that switching hotels doesn't make sense, staying near Tokyo Station was just fine.

I feel like we ended up giving short-shrift to Tokyo, but my kids would have happily spent more time at TDR. Our trip breakdown was:

Arrived Sunday afternoon, quick evening visit to toy store in Ginza
Monday morning -- trains to Hakone, arrived Gora mid-afternoon, did the Hakone open air museum
Tuesday -- Hakone round-course
Wednesday to Saturday morning -- Kyoto temples, with a day trip to Nara
Saturday -- bullet train back to Tokyo, overnight in Shinjuku with Robot Restaurant visit
Sunday -- Tokyo Metropolitan building, Shinjuku Gyoen garden, headed to Maihama
Monday to Thursday -- TDR, stayed at MyStays Maihama
Friday -- transferred hotels to Asakusa area, Kappabashi street, Sensoji temple
Saturday -- Edo Tokyo museum, airport

I feel like we ended up giving short-shrift to Tokyo, but my kids would have happily spent more time at TDR. Our trip breakdown was:

Arrived Sunday afternoon, quick evening visit to toy store in Ginza
Monday morning -- trains to Hakone, arrived Gora mid-afternoon, did the Hakone open air museum
Tuesday -- Hakone round-course
Wednesday to Saturday morning -- Kyoto temples, with a day trip to Nara
Saturday -- bullet train back to Tokyo, overnight in Shinjuku with Robot Restaurant visit
Sunday -- Tokyo Metropolitan building, Shinjuku Gyoen garden, headed to Maihama
Monday to Thursday -- TDR, stayed at MyStays Maihama
Friday -- transferred hotels to Asakusa area, Kappabashi street, Sensoji temple
Saturday -- Edo Tokyo museum, airport
How did you like the Robot Restaurant? Me and SO initially didn't plan on it as I've heard it's very touristy, but I've also read a lot of good things about it. We're staying right down the street at Hotel Gracery when we are in Tokyo, which makes it even more convenient for us.

How did you like the Robot Restaurant? Me and SO initially didn't plan on it as I've heard it's very touristy, but I've also read a lot of good things about it. We're staying right down the street at Hotel Gracery when we are in Tokyo, which makes it even more convenient for us.

That's where we stayed! It was a great hotel, make sure you ask for a high floor room. We were on the 30th floor and had amazing views (see pictures). Our kids (8 and 10) loved the Robot Restaurant show, though there's not a lot of actual show -- lots of drink and souvenir breaks. We got discount tickets on Klook for the first show and paid $44 each. It's not something I would necessarily pay that much for without kids, but there were lots of people there without kids who were having a lot of fun. I would maybe liken it to Vegas -- if you're the type of person who thinks Vegas is fun and outlandish, you'll probably enjoy the Robot Restaurant; if you think it is garish and over the top, you probably won't.

Attachments

• Shinjuku skyline.jpg
    Shinjuku skyline.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Shinjuku daytime.jpg
    Shinjuku daytime.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 11
That's where we stayed! It was a great hotel, make sure you ask for a high floor room. We were on the 30th floor and had amazing views (see pictures). Our kids (8 and 10) loved the Robot Restaurant show, though there's not a lot of actual show -- lots of drink and souvenir breaks. We got discount tickets on Klook for the first show and paid $44 each. It's not something I would necessarily pay that much for without kids, but there were lots of people there without kids who were having a lot of fun. I would maybe liken it to Vegas -- if you're the type of person who thinks Vegas is fun and outlandish, you'll probably enjoy the Robot Restaurant; if you think it is garish and over the top, you probably won't.
We decided to skip the robot restaurant on our upcoming trip. We’d rather spend the time in the city or doing something historical. We aren’t Vegas people at all

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!