Questions for BLT owners

jimmytammy

<font color=purple>Swivel, it's a hard habit to br
We currently own points at BWV and thinking of maybe selling those and repurchasing BLT points. We also own at VWL(Still refuse to call it Boulder Ridge:duck:)and will keep those for life.I think our reasoning behind this is our changing attitudes towards vacationing at WDW. We have liked the idea of BWV simply for F&W proximity and the 11 month window. Walking into Epcot or HS big plus too.

But we really like the feel of BLT, being on the monorail for the Poly and GF(mostly for the restaurants)plus the places at Contemporary and TOTWL(love idea of owners only at TOTWL)and walking into MK are already pluses in my book. And boat to WL and FW nice perks too.

There are certain times of the year we have been able to book both resorts at the 7 month window, so we like that we can still stay at either resort on other points. But F&W Festival and early Dec. have always seemed tough to get either resort at the 7 month mark

So as owners of BLT, tell me what I am missing? Good, bad or indifferent, would you buy again knowing what you know now about BLT?

With the new additions at HS and EPCOT you might want to stay with BWV, at least for a few years until the newness wears off. You would then have great access to both, EPCOT and HS, plus the VWL has always been good for MK, though not a close as BLT. JMHO

BLT is big, so except for the most busy of times, you should be able to get at least a 1BR Lake View there. The biggest advantages of owning there are the ability to book standard view rooms, which I actually am not even interested as an owner, and the ability to book studios, which many complain about for their small size.
The big difference between being a BLT and BWV owner is the amount of years left on the contracts, and for around the same price per point on the resale market.

The big difference between being a BLT and BWV owner is the amount of years left on the contracts, and for around the same price per point on the resale market.
This is a reason too I am thinking as extending a contract would either keep me going until I am 90(I pick that my kids can roll me through the parks)or being able to share with them

With the new additions at HS and EPCOT you might want to stay with BWV, at least for a few years until the newness wears off. You would then have great access to both, EPCOT and HS, plus the VWL has always been good for MK, though not a close as BLT. JMHO
Considered that which IMO may make BWV a bit more attractive now as a sell. But also considered that these things would remain a draw for us too. Decisions, decisions!!

I dont own at BLT, but I would keep my BW contract and sell WL for BLT. This way, you have access to walk to three parks and a monorail for one all without ever needing to get on a bus or boat for a park with wxception of AK.

Last edited:
We own at BLT. We'd buy there again hands down.
  • We really love the location - walking back after fireworks, the easy security line in. Knowing we control our arrival time helps too, and we can take breaks for a swim very easily!
  • MK is the heart of Disney World for us, and we love being so close. You can see the castle when you're waiting for an elevator. The very quick walk over to Contemporary has a gorgeous view too. You're right in the heart of things.
  • Lake view is a lot more points than standard, and our last standard view was really great (we could see castle and fireworks from our balcony, and the lake to the right. Straight ahead it wasn't great, but we angled our chairs a bit and sure enjoyed those fireworks.
  • We also actually like the low-key theme. It's a calm break from the parks. I know that's not for everyone.
  • We also like the high rise layout since everything is super close.
  • Our kids still love the pool, they liked it better than the awesome Kidani one (still don't quite get that). We like that its in the shade in the late afternoon/evening,
  • TOTWL and the great options at the Contemporary, plus such easy access to the other resorts via monorail or bus, make us very happy too. :)
That said, if we ever add on, we would do it at BW or BC so we could also walk to Epcot. :) We really like that easy park access, and value that over other factors. We've loved it so much with BLT that another walking-park spot would be next.

Good luck.

We own at BLT. We'd buy there again hands down.
  • We really love the location - walking back after fireworks, the easy security line in. Knowing we control our arrival time helps too, and we can take breaks for a swim very easily!
  • MK is the heart of Disney World for us, and we love being so close. You can see the castle when you're waiting for an elevator. The very quick walk over to Contemporary has a gorgeous view too. You're right in the heart of things.
  • Lake view is a lot more points than standard, and our last standard view was really great (we could see castle and fireworks from our balcony, and the lake to the right. Straight ahead it wasn't great, but we angled our chairs a bit and sure enjoyed those fireworks.
  • We also actually like the low-key theme. It's a calm break from the parks. I know that's not for everyone.
  • We also like the high rise layout since everything is super close.
  • Our kids still love the pool, they liked it better than the awesome Kidani one (still don't quite get that). We like that its in the shade in the late afternoon/evening,
  • TOTWL and the great options at the Contemporary, plus such easy access to the other resorts via monorail or bus, make us very happy too. :)
That said, if we ever add on, we would do it at BW or BC so we could also walk to Epcot. :) We really like that easy park access, and value that over other factors. We've loved it so much with BLT that another walking-park spot would be next.

Good luck.

Our ORIGINAL plan was to buy at BLT for our MK resort and then at BWV(my preference) or BCV (DH preference) for an Epcot resort. But somehow we ended up with VGF....?? :confused3

We bought at BLT for all of the reasons above, but when it came to picking our 2nd resort, we had a hard time with the 2042 end dates. We also realized we had a ton of SPG points that we could use for a room at the Swan or Dolphin so we did have SOME ability to stay in the Epcot area, in "studio-like" accommodations. I still look longingly at BCV/BWV contracts listed for sale, but have resigned myself to the fact that we will just have to take our chances at 7mo, or maybe rent points if we really want to be in a larger villa (not a hotel room) during F&W.

Would I buy at BLT again? Yes - I would have bought more points to start with.
Would I sell BWV to buy BLT? That's a tough one. I love BWV, but we were deterred from buying it because of the contract length and the fact that the 2br are all lock-offs.

Wow - a thought invoking question for me Jimmy!

BLT is what made me declare if it was DVC we'd be buying. And we did! But before that we also discovered resale and made VWL our first home. :laughing: With your Disney loving family I do see them wheeling you around at 90!

But.....I might also suggest considering selling the VWL instead.

So why would I say that?
  • The dues have gone up tremendously at VWL with the additional of CCV and as sales close out and the full valuation is updated I'm kind of expecting it to be more.
  • Keeping BLT and VWL means owning 2 close proximity resorts I obviously think there's nothing wrong with that but something to at least consider. Now there's going to be Reflections between VWL and FW thus altering the area once again which has already seen a lot of changes with CCV. And it may be a positive although the Wilderness seems to be leaving the lodge more and more.
  • Are you staying at VWL as much as you used to or will you be happy rotating between BLT and VWL?
  • As long as you aren't wanting a studio it's usually just as easy to get a 1BR at VWL as any place. And 2BR's may be comparable to BLT - and easier than getting a 2BR at BWV since those are all lock-offs and once the popular studios go then the 2BR's are gone too so the 11 month window can be very important for F&W travel there.
  • BWV gives a resort within walking distance of 2 parks that have quite a bit happening in the next few years. It doesn't sound like you dislike it, just want to stay at BLT more?
  • You only have to have a love of the lodge to be a Groupie!

But - only answering if I'd sell BWV to buy BLT while also owning VWL? I'm not certain I would unless I never intended to stay at BWV. But there's nothing that absolutely screams out to me to not do the sell and buy. BWV prices are up so not a bad time to sell. And I do like BLT and haven't ever been sorry we bought there too. Our stays there have been fabulous and the location is great as well as the extra bathroom in the larger Villas. If it were just a question of which one to buy I'd say BLT if both were equally appealing, it's just the cost of selling the BWV that makes it less obvious unless you didn't plan to ever stay at BWV and your family didn't either. It's still a lot of years to not own where you want to stay and as we've seen that only gets more and more difficult during the fall. But flexibility at 7 months, villa size you're looking for and waitlists do still make it possible to stay places other than "home".

The big question is - where do you and your family really want to stay?

If you were asking if you should sell VWL to buy BLT to have a similar location that you've discovered you like a lot, has longer years and all the access you talked about - I'd lean towards saying yes. :tiptoe: (You won't tell on me to the Groupies, will you?! )

Hey KAT!
I took into consideration the fact that BLT and VWL are so close in proximity. My reasoning for holding onto VWL points is somewhat emotional, plus VWL points end same time as BWV. Another factor, right now at least, VWL points aren't selling at a great rate vs. BWV. BWV is a little closer in selling dollars to BLT. I imagine because CCV points are still for sell may be a factor in this, but not sure.
Either way, before jumping ship on BWV, I will consider all the great valid points that have been made so far on the posts. I knew I needed some guidance beyond my thinking it all through.

When the rumors started about BLT being built my husband asked me would I sell our BWV to buy BLT. That was a hard NO even though doing that would have allowed us to buy more BLT, we kept our BWV and I'm so glad we did. Our points go farther over there and with bank/borrow I can actually get a grand villa once in a while.

So we did buy BLT pre-opening for (looking back) a steal and my only regret is we only got 100 and really should have gotten about 175ish. We use them every other year so it's doable but sometimes we have to split stay etc. Ah well, I love it over there and points/dues are too high to even consider buying more at this point in our lives (kids are teens).

I don't think we'll ever sell the BWV, even if we don't go I think rental prices over there will remain high until end of contract.

Well, JT, have you thought about just purchasing BLT without selling BW? I know that wasn't your original question, but perhaps if you could afford a smaller BLT contract and try it out for a year or two, then you'd be able to make a better decision down the road. I doubt BW point costs will suffer in the coming years, so it might be worth a try.

Sleepy
I did consider this, but we are at a point in our lives where more points(overall)would mean we would be scrambling trying to find the time to go. We are fortunate to be able to afford to buy more points without having to sell so thats not an issue. T and I had a conversation yesterday about the possibility of selling some(not all)VWL points since 1. Thats our main contract, most points and 2. Its the emotional tie that we have. BWV doesn't really evoke emotions for us, so its easier to turn loose those points.

And we discussed further how even in more recent years, our vacation habits have changed, and we really, really enjoy the laid back feel of VWL, OKW, BLT, SSR and Kidani over the more bustle feel of BWV(don't get me wrong, once in the room, I am good)and BCV. Im sure others would disagree, but its just a feel for me.

Another reason to consider at this time and in the coming maybe 2-3 years, with Star Wars OTW and Toy Story already making a huge presence and Epcot in big expansion mode, I feel BWV points may be more appealing to a broader audience. So getting max out of it may be at a last great hurrah. Again, my pea brain way of thinking these things through :D

. . .
And we discussed further how even in more recent years, our vacation habits have changed, and we really, really enjoy the laid back feel of VWL, OKW, BLT, SSR and Kidani over the more bustle feel of BWV(don't get me wrong, once in the room, I am good)and BCV. Im sure others would disagree, but its just a feel for me. . .

And here I thought we were the only ones that think that way about BWV. I would think about the cost of selling and repurchasing points. Can you get the BLT rooms you want at the 7 month mark? Or is it just that you really want to own BLT? If that is the case go for it and hope you will not regret holding onto BWV until after all the changes are complete at Epcot.

And here I thought we were the only ones that think that way about BWV. I would think about the cost of selling and repurchasing points. Right now, based on what BWV is selling for vs. what BLT is selling for, we would be paying out of pocket, but not as much of a stretch as one may think. Maybe $10-20 more per point more. Can you get the BLT rooms you want at the 7 month mark? Most times of year we travel, its during F&W, early Dec., March during Spring Training or May during F&G. The spring months usually not a problem, the other months, nope. Or is it just that you really want to own BLT? As much as I enjoy BWV, being close to Epcot/HS for various reasons, the vibe at BWV has changed for me. Conventioneers for one seem to be overtaking the place. They spill over from the BW and Swan/Dolphin conventions and its annoying. The last thing I want to deal with while on vacation. The sleepy little BelleVue Lounge has become a bar, meaning loud and drunks abound. If that is the case go for it and hope you will not regret holding onto BWV until after all the changes are complete at Epcot. And my thinking is same, once Star Wars/Toy Story lands wear off, new Epcot attractions wear off, BWV want be as appealing.

And here I thought we were the only ones that think that way about BWV. I would think about the cost of selling and repurchasing points. Right now, based on what BWV is selling for vs. what BLT is selling for, we would be paying out of pocket, but not as much of a stretch as one may think. Maybe $10-20 more per point more. Can you get the BLT rooms you want at the 7 month mark? Most times of year we travel, its during F&W, early Dec., March during Spring Training or May during F&G. The spring months usually not a problem, the other months, nope. Or is it just that you really want to own BLT? As much as I enjoy BWV, being close to Epcot/HS for various reasons, the vibe at BWV has changed for me. Conventioneers for one seem to be overtaking the place. They spill over from the BW and Swan/Dolphin conventions and its annoying. The last thing I want to deal with while on vacation. The sleepy little BelleVue Lounge has become a bar, meaning loud and drunks abound. If that is the case go for it and hope you will not regret holding onto BWV until after all the changes are complete at Epcot. And my thinking is same, once Star Wars/Toy Story lands wear off, new Epcot attractions wear off, BWV want be as appealing.

Being one of those conventioneers - and now recently using DVC to stay at BWV - I have to decide if I should take offense to this statement Jimmy!

JK and having a little fun with you. ;)

I wouldn't worry that BWV will lose any luster as a location in walking distance to 2 parks. Disney may have to play catch up now and then but those parks will remain appealing for as long as WDW keeps going as will the BWV location because of them but that doesn't mean it appeals to everyone. Eventually though the 2042 end date has to start kicking in although it's probably got a few years left thanks to Disney's love to increase hotel room prices. :) What I wasn't really factoring is that your intent is to keep everything that you own until the end I believe? (barring any unforeseen changes of course) I suggested VWL in part because for me it no longer is the same as what I bought. It's also easier to book at 7 months than BWV in many cases. But also because I don't expect it to particularly hold up in prices quite as well as BWV now with CCV being an option at the resort with longer years and with the resort coming in next door to give yet another MK location however that only matters if you plan to sell at some point down the line vs holding until the end. Best to own where you want to stay for that scenario.

Obviously BWV has lost it's luster for you and you could sell and "upgrade" to a longer length contract at a resort you do want to stay at and not pay too much of a premium to do so which makes the timing seem decent.

Last edited:
Being one of those conventioneers - and now recently using DVC to stay at BWV - I have to decide if I should take offense to this statement Jimmy!
I know you better than that KAT. You are definitely not the kind of conventioneer I was thinking of:goodvibes
The ones I have a problem with are those who try to act as professionals, yet use lots of profanity amongst their peers as the drinks start to flow more frequently. I know this seems the way of the world these days, but just sad to have to experience it at WDW so much more these days. Not my only reason for thinking of selling BWV, but a part of it all the same.

I know you better than that KAT. You are definitely not the kind of conventioneer I was thinking of:goodvibes
The ones I have a problem with are those who try to act as professionals, yet use lots of profanity amongst their peers as the drinks start to flow more frequently. I know this seems the way of the world these days, but just sad to have to experience it at WDW so much more these days. Not my only reason for thinking of selling BWV, but a part of it all the same.

You reminded me of one stay at BWV when they were having some big year end college football awards put on by ESPN there. Back in the Skip Bayless days etc. We went to have a drink at Bellevue and the clientele was decidedly unlike any I'd seen there before. Many big adult men (coaches) in suits were slowly showing up with lots of big giant gold championship type rings on their fingers sipping liquors of some sort. I believe I was in the midst of a college football fanatics version of nirvana. I on the other hand thought that maybe I recognized one. Maybe. :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter