Questions about wheelcahirs and elderly family member

cinderellawannabe

Earning My Ears
Hello! I'm new to this discussion board and sought it out so that I could hopefully get some help planning our upcoming trip. Everyone here seems to have a vast wealth of knowledge and I would appreciate any advice or tips.

We (myself, husband, mother, grandmother and sons, ages 18 & 6) will be taking an 8 day trip to WDW this July to celebrate my older son's high school graduation. As he is going away to college and my grandmother is in "fragile" health (has extreme difficulty walking, but is mentally clear as a bell and looking very forward to this trip) I kind of feel it will be our last big family vacation together, so I want it to be very special. We've been to WDW before - this will be our 7th trip since 1988 - and have used a wheelchair for my grandmother, but it has been 3 years since our last trip and she requires a great deal more assistance now.

We will be staying at the Poly, and I was wondering what longhouses are recommended and how is the transportation from there to other areas (like MGM and Downtown Disney). I've read what people have written about the buses, but was wondering if folks have more success and less waiting time if they take a bus from the Poly rather than the TTC. I also requested one of the "raised" toilet seat adapters for the bathroom - has anyone else used this, and do they work well? I keep thinking perhaps I should rent one from a medical supply company. We will be driving, and have a handicapped placard for our van - is it easier to drive places rather than depend on the Disney transportation (keeping in mind that it is a bit difficult for her to get in and out of the wheelchair and into the van)?

Finally, any advice anyone has to offer would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying so hard to plan ahead to ensure that we all have a memorable time, but I feel like there are so many things I'm not anticipating. Thanks so much:)

Hope

If it is difficult for her to transfer from the wheelchair, then I would use the buses. The lifts take her directly in her chair and she doesn't have to get up.

Although a bit more walking for your family, it is possible to get to MGM without the buses. You can take the monorail to Epcot, walk through Epcot, exit International Gateway, then take the boat or the path to MGM studios. So the only locations you HAVE to use buses would be Downtown Disney or Animal Kingdom.

I know very little about the Poly, except for it's great restaurants, so I can't advise you there.

Hope this helps.

Carol

Thanks, Carol. We probably will try the "no bus" route you suggested to get to MGM, and give the buses a try when we head to DD.

Congratulations to your son on his graduation - doesn't it feel great?! Have a great trip!

Hope

I cannot comment on the Poly, but other WDW resorts we have stayed in have always had good wheelchair rooms. Raised toilets with arm bars, lip free large bathroom entrances, roll-in showers, refrigerators. Have you reserved a wheelchair room?

For special, we have noted nice treatment for all the kids with our wheelchair g'ma when arriving at certain shows early. Lion King at AK, they tend to grab the kids with the wheelchair groups to participate in the hand-jive pre-show and also the finale dance.

We usually rent a van and drive everywhere, just so much easier when g'ma has had it, we can run fast. The only park that is easier from the bus than the parking lots is the MK, but with your Poly location, that is not a problem. AK is very easy from self parking, as is MGM and Epcot. Just play it by ear, your feeling about what is easier may differ from ours. Remember that the minor locations may have free valet park with a handicapped permit, such as the Market in the eve or other hotels, say, if you want to do the Boardwalk.

Hopefully Sue can post the special Disabilities guides to WDW link.

Seems like WDW with a senior in a chair is a pain at times, but has some of the sweetest moments. We have a heck of a time getting our extended and dysfunctional family around the parks, but just when you think you will lose it with one more bathroom stop, Magic happens. I can remember one day when we were all getting testy, stopped for an ice cream, and the CM from the entrance of the Haunted Mansion started teasing G'ma by sneaking up and flicking her hair. She did not know he was there, but the rest of us did. Saved the morning.

Carla

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter