Questions about transportation at Wilderness Lodge

WRLeGrand

Mouseketeer
So we are going to be newbies at Wilderness Lodge in a few weeks. We are really excited about it, but admittedly, it does feel like a brand new world in terms of getting to the parks. Few questions (any and all insight is greatly appreciated!):

1. While we know about the water taxi service from WL, how frequently does it run to MK? How long is the ride, typically (like are there stops)?

2. Does the water taxi accommodate a stroller?

3. I assume for the remainder of transportation we will just use the bus. Is there also a bus to MK?

Thank you so much in advance! Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

1. While we know about the water taxi service from WL, how frequently does it run to MK? How long is the ride, typically (like are there stops)?
There typically (especially during busy times) two boats running. A larger one that can support ECVs and Strollers unfolded and a smaller boat that requires strollers to be folded. Because there are two the wait is usually about 10-15 mins for a boat and about an 8 min ride to MK. There is also the resort launch that goes to CR and FW and there are two boats on that running but they are small boats that require folding strollers.
2. Does the water taxi accommodate a stroller?
Depends on the size of the boat one does and the other requires it to be folded.

3. I assume for the remainder of transportation we will just use the bus. Is there also a bus to MK?
The rest is bus which is usually dedicated at busy times. Less busy times they will share with CR or FW. There is a bus to MK also takes about 5 mins.

Others have answered your main questions, but we too enjoy the transportation options at WL. While they aren't the most fun, it is nice to have the option of a bus to / from every park, and in recent years they have done a great job having buses go directly to parks (without an additional stop to pick up more guests) in the mornings. The MK bus is super quick too, as others have mentioned, except for in the afternoon when it may head to Fort Wilderness first.
We often take the bus first thing in the morning and when we are in a hurry to get to MK, but we do love the boats too. It is a beautiful ride across the water bridge, usually taking about 10 minutes, and there usually are no other stops between MK and WL and back. The exception to this is at off peak times when the same boat may go to Fort Wilderness as well. These boats fly a red and green flag, as opposed to the red flag boats that go straight between WL and MK. The other boat option is the Blue Flag boats that do the loop around Bay Lake between WL, CR, and Fort Wilderness. Usually thee are two of these running at any time, one going clockwise and the other counter-clockwise. You can get on either and depending on where you are heading it will be either the first or second stop (and the stops are about 5 minutes apart), or you can stay on for the whole loop and get a nice free tour of Bay Lake. We do use these boats to head over to CR and get on the monorail, which definitely takes longer than the bus but is a fun way to get to Epcot or the other monorail resorts. Boats tend to arrive every 15 minutes or so, but they aren't on a rigid schedule, and if you have a longer wait then there are likely going to be two boats that come fairly close together after that.
Overall, enjoy your stay at a beautiful resort!

I'm really glad I chose to read along here. I learned a lot! Someday we would like to visit WDW around Christmas and my dream is to stay at the WL for that trip.

Thank you to all who contributed their knowledge here! :goodvibes:thumbsup2

So in summation:

-both boat and bus seem to be great options
-bus may be a little faster in morning circumstances
-boat can have a little wait, but is fun and relaxing ride in and of itself

Sound about right?
Yep, and for the 3rd point, bus and boat really run about at the same intervals so there's "a little wait" for either one and your timing ends up being nothing more than darn luck

Only stayed at WL once...wifes business trip..but visit it often using busses. Always easy and fast. Never done it any other way.,
The bus system...i love. We use it to visit resorts or the monorail for those.

Another quick question RE: boat vs. bus:

Do you go through security check point prior to boarding the boat, or once you get off at MK? I know some hotels have their own check point for certain transportation options.

Another quick question RE: boat vs. bus:

Do you go through security check point prior to boarding the boat, or once you get off at MK? I know some hotels have their own check point for certain transportation options.

When you get off at MK, you will have a security check point right after getting off the boat. Have fun!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!