Questions about The Baths…A Poll

What should we do in Tortola?

• We do the "Tour to Virgin Gorda," (the half day tour) and Mom tries to walk down with us?

• We do the "Tour to Virgin Gorda," and Mom sits at the "Top of the Baths" while we walk down?

• Choose another excursion entirely?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thank you all for your input! It definitely gives my mom and me more information to think about :-)

Another FYI - the ferry ride over to Virgin Gorda was not a smooth pleasure cruise. It was a fast catamaran and was a little bumpy.

Yikes, but I think she'd still be okay wth that. I wonder if it's different on the DCL tour.

Two years ago there were parts of this excursion that were tight, slippery and very wet. I was fine, but I saw people who were not comfortable mid way and had turned around to go back the other way. It's quite a trek (both to and fro) to get to the baths themselves from transportation.

That definitely makes me think it would be too much for my mom, thanks!

We took the Aristocat Catamaran over - great hosts and so accommodating. Very enjoyable sail and included a snorkel stop and lunch. When we got to the beach at Virgin Gorda the adults swam over and the aristocrat people actually took the kids back and forth with the paddle board they had. Kids loved it. It was a very full day. I would totally do it again!

I just looked this up and while it looks lovely, honestly, I'm not the best swimmer either. Swimming ashore like that kind of makes me nervous.

I'm so bad with distances. I'm not a great swimmer but you are so buoyant in the water it wasn't a problem. You could also get a snorkel vest from the boat if you're nervous. I want to say 75m? But don't quote me- really rough estimate!!!

Thanks, I'm worse than you because I still can't picture what 75 meters is :rotfl:

I agree on this description of the hiking. We just went in October with my 62 year old Mom who is not in the best shape, but she really wanted to do it. My husband and sister had to help her up and down in many spots (I was ahead trying to slow down the excited kids). I don't think my mom could've made it without help. And she was VERY winded after the hike back up. She said it was worth it though.

Thanks, this all sounds like it may be too much for her. Maybe she could have done it at 62, but 75-not so much.

We saw people who arrived by boat, but I don't think it is that easy to get in and out of the boat, so if you could do that and she stay on the boat and relax while everyone else swam into shore, went through the rocks, and met at the other side. I suspect those excursions are much more expensive though. Honestly, even swimming in the ocean their had some rough spots, especially since there were rocks on the beach and in the water you could get knocked into.

Thanks, I don't think arriving by boat is for us. Frankly, my kids are amazing swimmers-they are both on the swim team and DS is a lifeguard-but I am not that strong of a swimmer :goodvibes

You really don't have to be a strong swimmer. It is not super deep, your boat will have boards, noodles and life jackets, and the water is calm.

We have booked the half day Disney excursion to The Baths but have little info on what we need. Tennis shoes for the path, aqua socks, both? Back pack or water proof fanny pack? 50 year olds in 50 year old shape (not bad but not like we were ten years ago!). Any info would be appreciated.

We have booked the half day Disney excursion to The Baths but have little info on what we need. Tennis shoes for the path, aqua socks, both? Back pack or water proof fanny pack? 50 year olds in 50 year old shape (not bad but not like we were ten years ago!). Any info would be appreciated.

If the bag you are using is not waterproof, don't bring anything that can't take a dip.

We were just at the Baths this past Tuesday.

In response to the original poster's question, I would not recommend your mom go through the actual trail as it's rugged and it's very easy to slip. There are also some tight areas where you have to bend over and walk which is a bit tricky. The trail makes a loop - you start off by turning left to head downhill to the beach, then you go through the path with the rock formations with a small but nice beach at the end, and then head up another path which is uphill back to the top where you catch the taxi. The path heading back up to the top is not as treacherous as the downhill path.

I would recommend you walk with your mom down the "uphill" path and let her sit down at the beach. There are a few shady spots and some picnic tables, but no beach chairs are available. That way she can still see some of the rock formations without having to traverse through them. When you get to place where you pay for admission, you would head right to the where the exit sign is instead of left. After you get your mom situated, you can come back up to the top and then head left for the trail. After you get through the rock formations, you come out at the beach where your mom is sitting.

We did this excursion on our own instead of booking through Disney, and I'm glad we did. If you take the 7:45 ferry, you will get to the Baths before the Disney excursion does and before most people arriving by swimming from a boat do. This was the first non-Disney excursion we have ever done, and it was really easy. We took the 12:40 ferry back to Tortola, but there is also a 3:30 one if you want to stay longer.

I think waterproof shoes like Keens would be perfect for this. I wore flip flops of all things and made out fine, but I did go through the Baths barefooted. My youngest child wore aqua socks and those were good too, but only for the Baths part. They were not appropriate for the hike down.

We took a regular non-waterproof backpack and made out fine. The deepest water we experienced was about knee-high. The only bad thing about the large backpack is there are some tight spaces in the Baths. I had to take my backpack off several times in order to fit through the spaces, and in some spots I had to have someone else hold the bag because I needed to use both hands to go up or down steep and narrow steps. I would try to travel as light as possible for this excursion.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Last edited:
We just went this week as well with Disney. The guide said to wear water shoes or bare feet, they said no water sandals or sneakers. They take the left path to devils bay and swim for 30 min then enter baths and go to the other beach. There were 145 people on our tour but it did not feel crowded. Also the ride in the truck is bumpy there are speed bumps every few yards the entire time on the island. It was so much fun kids loved jumping off rocks and the clear water. You will be back to the boat by lunch and she can get off the boat then and go to the shops with you.

I would recommend you walk with your mom down the "uphill" path and let her sit down at the beach. There are a few shady spots and some picnic tables, but no beach chairs are available. That way she can still see some of the rock formations without having to traverse through them. When you get to place where you pay for admission, you would head right to the where the exit sign is instead of left. After you get your mom situated, you can come back up to the top and then head left for the trail. After you get through the rock formations, you come out at the beach where your mom is sitting.

Wow, thanks for all the details! I was talking to a work friend yesterday and she kind of told me the same thing. She said to just walk down the path to the other side of the baths and leave my mom there while the kids and I explore. She said we can go back and get her after and then head back up.

We did this excursion on our own instead of booking through Disney, and I'm glad we did. If you take the 7:45 ferry, you will get to the Baths before the Disney excursion does and before most people arriving by swimming from a boat do. This was the first non-Disney excursion we have ever done, and it was really easy. We took the 12:40 ferry back to Tortola, but there is also a 3:30 one if you want to stay longer.

That sounds like something we would want to do. I think we'd prefer to be back on the ship and have lunch. I'd be nervous taking the 3:30 ferry because I wouldn't want to get back to the port late.

We just went this week as well with Disney. The guide said to wear water shoes or bare feet, they said no water sandals or sneakers. They take the left path to devils bay and swim for 30 min then enter baths and go to the other beach. There were 145 people on our tour but it did not feel crowded. Also the ride in the truck is bumpy there are speed bumps every few yards the entire time on the island. It was so much fun kids loved jumping off rocks and the clear water. You will be back to the boat by lunch and she can get off the boat then and go to the shops with you.

Thanks for this! I think we'd take the other path with my mom, if possible. Maybe it'd be better to not go through DCL for this excursion so I wouldn't feel bad about not staying with the group.

If the bag you are using is not waterproof, don't bring anything that can't take a dip.

I second this, as it's how my husband broke his supposedly waterproof galaxy active phone. It was in one of those rugged cases, too, but still did not survive the trip.

Also, the day we went, it rained in the morning, and the waves were VERY rough at Devil's Bay, so the water was more than knee deep for us (chest high for me at 5'2") but only in the part where you go through/over the rocks to Devil's Bay and only for a very short time. I might have a good picture on my phone.

Last edited:
I second this, as it's how my husband broke his supposedly waterproof galaxy active phone. It was in one of those rugged cases, too, but still did not survive the trip.

Also, the day we went, it rained in the morning, and the waves were VERY rough, so the water was more than knee deep for us (chest high for me at 5'2") but only in the part where you go through/over the rocks to the next beach and only for a very short time. I might have a good picture on my phone.

IMO, all it takes is slipping on a rock and you end up dunking the bag. The slipperiness is consistent regardless of weather.

Although I agree that the path down to the baths is a bit tricky & steep, I think the biggest challenge might be the trip BACK from the baths. If you go back on the same path you took down to the baths, the path is not only rocky and uneven, but now it is all uphill! The alternative is to go through the rocks to the beach, but that trek involves climbing over & under rocks, on your knees sometimes, and maneuvering in some pretty tight places. I'd gather the info and give your mom the choice of what she might prefer to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter