Questions about Shanghai & Hong Kong

DISnewjersey

Mouseketeer
We're planning on hitting our last two Disney parks this Spring during Easter week.

We'd have 8 full days in Asia.
  • Sat 11th - HK - Central - Victoria Peak, Harbour, Nighttime Lights Show
  • Sun 12th - HK - Kowloon - Market, Gardens, Food
  • Mon 13th - HK - Lantau Island - Big Buddha, Hiking
  • Tues 14th - HK - Disneyland
  • Wed 15th - HK - Travel day (maybe Disneyland in the AM for a few hours)
  • Thurs 16th - Shanghai - Disneyland
  • Fri 17th - Shanghai - Disneyland
  • Sat 18th - Shanghai - Best of (Observatory, Gardens, Temple, Dumplings, Bund)
We were originally going to do 2 culture days in Hong Kong and 2 culture days in Shanghai. It just looks like more days in Hong Kong will give us a better experience from cuisine to nature. It seems like we can hit the Best-Of Shanghai in one day. Has anyone been to both cities and can confirm whether our rough plan sounds good?

We're aware that Hong Kong celebrates Easter and it's a public holiday on Monday. We may experience some crowds but we're thinking Disneyland shouldn't be affected much by the Holiday if we go on Tuesday. Could anyone confirm that?

Thanks in advance!

Easter Tuesday should be fine for Disney crowd-wise. While I don't disagree with spending more time in Hong Kong due to better air quality, your Shanghai "culture" day will feel rushed compared to your Hong Kong days. I think a lot of things in Shanghai are multi-hour experiences while the tourist attractions in Hong Kong are smaller and easier to experience quickly.

We did Best-of-Shanghai in one day but we had our friend (a local) arranged us a car with driver and we were able to visit Yuyuan, eat dumplings there (Nanxiang), Jing'An Temple, French Concession, The Bund and Pudong.

I think your outline is good. I also prefer more days in Hong Kong (less language barrier, better food, better crowd culture) although you may have to monitor the news because of the political situation there.

The tram to Victoria Peak will get crazy waits on a Saturday. I'd make sure you're there very early.

The HK light show is nice but very very modest. Don't go in with super high expectations, it's more of an ambient charming event than a nightly spectacular.

I'd plan on adding in a few morning hours at HKDL before your flight just in case. Although the park usually has short waits, the hours are super short (10:30-8:30 in early June this year) and there are a lot of rides/areas that have different operating hours than the park. You might well finish everything early enough, but you might appreciate the cushion of a few AM hours the next day to finish up or get more rerides. I spent a full day there in June plus a couple of hours the day before and felt I would have liked a little more time.

By contrast, two days felt exactly right for SDL.

We did Best-of-Shanghai in one day but we had our friend (a local) arranged us a car with driver and we were able to visit Yuyuan, eat dumplings there (Nanxiang), Jing'An Temple, French Concession, The Bund and Pudong.

I think your outline is good. I also prefer more days in Hong Kong (less language barrier, better food, better crowd culture) although you may have to monitor the news because of the political situation there.

Yeah we're going to keep an eye on the political situation. I'm pretty much going to be booking this trip soon and hoping things improve by then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!