Questions about San Francisco...

lisalonglash

Yes, I love Pluto!
Our family will be driving from Vancouver, BC to San Francisco in mid-June this year (we're planning to drive it in one day, leaving really early in the morning). We will be staying in the San Francisco area for two days then carrying on to DLR and San Diego. I have many questions for you experts :flower3:

(1) What are your recommendations for a really economical hotel/motel in a safe area of San Francisco? As I'm unfamiliar with the area, I'm not sure if staying in a nearby community would be a good idea or not (of course, I don't even know what the decent nearby areas are LOL). We'll have our vehicle, but riding on the trolleys would be fun for us all!

(2) Other than the wharf (and the sea lions), what are your recommendations for activities that would engage our 10yo and 7yo sons while we're there? We have an excellent aquarium here and we're going to the San Diego Zoo or the Wild Animal Park, so I think we can skip those this time in the interests of saving some cash :cool2:

(3) How long would you say it takes to drive from San Francisco to Anaheim on an average day?

My dh and I did spend a few days in San Francisco years ago to celebrate our third anniversary (I think it was our 3rd lol), but neither of us remember much, unfortunately :confused3

Thanks so much for your help! :cheer2:

We stayed in Pacifica at the Best Western Lighthouse, and loved it there. It's about 15 minutes outside of San Francisco right on the Ocean. You might want to take a drive to Santa Cruz, there was a boardwalk that we enjoyed, and the drive down the Coastal highway between Pacifica and Santa Cruz was amazing. Have fun!!

Anytime we we have gone to San Fran. we have stayed in Oakland. (Hubby is a raiders fan!!!). The hotels are a fraction of the cost and most have shuttles to train station that takes you to downtown San Fran.
We have stayed at the Holiday Inn and a Hilton Garden Inn (my fav). Less than 100 a night with free parking.
It is only a 20min train ride to San fran.

Loved the trip to Alcatraz. The Wharf and the sea lions are cool.
The last time before we left I got a citypass book for San fran that included admission to 5 different places. I have enclosed the link..

http://www.citypass.com/city/sanfra...xgoduiJamQ&mv_session_id=p9Kp39GH&id=p9Kp39GH

One idea for something to do would be to go to the Exploratorium. It's a hands-on science museum type place. I've been to a few other science museums and I have to say that they don't even come close to being as good as the Exploratorium. I haven't been for several years but I imagine it's just as good as ever. It's huge. You can google it and go to their website to read more about it. When I was a kid, one my favorite things to do there was the Tactile Dome. You have to pay extra and make reservations ahead of time to do this but it was so much fun. I'm not sure if I know how to describe it very good but you make your way through this area which is dark and they have different textures on the walls/floors for you to feel as you make your way up to the top of the dome and then back down. Hmm...well, that doesn't make it sound as interesting as it is but it gives you a general idea.

We have pretty much done everything there is to do with a child in S.F. A big thumbs up on the Exploratorium, but it is pretty much an all-day affair. (and yes, Alcatraz is great!) If you are doing the wharf, I would keep to Pier 39, even though it has a lot of shops (!) it also has plenty for the kiddles. Then keep walking and head down to Maritime Park. It's on the wharf and there are multiple ships to go on. There is a submarine, a "pirate ship" pirate: , an old ferry boat and others, it's very interesting and the kids have a great time running around the various ships and using their imagination. Here's the link: http://www.maritime.org/index.htm Have fun! As for the drive to Anaheim, well, it should be about a 5 1/2 run, but the traffic once in L.A. usually adds on about two hours!!!!!

I agree with those who said the Exploratorium.

A trip to Alcatraz would be a unique experience, I highly recommend the evening tour if possible.

The California Academy of Sciences has just reopened after a huge renovation (I'm dying to go see it).

A ride on a cable car - my kids love the cable cars.

When driving from San Francisco to Los Angeles are you planning on Hwy 5 or the more scenic and much much longer coastal route?

Have fun, sounds like a great trip.

We did that exact trip last summer and it was amazing. In San Fran we stayed at the Holiday Inn at Fisherman's Wharf which is in a good area for kids because there is plenty to do within walking distance. I used Hotwire and got it for $69/night..most hotels charge for parking ($25 and up) so you need to take that into consideration. We rented bikes and rode across the Golden Gate Bridge but that might be too much for your 6yo..you can park and walk across it. My kids loved the night Alcatraz tour and riding the cable cars. Are you driving along the coast to get to Anaheim? We did an overnight stay half way down the coast to break up the drive but also because we made alot of pit stops along the way. That coastal drive is so beautiful but you need to really take your time to appreciate it. We passed a beach that was full of elephant seals sunbathing...my kids could of stood there all day watching them! We are in the east so go to Florida often but plan on doing a repeat California trip we loved it so much...have a great time!

The California Academy of Sciences has just reopened after a huge renovation (I'm dying to go see it).

Actually I was disappointed. It is very expensive. $24.95 for adults, $19.95 for 12- 17 year olds, and $14.95 for 7-11 year olds.

The best thing it has is the Rain-forest which is contained within a 90-foot diameter glass dome. If you are there on the weekend and you don't get there early it gets to capacity and they close it off.

The building itself is much smaller. They claim it has more species but that is because they have more species in a single container but less over all. Where it use to take half a day to see everything now you can see everything in a couple of hours.

It is nice but too expensive for me to take my whole family for what you get. JMHO.

We stayed at the Lombard Motor Inn .

If you're looking for anything resembling luxury, this is most definitely NOT it. But if you want just about the least expensive place in the City with parking INCLUDED in the rate, then this might fit the bill. It was about a fifteen minute walk to the Wharf area, and about the same to that really cool section of Lombard St. Overall, since we're people who consider the hotel nothing more than a place to lay your head at night and take a quick shower, we were very happy. They have had some minor problems with stuff being taken out of cars that are parked in their indoor lot, but as in any major city, you shouldn't leave anything in the car anyway. We had no issues, and the staff were quite confident that it was a fine walking neighborhood. We felt very safe.

Our quick stay in SF included a stop at Burger Meister (in the Castro), which was fantastic, filling, and pretty cheap. We enjoyed Chinatown, but not nearly as much as the one in NYC. The Wharf was really touristy, and not our style. We didn't get to Alcatraz, but I really wish we had. The trolleys were cool. Make sure you get on at the north end of Van Ness, and get in the back of the car. If you're lucky (and we weren't), you'll get views of the Golden Gate. Alcatraz will definitely be in view though. We also walked through The Park, which really deserves many days on its own. With kids in tow, we had to find the "Full House Houses" on Alamo Square. We found the little park there to be one of our favorite finds in the city. Great views with parking right along the edge of the park itself.

I like the Embassy Suites, in S. SF...it is closer to the airport, but you could drive in about 15 min drive or even take BART! Plus you get free drinks and happy hour...inside pool! I would not recommend staying in Oak, the bridge can be a super pain!

What kind of things do you want to do?

Exploratorium is inside~sciencey stuff!

Pier 39 is full of stores and the walk to Fisherman's Wharf is short and full of fun stuff...

Alcatraz, you have to pre-buy tickets for the best option ...I love it...it is a self guided tour and is just so great!
See the sea lions
Ride a Cable car
Have ice cream at Ghirardelli square
Drive down Lombard St.
China Town
Eat in North Beach

As for the drive, depends on what way you go and what time you leave....LA traffic can be bad! It is about 400 miles so 6ish hours is what I think if you go fast and not hit a lot of traffic!

Have fun!!!

Actually I was disappointed. It is very expensive. $24.95 for adults, $19.95 for 12- 17 year olds, and $14.95 for 7-11 year olds.

The best thing it has is the Rain-forest which is contained within a 90-foot diameter glass dome. If you are there on the weekend and you don't get there early it gets to capacity and they close it off.

The building itself is much smaller. They claim it has more species but that is because they have more species in a single container but less over all. Where it use to take half a day to see everything now you can see everything in a couple of hours.

It is nice but too expensive for me to take my whole family for what you get. JMHO.
Thanks for the heads up - that kind of pricing is crazy. :scared1: $100 for a family of 4 - (DS is 19) ummmm, I don't think so. I wonder how long that will last.

OP look into a CityPass - that is what we usually do and in 2-3 days we always get our monies worth.

OP look into a CityPass - that is what we usually do and in 2-3 days we always get our monies worth.

I second the idea of a CityPass -- we are using them on our trip to SF in three weeks for spring break. Our tentative itinierary for five nights is: drive to Muir Woods to see redwoods, California Science Academy, Alcatraz (get reservations now), Chinatown, Golden Gate Park, Pier 39, and Winchester Mystery House.

There is lots to see and do there. We are looking forward to our trip although it is a little bittersweet to be in California and not include a DL visit. :love: But we will be there in June.

Enjoy!

try to use hotwire. Anywhere in SF is good. Don't go outsite of the city- the airport is in South SF so that is too far without a car. The Discovery Museum is very cool- its a hand-on museum to "discover" things. Golden Gate Bridge- you can walk across and its beautiful. The Wharf for seafood. Anaheim is a 6 hour drive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter