Questions About I-495 High Occupancy Toll/Express Lane

PSUGuy

Bill From PA
I created a AAA Trip Tik for a drive South from PA and at one point around DC it tells me to take '495 Express Lane/Capitol Beltway Outer Loop/Interstate 495 High Occupancy Toll'. Is this open to cars with only 2 occupants? Is Easy Pass accepted? I expect to hit this area around noon next Tuesday, 6/27, might we just sail through on regular I-495 to I-95 at this time of day without using the toll road? The last several Summers we drove down later in the day and about 10 miles South of the I-495 loop I-95 was a parking lot until around Dale City. I'll avoid the area altogether to miss that or unless the toll road bails us out.

Thanks,

Bill From PA

You'll want to explore this site: https://www.expresslanes.com/ for more information.

According to what I see on the site, the express lanes are open to cars with 2 or fewer people, but they need to pay the toll. The toll is collected via EZpass, so that won't be a problem for you from what you posted.

The section south of the beltway goes from the beltway to "near Garrisonville Road/Route 610" which appears to be a couple miles south of Dale City. This section is reversible and runs southbound from 1 PM to midnight during the week, and Saturday from Midnight to 2 PM. Other times it runs northbound or is closed, according to the current schedule on the website.

ETA: Tolls are "Dynamic" which means you'll have to watch the road signs to see how much you're being charged.

We always use the toll road. I-95 (no toll) always seems to be a parking lot at any time of the day. The toll lanes get you around huge parts of it. Google maps and Waze understand the differences and will direct you to the fastest route.

Is this open to cars with only 2 occupants?
Yes.

If you have 3 or more passengers and a EZ Pass flex, its free.

ezpass-flex-transponder.jpg

if you have 3 or more in car, you toggle that switch at the bottom of the device.
Is Easy Pass accepted?
Yes. Its the only method of payment....there aren't any cash booths.
I expect to hit this area around noon next Tuesday, 6/27, might we just sail through on regular I-495 to I-95 at this time of day without using the toll road?
You might, but if there isn't much traffic the toll will be cheap. if there's a lot of traffic, there's no limit to how high the toll can go.
i-495_ol_exit_045_03.jpg
ExpressLanesSign2_1483658077146_2499615_ver1.0_640_360.jpg
The last several Summers we drove down later in the day and about 10 miles South of the I-495 loop I-95 was a parking lot until around Dale City. I'll avoid the area altogether to miss that or unless the toll road bails us out.
I think the 95 toll lanes will still be going north noon on a Tuesday...those lanes are the old reversible lanes that have been there for years. they haven't added another set of lanes so they can always have 2 way traffic. Might be worth aiming to hit them at 1 PM.
95express-jpg.221413

The toll lanes on 495/the beltway are on both sides of the road, so always open in both directions.

Last edited:

Yes.

If you have 3 or more passengers and a EZ Pass flex, its free.

ezpass-flex-transponder.jpg

if you have 3 or more in car, you toggle that switch at the bottom of the device.
Yes. Its the only method of payment....there aren't any cash booths.
You might, but if there isn't much traffic the toll will be cheap. if there's a lot of traffic, there's no limit to how high the toll can go.
i-495_ol_exit_045_03.jpg
ExpressLanesSign2_1483658077146_2499615_ver1.0_640_360.jpg
I think the 95 toll lanes will still be going north noon on a Tuesday...those lanes are the old reversible lanes that have been there for years. they haven't added another set of lanes so they can always have 2 way traffic. Might be worth aiming to hit them at 1 PM.
95express-jpg.221413

The toll lanes on 495/the beltway are on both sides of the road, so always open in both directions.

Thanks for this, we'll shoot for 1 pm, wifey will appreciate the extra sleep.

Bill From PA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter