Questions about bag checks/security

kiramay

DIS Veteran
I know there’s a bag check on the walk from Contemporary to MK, but then where does it go at MK? I guess I don’t understand how it bypasses bag check at MK.

Same with the resorts on the monorail. Is it only bypassing MK checks, or does the monorail also bypass Epcot’s bag check lines?

Thank you!

I know there’s a bag check on the walk from Contemporary to MK, but then where does it go at MK? I guess I don’t understand how it bypasses bag check at MK.

Same with the resorts on the monorail. Is it only bypassing MK checks, or does the monorail also bypass Epcot’s bag check lines?

Thank you!

For MK, if you haven't been since April 2017, all the bag check areas have now been "pulled back" to various spots. Here's a rundown:

Monorail Resorts: You go through security before getting on the monorail
TTC: You go through security before entering the ticket booth/main TTC area
Buses: You go through security before leaving the MK bus plaza area
Resort Launch from WL/FW & GF/Poly: You go through security right when you get off the boat at the MK dock
CR/BLT: Security station on the walkway

The entire plaza area in front of MK is a now a "secured" area - anyone there will have gone through security via one of the above (with a small caveat for anyone who came from the Epcot monorail, but that's a more complicated explanation).

If you are walking from CR/BLT, you go through security on the path and that's it - after that you're in the secured area.

Epcot is a different story. The Epcot monorail station exit puts people outside a secured area (as currently configured), so anyone taking the monorail to Epcot has to go through security again there (even though they will have been screened at some point in their earlier travels). It's a minor nuisance.

Long explanation but hope that helps. If any of that isn't clear, happy to clarify. :-)

We just finished a stay at the GF, and we were highly impressed with the ease of bag check when traveling by monorail or boat to MK. It’s a tremendous perk to pass through the check in moments instead of waiting in a huge crowd. While there still are lines to Magic Band your way in, the mass craziness on the plaza has been eliminated.

I hope that the same efficiency can be achieved at EPCOT by re-directing the monorail ramp straight into the ticket check area.

Thank you both! We’re actually staying at POFQ but we’ll be utilizing Uber a lot. Our MK day we’re planning to Uber to the contemporary and walk, and I couldn’t figure out the security. We just used buses on our last trip.

Thank you both! We’re actually staying at POFQ but we’ll be utilizing Uber a lot. Our MK day we’re planning to Uber to the contemporary and walk, and I couldn’t figure out the security. We just used buses on our last trip.

Have fun! In my experience the pathway security check is usually very easy/quick. Also totally agree with the PP, the new setup has fundamentally improved access to the MK - it's great.

I hope that the same efficiency can be achieved at EPCOT by re-directing the monorail ramp straight into the ticket check area.

I know not cheap ( or easy) but could they make the exit ramp the entrance ramp and the entrance ramp the exit. That would put you inside the secured area when getting off? I know they would need to put the gates ( that make sure no one falls in front of the monorail when it is coming on the other side and take out the other ones) on the other side. Just a thought

The path takes maybe 10 minutes, the monorail will take about 30 minutes...it has to stop at the TTC, Poly, GF and then on to MK. It was really cold last week, so we thought we would stay warm and ride the monorail, but it took forever...busy time of day, so had to wait for a couple of monorails. There is only one metal detector on the path, so I'm not sure how backed up it gets early in the day, etc. There are more security members stationing the area within CR (below escalators headed up to ride monorail).

I know not cheap ( or easy) but could they make the exit ramp the entrance ramp and the entrance ramp the exit. That would put you inside the secured area when getting off? I know they would need to put the gates ( that make sure no one falls in front of the monorail when it is coming on the other side and take out the other ones) on the other side. Just a thought
I’m hoping the major Epcot entrance/Futureworld redesign results in the monorail exiting into the secure area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter