Questions about ABD China

Good to know....
So in hindsight, would you still stay the extra nights in the ABD hotels or would you stay nearer / on site?
That's a hard one. We had to leave HKDL a bit early to get back to the hotel for the welcome dinner. But at least we didn't have to worry about checking out, shlepping our luggage, and checking in at the Penninsula. I don't think it would have been worth it for the one day at HKDL that we did. If you're doing more than one pre-day there, it might be worth it.

At SDL, it was so hot and crowded that we headed back to the Peninsula part way through the afternoon. It was OK, because I had to get packed to leave EARLY the next morning, so I had plenty of time to do that, and check out the Bund at night. But it would have been nice to be able to just head back to a hotel on site, cool off, maybe wait until later to go back to the park. We were there the day before the one year anniversary of SDL, so it was pretty crowded. Again, that was with one post-day, so it was a wash. If you're spending multiple post-days at SDL, then I'd say stay on site. You'd just have to get yourself to the airport afterwards, of course. (I booked both my pre-day & post-day through ABD, so the transport was still included).

Sayhello

We took the subway in Hong Kong from the Peninsula to HKDL. It was very easy, but it does require switching trains. It took 20-25 minutes. The subway station is close to the Peninsula and there is a station that was built for Disney.

In Shanghai, we stayed two extra nights. One day we went to Shanghai Disney and one day we visited the water towns with a tour guide. Shanghai Disney was very crowded and we knew we needed to get there one hour before rope drop. We decided it would be easier to stay at the Peninsula then try to check out, move our luggage and get to Shanghai Disney early. Also, the Peninsula was closer to the water towns. It did take 40-45 minutes via taxi to get to and from Disney. If we were going for more than one day to Shanghai Disney on our own, I probably would have preferred moving closer.

The two Peninsula hotels in Hong Kong and Shanghai are two of the nicest hotels we have ever stayed in. If we had moved in Shanghai to another hotel, I am sure it would have been a disappointment.

Thanks for the advice, will probably just add on with ABD in that case and Uber/taxi...

Does anyone remember approx how much the hotel add ons and transport costs were?

Will be helpful for budgeting - thanks!

Also, do you get any FastPasses or special access at the Disney parks as part of the tour, given it seems you get less than a full day in each?

Last edited:

Thanks for the advice, will probably just add on with ABD in that case and Uber/taxi...

Does anyone remember approx how much the hotel add ons and transport costs were?

Will be helpful for budgeting - thanks!

Also, do you get any FastPasses or special access at the Disney parks as part of the tour, given it seems you get less than a full day in each?
It wasn't cheap! Unfortunately, they don't separate it out, but for me, one extra night in Hong Kong and one extra night in Shanghai was $1118.00 total.

I'll see if I can find anything for how much the transport was.

You do get Fastpasses for the included Disney Park days in HK & Shanghai. In 2016, it was like 3 fastpasses for a range of attractions (they weren't like "universal" fastpasses, but each one was for a different list of attractions). We also got a Fastpass for a VERY popular show in HK. I don't recall any kind of special access (well except for dinner!).

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!