question regarding handicapped room

disneyobessed

DIS Veteran
my 5 yr old son is in a special stroller because he has cerebral palsy. we are looking into stayin in a handicapped room next year at one of the moderate resorts. i read that the handicapped rooms all have king size beds but have adjoining rooms. how cana family of four stay in a room with a kingsize bed? do you have to pay for the extra room if you resquest to have two rooms?

Do you actually need an accessible room? What are the access problems? Think about the specific needs. Does he use a roll-in shower? Does he need an elevated toilet seat? Does he just need grab bars? A lot of the accessible rooms have two beds.

Contact Special (Medical) Reservations at 407-939-7807 and discuss it with them. They are the only ones who can guarantee reservations for the accessible rooms.

First of all not ALL of the handicapped rooms have king beds, only most of the roll in shower rooms do. Most likely your going to want a tub for him anyways and those rooms have 2 beds in them.
There are 2 types of handicapped rooms at WDW. the first one is a fully handicapped room with rollin shower. the second one is barrior free with a tub and grab bars in the bathroom.
If you do need the rollin shower with the king bed then yes you would get the second connecting room for no charge. Just call special services to help you get the room you need. you can call them direct at 407 939 7801. these people are the experts in CRO that can get you the room that you need. and are the only ones that can gaurentee you that room.
anyother questions just ask us.

he would just need the guard rails to hold onto so a 2 bed is exactly what we need. last yr we requested a handicapped room at the POP and when we got down there they were unable to assist us with this request. we also asked for bedrails ect. is there anything else besides making the request for this to ensure we get what we need? i thought i read somwhere about faxing the resort a week prior?

You must go through Special Needs Reservations to be guaranteed what you need. When you speak to CRO ask to be transferred to a Special Needs Reservation Person and explain what is needed to them. They will tell you what can be provided and what you may need to get from a medical supplier. Although I can't see why Disney can't provide bedrails. I am sure it is a common request.

Talking Hands said:
You must go through Special Needs Reservations to be guaranteed what you need. When you speak to CRO ask to be transferred to a Special Needs Reservation Person and explain what is needed to them. They will tell you what can be provided and what you may need to get from a medical supplier. Although I can't see why Disney can't provide bedrails. I am sure it is a common request.
Here's the direct phone number to Special Needs Reservations:
Resort Reservations: 407-939-7807 (TTY: 407-939-7670)

I'm not sure why they didn't provide bedrails. They used to be listed in the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities as an example of an item the resorts could provide on request.
I've also read posts about people with children without special needs who were able to get bedrails. My educated guess is that other guests in the resort may have already been using all the bedrails when you arrived. If yours was just anotherr general request, you would just be in the "pool" of people who requested them. And, if there were more requests than bedrails, someone doesn' t get them.

I know there are a lot of believers in faxing, but some of the resorts don't pay any attention to faxes because they get too many of them. It's better to just make your requests at the time of the reservation and then they are in the computer. If you deal with Special Reservations, they will put your requests into the computer and also give priority to your special needs requests over "general" requests for the smae thing.

i have to agree about inquiring directly to the Special Needs registration...thats practically why its there...to help you on your needs...im sure youll enjoy your vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter