Question regarding Disney vs Universal Resorts

Poohbear03

Mouseketeer
I have never stayed on property at Universal but I have at Disney always moderate. How do the resorts compare. We do enjoy a resort feel where you can take a long walk in the evenings and mornings. Are Universal resorts like this? We like a resort to be part of the vacation not just a pool area and rooms.

It really depends on the resort and the resorts themselves are not as large (spread out) as many of the Disney Moderates.
That being said the walk from Sapphire or Royal Pacific to Citywalk along the water is very nice. Adventrua is a short walk across the parking lot from Sapphire - so same thing really.
I have not stayed at Cabana Bay but it also has a walkway that connects to this same walkway - but its a much longer walk - and I am not sure if it's as nice
I'd say the same for Portifino - and walking around the bay area of Portifino is nice.

IMO all the resorts are on par or better than a Disney Moderate - most close to as good as a Disney Deluxe at a much more reasonable price - but that is subjective - so no point in having that argument.

Space is really limited at Universal and the resorts are compact so you can't really walk the grounds the way you do at Disney. The walking paths to Citywalk/the parks as suggested are really nice, the landscaping is beautifully maintained and on par with a Disney moderate or deluxe. you might enjoy Portofino Bay which has kind of a secluded feel compared to the other resorts.

I think the Universal resorts are much nicer and better run than the Disney ones. I have only stayed at the Universal deluxe hotels but have stayed at deluxe and moderate at Disney. I also think that the Universal deluxe hotels are a better value than WDW, especially considering that you get Express Pass included from them at Universal. The Universal hotels feel like they are cleaner, in better shape, and more high-end. The walks from the deluxe resorts to Citywalk are beautifully landscaped. Except for the Beaches pool, Storm-Along Bay, I think Hard Rock and Portofino have nicer pools. I think those pools are good for older kids and adults and have slides. Royal Pacific's pool has a nice play area for little kids but no slide. Cabana Bay's pool blows everything at WDW out of the water. Portofino sounds like a good choice for you. Good long walk, especially to the parks compared to the other deluxes. It's still very walkable though. The walk is along a nice canal. The resort is themed beautifully too and has nice areas to sit outside and enjoy the small lake or eat and drink. It feels just like Italy to me. Royal Pacific is probably the next best for theming to me.

You can walk a fair distance at the Universal hotels.

They are all connected by pathways, mostly along the waterway......so walking from one hotel to the other through Citywalk, you could wander around them all.

Cabana Bay is further afield and not connected by the waterway, but there is a pathway to that hotel too.

If you Google and see the whole layout you`ll see where you can walk and how far it is.

Universal resorts are lovely...….we always spend a lot of time in the resort we are staying at. Always Royal Pacific or Sapphire Falls.

Last edited:
I've stayed at Portifino Bay and Hard Rock Hotel and both are themed well and have beautiful grounds. The walk along the water at both hotels is lovely and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I’ve stayed at Portofino and they have beautiful grounds and 3 pools. We did a split stay with Portofino then Grand Floridian. Both flagship resorts, but I feel you get more bang for your $ at the Universal resorts. Portofino was a step above GF, and less money.

I can’t speak too much about Hard Rock, we stayed there during Tropical Storm Fay so didn’t get to enjoy the grounds at all!

I have upcoming stay at Royal Pacific, a Universal Deluxe and it’s priced the same or less than a WDW moderate at $211/night for my dates. The pics look lovely. I want to try all 3 Universal Deluxe.

In general I think you get more from the Universal resorts. Sapphire Falls is a moderate, and light years above WDW moderates. More like what you’d get at a WDW Deluxe. And the WDW value resorts don’t hold a candle to Universal values.

I think you’ll enjoy the Universal resorts. And you can pool hop too!

I really prefer the Resorts at Universal. I think they have plenty of options for every persons budget and they have more Resorts coming.

All the Resorts at Universal are beautifully themed and have some of the nicest staff I have ever encountered.

I really enjoy staying at Portofino Bay it’s my home away from home when on vacation. Sapphire Falls is also really nice.

Universal Resorts are located close to the parks and CityWalk. There are plenty amenities to enjoy at the Resorts.

The Resorts have a very nice selection of restaurants to choose from.

The Portofino pool staff and waiters and waitresses are excellent. The selection of cocktails and food at the beach pool and Villa pool are nice and everything I have had there is delicious. The pool staff come around to check to see if there is anything you need for your comfort, fresh towels, free frozen grapes, popsicles etc.

The rooms are beautiful and nicely appointed and the housekeeping staff are very friendly and want to make sure you have what you need to make sure your stay is enjoyable.

I have never received the above attentive kind of service at Disney Resorts.

All here on the boards have our favorite Resorts at Universal we like to stay just like folks who frequent Disney do.

From the first encounter at the check in desk at Portofino to the housekeeping staff, star services, pool staff, shop staff, restaurant staff, you are greeted with smiling faces and a welcoming spirit that is par none.

I have felt this kindness at Royal Pacific Resort as well as Sapphire Falls.

You can really relax and enjoy your vacation at these lovely Resorts at Universal Orlando.

We typically stay moderate at Disney, and find the Universal resorts to be a touch nicer than moderate level Disney resorts. More on par with Deluxe resorts.

None of the Universal hotels are sprawling enough where you'd take a long walk, like you would at say Coronado Springs or Caribbean Beach. The resorts are more compact than those. But if you were staying at Portofino Bay or Hard Rock Hotel (for example), you could walk the path between the two and check out the other resort. There is also a walking path on the Royal Pacific side, which leads over to Cabana Bay.

Our favorite resort is Hard Rock Hotel because we love the vibe and the proximity to the parks. But if you want peaceful, Portofino or Royal Pacific is better for that IMO.

We just got back from a split stay. We actually stayed at 4 different places....Sapphire Falls King suite with adjoining queen room, Portofino adjoining bay views rooms, Carsland suite at Art of Animation and Vistanta Resorts.

Carsland Suite was by far in the worst shape. The carpets were so filthy in our room and in the halls that I wouldn't take my shoes off. Furniture was worn and grungy. Sapphire Falls room was in the best shape and we wouldn't hesitate to stay there again for a night. Portofino was clean and reliable as usual.

I have never stayed on property at Universal but I have at Disney always moderate. How do the resorts compare. We do enjoy a resort feel where you can take a long walk in the evenings and mornings. Are Universal resorts like this? We like a resort to be part of the vacation not just a pool area and rooms.

We typically stay at disney’s DVC properties or deluxe if I can score a deal. The moderates have priced themselves out of what i feel is acceptable. I have cringed paying over $200 (up to $400 @ AoA) a night at a value-APH rates no less.

IMO, many of the WDW properties would be hard-pressed to command the rates they do if not for location, location. However, I do get more of an immersive, bubble-like vibe there.

Universal delivers a top notch experience that is much more laid back and offers a just plain easier of a day. there is basically no planning needed at a deluxe onsite. the FOTL perk is the big plus here.

We just got back from a split stay. We actually stayed at 4 different places....Sapphire Falls King suite with adjoining queen room, Portofino adjoining bay views rooms, Carsland suite at Art of Animation and Vistanta Resorts.

Carsland Suite was by far in the worst shape. The carpets were so filthy in our room and in the halls that I wouldn't take my shoes off. Furniture was worn and grungy. Sapphire Falls room was in the best shape and we wouldn't hesitate to stay there again for a night. Portofino was clean and reliable as usual.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Sapphire damo……

Was that the first time you had stayed there during your visits? I forget if you have or not.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Sapphire damo……

Was that the first time you had stayed there during your visits? I forget if you have or not.

Yes, first time. We really liked it and were thrilled that we were given the adjoining rooms with the king suite. We would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Space is really limited at Universal and the resorts are compact so you can't really walk the grounds the way you do at Disney. The walking paths to Citywalk/the parks as suggested are really nice, the landscaping is beautifully maintained and on par with a Disney moderate or deluxe. you might enjoy Portofino Bay which has kind of a secluded feel compared to the other resorts.

There's plenty of nice grounds to walk around Hard Rock. And as you said, you can walk to City Walk. It's a beautiful stroll.

I don't think any resorts can compete with Wilderness, AKL, Grand Floridian, Poly and Boardwalk for theme. However, rooms, convenience and food at Hard Rock is every bit as good, if not a step above any Disney Resort.

I think the Universal resorts are much nicer and better run than the Disney ones. I have only stayed at the Universal deluxe hotels but have stayed at deluxe and moderate at Disney. I also think that the Universal deluxe hotels are a better value than WDW, especially considering that you get Express Pass included from them at Universal. The Universal hotels feel like they are cleaner, in better shape, and more high-end. The walks from the deluxe resorts to Citywalk are beautifully landscaped. Except for the Beaches pool, Storm-Along Bay, I think Hard Rock and Portofino have nicer pools. I think those pools are good for older kids and adults and have slides. Royal Pacific's pool has a nice play area for little kids but no slide. Cabana Bay's pool blows everything at WDW out of the water. Portofino sounds like a good choice for you. Good long walk, especially to the parks compared to the other deluxes. It's still very walkable though. The walk is along a nice canal. The resort is themed beautifully too and has nice areas to sit outside and enjoy the small lake or eat and drink. It feels just like Italy to me. Royal Pacific is probably the next best for theming to me.

Agree with all of the above. We stayed at the Poly Thanksgiving week two years ago and Portofino the following year, same days of the week (over Thanksgiving) so I consider it apples to apples on crowd levels.

The biggest difference is that Disney manages their resorts while Loews manages the Universal properties. To an experienced traveler, the difference is huge. In terms of service, Disney's idea of deluxe is moderate at best in in the real world where Loews delivers the hard product and service at a level on par with pricing.

I love the Universal hotels. I think they are far superior to Disney and I love staying on Disney property. I love being able to book a king room for a normal price, unlike at Disney where I either have to get a one-bedroom villa or a club level room that are really expensive. I don't like the moderate or values at Disney, they feel like a motel to me with the outdoor hallways and are still really expensive so I only stay Deluxe at Disney. Also, at universal if you stay at Hard Rock, Portofino or Royal Pacific you get the express pass included which is a great value.

I don't think any resorts can compete with Wilderness, AKL, Grand Floridian, Poly and Boardwalk for theme. However, rooms, convenience and food at Hard Rock is every bit as good, if not a step above any Disney Resort.
One trip I split my stay with Portofino and GF. IMO Portofino can compete and blew GF out of the water and at less cost. This is not to say GF is bad. I always enjoy my stays there. But the theming and service at Portofino were amazing and can certainly compete with anything WDW has.

Do you have any pictures of the suite at Sapphire that you can post on its thread? We will be staying in the exact same suite in May.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!