Question on using Holding Points on a Modified Reservation?

bwvBound

DVC SSR & other timeshare
Can holding points be applied when modifying an existing reservation into a new unit type inside the 60-day window? If so, does this only work if booking via the phone or does it also work if booking via the website?

The "More Info":
  • I have two back-to-back reservations booked for Sept: one is via RCI (SSR 1BR Std, 7 nights) and the other on DVC points (SSR Studio, 1 night).
  • I have two points in Holding status from an earlier re-book in my UY that will expire on 9/30 if not used.
  • I have no other points remaining in my current UY and will borrow to complete my intended reservation.
  • MY GOAL: Modify the current studio reservation (on points) to a 1BR Std at/within the 60-day window to consume the holding points.
So, given the above:
  • Will a rebook/modification of the Studio to 1BR unit, at/inside the 60-day window, consume my holding points before borrowing the balance from the next UY?
  • Can this be done via the website ... or must I phone it in?
  • Can it be done using the waitlist, if required? (The one night I need has been switching fairly frequently between available/not-available; waitlist might be required.)
Thanks for your insights, experiences, speculations and well wishes!

If you make a new reservation in a 1 bedroom at SSR, assuming availability, your holding points will be used first. then points will be borrowed. (to my knowledge its not a reservation modification)
(always click, the link that shows you how your points will be taken before confirming is there is every any doubt).

The problem as I see it the studio you have booked. Since you say your holding points will expire 9/30, I am taking it to mean you have an October UY. If so, you are past your banking deadline, so cancelling your studio will leave those points out there to expire.

As far as I see it, you would have to cancel your studio first, so those points go back into your account, then book the one bedroom which will use the holding points, then the studio points, then borrow the rest.

You can do this with 2 browsers, one to cancel, the other to book.

Otherwise call into MS - which is what I would do - since you are at the 60 day mark, if a 1 br is available, I doubt it will be gone in an hour - its not like a studio at the 7 month mark

So the key question, perhaps: Does modifying a reservation to switch unit types act like booking a "new reservation" as related to holding points? I'm thinking it does ... but I've not tested the theory.

I'm leaning towards 'modifying' rather than the multi-browser, cancel/new book process unless convinced otherwise?

Good question, did not even know you could do that on line (of course, I had never tried).
I dont see why the rules of how points are taken if you are modifying it to a ressie that takes more points, but am not certain

Modifying worked as if making a new reservation for me when I decided less than 2 wks out to go for NYE this past Dec/Jan. I modified many times over and had points in holding several times during the 2 wks I was piecing a reservation together. I never had to book new to use the holding points.

A couple of months ago I used the "modify" feature to reallocate points that I had in a reservation a few different times...so I believe it will work the way you would like it to in your situation. The only thing I "modified" in the reservation was the point allocation.
I actually think that someone else posted not too long ago that they modified a reservation at the 60 day mark that they already had without actually changing anything about it (date/location/room size all the same) and were able to use their holding points when they got to the "which points do you want to use screen".
So it should work for you especially since you are changing the room size.

I called MS today for a different reason but asked this question before ending the call. YES! I should be able to sweep up the holding points by modifying the reservation to change unit type from Studio to 1BR.
  • Yes, it should work if modifying online.
  • Yes, it should work if modifying by phone.
  • Yes, it should work by modifying it by waitlist.
Thanks, all!

So the key question, perhaps: Does modifying a reservation to switch unit types act like booking a "new reservation" as related to holding points? I'm thinking it does ... but I've not tested the theory.

I'm leaning towards 'modifying' rather than the multi-browser, cancel/new book process unless convinced otherwise?

Fyi the multi browser method does not work anymore. Modifying is the only option to hold a reservation while making a new one now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!