• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question on renting your points/reservation

bdrex28

Mouseketeer
Just curious if anyone has rented out a reservation.

If so, what is the typical commission % that the rental store takes?

For example if your reservation rents for $3000, how much of that would be to you as the owner?

Thanks!

They pay and charge per point. For example, one of the popular sites will usually have a 5 dollar difference between what is paid and what is charged. So, if they charge renters $23 per point rented, then they pay the owners $18 per point for the reservation. Which if you can rent for that much, it can work on well for a year when you're not able to travel, since that would cover your dues for the year and leave some cash left over too.

For example if your reservation rents for $3000, how much of that would be to you as the owner?

Thanks!
As an example a BWV Studio GV room June 18-23 for 5 nights is currently discounted down to $3276.45 including tax. To book this room thru DVC would be 84 points which at $18pp would get you $1512.00.

As an example a BWV Studio GV room June 18-23 for 5 nights is currently discounted down to $3276.45 including tax. To book this room thru DVC would be 84 points which at $18pp would get you $1512.00.
Is this an example you are making up? I don't see it on any of the rental sites.
If this is true that would be great since it is inside of 7 months and they generally don't seem to pay that much for 7 and under month booking.

The board sponsor is only paying owners $12 a point when you look at their open listings at 7 months.
For premium resorts (Excluding VB, HHI, OKW, SSR) they used to say they pay $18 a point but that isn't he case anymore.
BRV during XMAS, several AKL, RIV and a poly are only paying $15 a point.

Hopefully Confirmed reservations will pay the $18 otherwise I would be posting on the rental forum.

Is this an example you are making up? I don't see it on any of the rental sites.
If this is true that would be great since it is inside of 7 months and they generally don't seem to pay that much for 7 and under month booking.

The board sponsor is only paying owners $12 a point when you look at their open listings at 7 months.
For premium resorts (Excluding VB, HHI, OKW, SSR) they used to say they pay $18 a point but that isn't he case anymore.
BRV during XMAS, several AKL, RIV and a poly are only paying $15 a point.

Hopefully Confirmed reservations will pay the $18 otherwise I would be posting on the rental forum.
The OP never stated which resort nor how many nights. I just went on the WDW reservation site and looked to " build" a reservation close to the 3k they stated then looked to see how many points it would take to book that room.

The OP never stated which resort nor how many nights. I just went on the WDW reservation site and looked to " build" a reservation close to the 3k they stated then looked to see how many points it would take to book that room.
Thanks!! You said an example but wasn't sure if this was a confirmed reservation out there or you went to the disney site to put in numbers.

I have rented out several confirmed reservations thru the Canadian broker. Paid the same $18 per point as if I made a new reservation for someone.

I could be wrong, but when I looked at the Board Sponsor it seemed like they paid a flat rate to owners, per point, and then marked up the confirmed reservations to whatever price they wanted. It seemed like the owner did not benefit when the agency went higher.

I could be wrong, but when I looked at the Board Sponsor it seemed like they paid a flat rate to owners, per point, and then marked up the confirmed reservations to whatever price they wanted. It seemed like the owner did not benefit when the agency went higher.
When you go to rent a reservation it asks for the number of points and asks for the lowest price per point you will take.
They say $18 is the maximum but there is no clear answer if they will actually pay that if it is in the 0-7 month window.

I have only rented points using the 7-11 month window and not confirmed reservations so curious if anyone got the $18 a point at 0-7 months.

thank you for your answers. I was just curious and seeing if it was a good deal for the DVC owner. I knew the broker would make commission, but was just curious as to how much.

I was wondering that myself. There's some confirmed reservations as high as $28/point, but I see payouts of $15/pt based on some recent info they put out for those same resorts. If the owner isn't naming their own price, that's a $13/pt take home for them!

Thanks!

On a $3000 reservation it depends how you rent it.

If the broker’s giving you $15 or $16pp and listing at $21, the broker’s getting around 25% - $750 commission.

I put a small confirmed reservation on one site, they tacked on about 20% for their cut.

thank you for your answers. I was just curious and seeing if it was a good deal for the DVC owner. I knew the broker would make commission, but was just curious as to how much.
In my opinion, not really after you subtract the maintenance fees ( my ex. was BWV) you had to pay for the points you have rented and the work you have to do. $8.67 x 84 =$728.28 $1512- $728= $784
For that small amount I would just rather either rent the points to friends or family for the $1512 I would have earned, or just for my maintenance fee costs $728 and given that family a break on a vacation they may never had been able to take. Just for full disclosure, I did neither, I booked a room for my sister and family for no compensation.

In my opinion, not really after you subtract the maintenance fees ( my ex. was BWV) you had to pay for the points you have rented and the work you have to do. $8.67 x 84 =$728.28 $1512- $728= $784
For that small amount I would just rather either rent the points to friends or family for the $1512 I would have earned, or just for my maintenance fee costs $728 and given that family a break on a vacation they may never had been able to take. Just for full disclosure, I did neither, I booked a room for my sister and family for no compensation.

That's exactly what I was wondering about. We just put in a DVC contract, which is our first, the last few years we've rented from the rental sites. So, now I will no longer be doing that (I tried renting from members here, but I was never able to quite get what we were looking for room and time wise), I was curious what part of what we paid went to the owner.

I agree, that I would prefer in that case to just rent to friends, etc. for the $1512 as in your example.

I was wondering that myself. There's some confirmed reservations as high as $28/point, but I see payouts of $15/pt based on some recent info they put out for those same resorts. If the owner isn't naming their own price, that's a $13/pt take home for them!

I've noticed that and the reason I wondered initially was because the last two years I've rented a Garden/Pool view studio at Boardwalk roughly Sept 10th -17th which cost me each year about $2300 if I recall. however, in the same website I have seen nearly the exact same reservation for $3500 or even more. So....same dates, same location, same room, but way more expensive the same site. It makes you wonder if the DVC owner is naming the price or the listing broker is. Interesting the discrepancy. And it's not like September is a split point chart month like say May or something.

I've noticed that and the reason I wondered initially was because the last two years I've rented a Garden/Pool view studio at Boardwalk roughly Sept 10th -17th which cost me each year about $2300 if I recall. however, in the same website I have seen nearly the exact same reservation for $3500 or even more. So....same dates, same location, same room, but way more expensive the same site. It makes you wonder if the DVC owner is naming the price or the listing broker is. Interesting the discrepancy. And it's not like September is a split point chart month like say May or something.
September is the lowest point season and Food & Wine is still going on then.
With BWV just a short stroll or boat ride to Epcot it is a popular location and can be hard to get albeit a little easier for the pool garden view you mentioned.
My guess is the renting agency is bumping the price.

September is the lowest point season and Food & Wine is still going on then.
With BWV just a short stroll or boat ride to Epcot it is a popular location and can be hard to get albeit a little easier for the pool garden view you mentioned.
My guess is the renting agency is bumping the price.

Yes, but that's my point. I purchased a reservation for roughly $1000 less than an identical reservation from the same broker/renter. Same Dates, Same resort, both during F&W.

I always found that interesting and it made me think that perhaps the owner had control of what it may list at.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter