Question on recipe for Cape May's Oreo Bon Bons

bomalovers

Earning My Ears
Hi,

We love the Oreo Bon Bons at Cape May and want to make them for the upcoming holidays. We decided to do a trial run today.

The recipe is at http://allears.net/din/recipes/rec_oreo.htm

We made the white chocolate mousse and have a question about the use of the egg yolks. The recipe indicates you need to "Heat egg yolks until warm."

We microwaved the egg yolks until they started to cook slightly. They were warm. However, after we finished, we are thinking that this may have not been sufficient to get rid of any bacteria. Should we have cooked the egg yolks on a stove? If so, how do you heat them without cooking them to ensure the bacteria is gone? How long would you have to heat them?

We are going to make the ganache later, figuring that even if the mousse isn't safe to eat, at least we can see how the bon bons come out so we will know for next time.

If you have made this recipe, do the bon bons come out like they do at Cape May? Based on the recipe, we are struggling to figure out how they can come out like they do at Cape May. Do you need to refrigerate or freeze them to maintain their shape?

If anyone has any suggestions, please let us know.

Thanks and Happy Holidays,
BL

I have not made this recipe, but I would heat the egg yolks in a double boiler over simmering water. I would probably melt the chocolate the same way as I find it easier to control than using the microwave

I have an easier Oreo Bon Bon recipe thats pretty good. 1 package of regular oreos, 8 0z cream cheese, 16 oz chocolate chips. Using a food processor pulse cookies till crumbs. Add cream cheese and mix. Shape into balls. Freeze till firm. Melt chocolate according to pkg directions. dip cold bon bon into melted chocolate. refrig till firm.Sometimes I melt some white chocolate and drizzle over top.

Thanks so much for your responses!!

After 2 practice rounds this past month, we decided to make the Cape May recipe for my office holiday party which was yesterday. The bon bons came out fantastic!! They won 2nd place in the dessert contest and we were very excited!! I got so many compliments and people were asking for the recipe. So the third time was definitely a charm :yay:.

We did use the double boiler method for the egg yolks which worked great. Also, during our practice rounds, the mousse didn't turn out as smooth as we had hoped, so we realized the key to smooth mousse was continous stirring. After we made the mousse and set it on the oreos, we put the oreos with the mousse on a tray and refrigerated them for close to 4 hours. We then made the ganache and dipped the oreo cookie with the mousse in the ganache. The ganache went on the mousse very smoothly and the bon bons looked great!! Initially when we tried the recipe the first 2 times, we thought if we dipped the mousse in the ganache, the mousse may fall off. So we spooned the ganache on and while it tasted good, it didn't look as smooth.

Anyway, I definitely recommend this recipe. It is very easy to make and people really seemed to enjoy it. Also, it is a great dessert for a party b/c people can just grab the bon bons and there is no cutting involved.

Happy holidays!!

BL

I know this is a very old thread and that the OP hasn't posted since 2010, but I am hoping that others have made the Oreo Bon Bons from the recipe on Allears.net. I tried making them this weekend, but they came out much more chewy than I remembered them being at WDW. Has anyone else come across this and if so, did you reduce the gelatin to make them creamy (opposed to chewy)?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter