Question on Accessibility for son with disabilities

Danny Crowley

Earning My Ears
I have a son that is partially disabled and needs to use a walker (with a seat) to get around. When we go on rides, is there somewhere to safely put the walker?

Also, I assume there is enough space for the walker in the line queues since it is thinner than most strollers.

Thanks in advance.

I have a son that is partially disabled and needs to use a walker (with a seat) to get around. When we go on rides, is there somewhere to safely put the walker?

Also, I assume there is enough space for the walker in the line queues since it is thinner than most strollers.

Thanks in advance.
Moving you to the disABILITIES board for the best and most accurate info.

This would be better off in the disabilities section.
But I'll give my opinion on it.
Disney is a lot of walking. Literally miles each day of walking.
If I was in need of a walking I'd likely consider renting a scooter/wheelchair instead.
Yes a walker would fit in the lines since many lines are wide enough for wheelchairs. (strollers are only allowed in the lines if they are tagged as a wheelchair).
As far as it fitting in the ride vehicle that its another story.

Yes, his walker/rollator can be taken through all queues. If there are stairs, you’ll be directed accordingly to an alternate path. If the walker does’t fold enough to fit in the ride vehicle with you, the CM will hold it to the side until the ride ends. Be aware some rides have a moving walkway; be specific with the CMs as to his ability to walk unaided for boarding. Most rides can slow or even stop the walkway on request; PeterPan and the Tommorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover cannot do so.

Enjoy your vacation!

OP: My sister has taken her rollator to WDW and successfully used it in queues. Walkers/Rollators are basically just treated like any wheelchair or EVC. If you get to an attraction queue and there are directions for a wheelchair to go a different way, follow those for the walker as well.

Rollators and walkers are treated the same as wheelchairs. There is nothing needed to bring mobility devices in lines/attractions.
All attractions are wheelchair accessible to the point of boarding. Most are mainstream lines, which are totally accessible through the regular line. As other posters mentioned, if there is a different boarding area or entrance, the CMs will direct you.
In most cases for rides, the walker will be left at the boarding area and you will either return to the same place you boarded, or a CM will deliver it to be waiting for you at the exit.

Even if he plans to walk all the time, you might want to bring contact information for several of the equipment rental companies in case the walking is too much for him. You can also rent in the parks.
Be aware that most of the companies require the ECV renter/driver to be at least 18.

I would seriously consider renting a wheelchair for him.
My son has had several foot surgeries due to bilateral club foot and has very little ankle mobility. Normally by the evening of every day, he is limping. He does not use any mobility device in day-to-day life, but at Disney, he needs a wheelchair.
When we went in 2016 he wanted to try it without (we had not been to WDW since 2010). After the first day, he asked to have a wheelchair for the rest of the week. We are going again this year, and we will definitely rent a wheelchair for the entire trip.

On past trips, my dad has used a rollator and done very well. Like others have posted, they are treated just like wheelchairs. I'm a wheelchair user, so we usually park our devices together when it's time to transfer to rides. You can always rent a wheelchair if he starts to struggle. Make sure to plan for plenty of breaks, and talk with him about the option to take a wheelchair ahead of time and discuss how you would decide that need together. As a person with disabilities, I feel like it's hard to decide in the moment when I'm hot and tired and pushing myself past my limits, and it definitely helps to have a backup plan ahead of time so I don't feel stuck.

I would seriously consider renting a wheelchair for him.
My son has had several foot surgeries due to bilateral club foot and has very little ankle mobility. Normally by the evening of every day, he is limping. He does not use any mobility device in day-to-day life, but at Disney, he needs a wheelchair.
When we went in 2016 he wanted to try it without (we had not been to WDW since 2010). After the first day, he asked to have a wheelchair for the rest of the week. We are going again this year, and we will definitely rent a wheelchair for the entire trip.

Yep. Our daughter is a bilateral club foot "survivor" as well, and experiences the same thing. After her 18th birthday, I let her decide how she wants to do Disney. She now has my "old" (previous model) scooter.

The *average* Guest at WDW walks between 3 and 10 miles per day. Depending on where your Resort room is relative to your transportation source, you can easily clock more than ½ mile just from your room to the Castle at MK.

Regardless, @Danny Crowley welcome to our little corner of the DIS - and let us know if you have any more questions! :)

I'll add another vote to at least considering a wheelchair. I have Cerebral Palsy and use forearm crutches for distance in day to day life, but Disney World really is another experience. The amount of walking really can't be over estimated.

If the walker will work for him, when he gets into line for a ride, the cast members will direct him. As others have said, most ride lines he will have no trouble walking through, and he will simply hand his walker to the cast member as he enters the vehicle. When he gets off the ride, the cast member will either bring his walker right up to him or it will be a couple of steps away. If there is an alternate route, the signs will be very clear and a cast member will point your group in the right way.

I was getting ready to board Space Mountain one time while I was using crutches. I turned to the CM, and instead of saying, “Where do I leave my crutches,” I phrased it as, “Is there a place I can leave my crutches?” The CM deadpanned and said, “No, you take them with you, and they'll fly out of the car and be waiting on the bottom when you get there.” Then, after a few seconds he laughed and said, “No, I'm just kidding! Just give them to me and I'll get them to the unload area for you!”

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!