Question for those who have successfully stalked the DVC website

DougK

Mouseketeer
I have had a waitlist for one night which I put in for over 5 months ago. I keep hoping for the best and I have been occasionally checking the DVC site even though I have the one night I need waitlisted. I keep seeing here on DIS that many of you have gotten your wanted night(s) by stalking even though you also have the night(s) waitlisted. I guess you just have to be lucky and happen to be stalking right after someone cancels the night(s) you are looking for.

My question is: what do you consider stalking? Do you check every day? Three times a day? Five times a day? One hundred times a day? Just curious.

Thanks.

When I was actively stalking for my Thanksgiving week reservation, I checked the website probably at least once an hour, maybe more.

Just about every day. Sometimes once a day, sometimes more. Depends on what I'm doing. If I have a free moment, and I'm online anyway, I'll randomly check. I don't set an alarm to remind me to check at a certain time or anything, lol. ;)

If I really, really want the reservation I will leave the page open on my computer. Then every time I sit down at the desk I will be reminded to hit refresh.

If I really, really want the reservation I will leave the page open on my computer. Then every time I sit down at the desk I will be reminded to hit refresh.

How do you keep the website from timing you out?

Usually 3 times a day - morning, noon, and night. And you just reminded me to check now, so thanks!

edit to add: And the stinking website crashed when I went to modify one of my days for January trip. Let me go all the way through the borrow points screen, then olaf. And now I have borrowed points sitting in the wrong use year. ugh. 19 minute wait to call :(

Last edited:

Usually 3 times a day - morning, noon, and night. And you just reminded me to check now, so thanks!

edit to add: And the stinking website crashed when I went to modify one of my days for January trip. Let me go all the way through the borrow points screen, then olaf. And now I have borrowed points sitting in the wrong use year. ugh. 19 minute wait to call :(

Did it work out?

I usually check once or twice a day depending on what I have going on. My stalking hasn't been very successful though, so maybe I haven't checked often enough.

That sucks! I've been trying to get on all after/early evening, but the seven dwarfs keep showing up.

Did it work out?

Total phone call time ended up being slightly over an hour. Very nice CM assured me that the room was being held for me, but they had to get 'system errors' corrected before it could be booked and linked with the rest of my stay. As of this am my original OKW room has been cancelled, 13 points returned to correct UY, and the borrowed difference btwn that and SSR (1) was unborrowed - but still no SSR room. Patiently waiting with fingers crossed :)

I was stalking two wait lists for April, visiting the website hourly. Sometimes, even in the middle of the night if I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep right away. In the end, both wait lists came thru within a couple of hours of each other. And I had just checked multiple times that morning. Go figure.

I was stalking two wait lists for April, visiting the website hourly. Sometimes, even in the middle of the night if I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep right away. In the end, both wait lists came thru within a couple of hours of each other. And I had just checked multiple times that morning. Go figure.
did they notify you or did you just see it on your dashboard?

Very interesting discussion, I wonder how many people have found better luck stalking vs just waiting.

Stalking has an advantage in that it allows you to pick up nights that become available that don't match your waitlist length or to book a location that opens up because you are limited to 2 waitlists and can't try for everything. But, it also takes time!

When I was stalking to get my dates for November I would check twice a day and book days of the trip as they became availible. I was able to get all the days and combine into one reservation through luck, a bunch of AKL Jambo dropped and I was on the phone with DVC within minutes of that happening. For my April trip trying to change resorts from AKL to BLT I looked twice and was able to find what I was looking for. In the past we have had good luck with waitlists coming through but I had the time, school had nto started back up, to stalk and it payed off. Now I am hurricane stalking any availible rooms for Sept 28-30. So far no luck but we have a cabin at KOA as back up. Whole fmaily is going stir crazy and Flo just keeps dropping more water on us so we have a mini vacation planned.

did they notify you or did you just see it on your dashboard?
Emails for each of them. I was at the office and couldn't stalk the website all morning. I saw the email on my personal account when I checked my phone at lunch time.

When I'm stalking the website I check every opportunity I get. If I don't have much going on that day, I check several times an hour. If I'm busy it might only be a couple of times the whole day.

Total phone call time ended up being slightly over an hour. Very nice CM assured me that the room was being held for me, but they had to get 'system errors' corrected before it could be booked and linked with the rest of my stay. As of this am my original OKW room has been cancelled, 13 points returned to correct UY, and the borrowed difference btwn that and SSR (1) was unborrowed - but still no SSR room. Patiently waiting with fingers crossed :)
Had that happen once with trying for a BCV room...for 3 nights and had SSR. SSR was cancelled and MS said they needed to sort out error and would get me the BCV booked. NEVER HAPPENED. After about a week, I called back and told them to just book my SSR back before it too disappeared. I suspect the BCV room I saw available went to a waitlist so they were trying to see if another would pop up or if they could pull over from CRO or something. Since my original resie got cancelled and points borrowed but then error when trying to book BCV.

Just looked at my notes and it was Sept 17, 2015 through Sept 22. Didn't get the BCV and at one point, during those 5 days, the SSR availability was gone but then came back so I called on Sept 22 and booked that back before it was gone again.

Last edited:
Had that happen once with trying for a BCV room...for 3 nights and had SSR. SSR was cancelled and MS said they needed to sort out error and would get me the BCV booked. NEVER HAPPENED. After about a week, I called back and told them to just book my SSR back before it too disappeared. I suspect the BCV room I saw available went to a waitlist so they were trying to see if another would pop up or if they could pull over from CRO or something. Since my original resie got cancelled and points borrowed but then error when trying to book BCV.

Just looked at my notes and it was Sept 17, 2015 through Sept 22. Didn't get the BCV and at one point, during those 5 days, the SSR availability was gone but then came back so I called on Sept 22 and booked that back before it was gone again.

Yeah, I'm afraid something wonky like that happened to me. As of now (will be a week on Friday) I have no room for my arrival day, since they cancelled the OKW. Nothing booked at SSR and the waitlist still reads as active. Haven't had free time to call back, but I'll bet that they are still trying to find a room somewhere to book. Let u know how it turns out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!