Question for my blind friend

Planecrazy4dis

Por favor manténgase alejado de las puertas!
Hi, I posted this question in Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies and I was encouraged to post here. My friend is completely blind and he is taking his family to WDW for the first time. He is not bringing his seeing eye dog, but he will have his walking stick with him. I was wondering if he will be allowed to go through any designated lines for the disabled, or to the front of the line for the shows and rides? Thanks.

There are no designated lines especially for the disabled. There are no front of the line priviledges either. Most lines are mainstreamed whenever possible. He can get a Guest Assistance Card which would be goo for him and his family up to a total (including him) of 6 if he has specific needs but it would not give him front of the line priviledges. He needs to be able to specifically state what accommodations that he would need to make the visit easier.
My deaf-blind friend went on her honeymoon and she and her ex-husband who is also deaf and uses a wheelchair and they didn't need a GAC at all. She did take her guide dog and the dog was well treated by castmembers. They did get special seating at shows with interpreting but other than that no special treatment.

Hi, I have a daughter that uses a white cane. First off, the CMs running the rides see the white cane and sometimes direct us to the HC section, or ask if we prefer front row seating.

We do not get the GAC because there isn't a whole lot she needs assistance for & I have found just getting the GAC to be more of a hassle than it was worth for us. If there is a ride or attraction that we think could be an issue, we just speak to the CM running it and explain what we think would work out best (back entrance on HM to avoid the crowd going into the doom buggies, HC seating in millionaire to avoid the steps, front row seating in some shows) There isn't a whole lot needed for her which works out great. :flower: She doesn't like to feel needy or different from others. We help her if she needs it, as I am sure your friend's family will.

Good luck! Just let your friend know not to be afraid to ask for what is needed. We have been very lucky and really had very nice interactions with most CMs.

Lives4Disney :earsgirl:

Is your friend going at a non-crowded time? I hope so!

Without scaring him off, I hope you can explain the perils of walking around at WDW on a crowded day. It's a pretty scary proposition for those with good sight...the groups of people coming to a dead stop for no apparant reason, the groups that walk all spread out on the sidewalk or street so you just can't get around them, the strollers that jab your ankles, people who step on your feet and don't even acknowledge that they did it, teens who run from ride to ride...I would HOPE that people would notice the cane and be more considerate, but after reading posts from people in wheelchairs, you can't count on that.

I guess my point is that I hope you can make him understand that if he bumps into a few people or gets his toes stepped on, or is bumped into, that is a NORMAL DISNEY EXPERIENCE (unfortunately) and that people aren't being rude to him just because he's blind (they're rude to everyone ;) ).

Let your friend know that being tapped on the ankle with a white cane doesn't hurt at all. ;)
I'm sure that excited children will sometimes run in front of you. Hopefully, their grownups will use this as an opportunity to explain that you have a white cain, this means that you cannot see them. Hopefully this will open a discussion of how blind people experience the world. :goodvibes

My wife prefers to travel "sighted guide" in crowded situations so that she doesn't have to concentrate and can talk easier with the group.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter