Question about YOW-YYZ-MCO customs for Westjet...

Best_Vacation_EVER!

DIS Veteran
We had originally booked WJ out of YOW for an early AM direct flight to MCO in Dec (near Xmas) but they changed it to a late evening one which make our MVMCP tickets useless (so we had to move from a direct flight in the morning to one that goes YOW to YYZ and then YYZ to MCO) --- so not happy AT ALL with this but we'll adjust (unwillingly) but really we don't have much choice I guess...

So for our flight from YOW to YYZ (with a connector to MCO) --- is it domestic in terms of time we're required to arrive at the airport in YOW? Once we get to YYZ what do we do? Do we still need to collect our luggage like we used to and then go through US customs?

To be honest I think this forced change for us will totally get us to rethink the value of Westjet and the WJ cc for us overall (we'll likely cancel our WJ cc and be a bit more adhoc on this stuff to Orlando in the future --- Jet Blue out of Syracuse, Spririt out of Ogdensburg, driving down, AC direct where required, etc...) I think finally WJ has made it so there's so little value in using it that we have absolutely no loyalty to using them or their CC in the future which is sort of sad.

I feel your pain. Westjet has changed our flights the last two times we used them and the last time was the final straw. We booked with another airline for our next trip in 6 months.

When you arrive at YYZ you will need to go through customs there. I can't for the life of me remember if we had to get our luggage for the layover. My gut seems to tell me that yes you have too because I seem to remember running through the airport with all our bags in tow.

It is sad though because we loved WestJet so much. I feel it all started going down when they finally decided to do like other airlines and start charging baggage fees. After that it really just felt like any other airline trying to gouge as much money from their customers. They're prices are also ridiculous now.

We are done with WestJet as well for the time being.

Sorry I wasn't much help.... :(

When we flew from Winnipeg - Toronto - Orlando.... there was a long hike from landing to customs. At customs we had to use the machines to fill out our forms and take everyone's pictures. Try taking little kids pictures - not easy! Only found out after they weren't required for them.

Then we had to sit in a waiting room until our name showed on a screen. When it did it meant all our luggage was accounted for and we proceeded to the customs officer. So no, we never had to collect our bags.

You can lookup “Pearson Connections” on Google. They will inform you of the procedure required for all situations, but luggage pickup between flights varies from airline to airline. It is a possibility in your case and they suggest you call the airline to confirm. That being said, if the airline sold you the ticket, you will have enough time to do everything.

I haven't flown YOW->YYZ->USA in a long time but I believe you do customs pre-clearance in Ottawa and don't have to go through customs in Toronto but I would check with the airline to confirm. And I think that means you have to arrive at YOW with enough time to go through US Customs.

As far as alternate flights, just to correct your message, I believe the closest Spirit Air flies from Ottawa is Plattsburgh, NY. Other options are Allegiant Air from Ogdensburg, NY, Syracuse, NY or Plattsburgh, NY (there are also a few airports farther) or Frontier Air from Syracuse, NY or I believe Burlington, VT (double check this one)

When we flew from YQR to YYZ to MCO, I don't think we had to pick up our luggage. We might have had to stop and move it from one belt to another but didn't have to to trek across the airport with it. However, do I do distinctly remember having to walk what seemed like FOREVER to get from our domestic gate to our international gate and we did have to go through security again. So all the drinks we bought at the airport had to be thrown out and I had to pull everything out of the stroller, it was a pain in the butt. Once we got through security it was fast through customs because they had the machines. Honestly, I hate the Toronto airport and try to avoid it when possible but mostly I just hate switching planes. I'm sorry your direct flight got changed, that would make me very unhappy.

I haven't flown YOW->YYZ->USA in a long time but I believe you do customs pre-clearance in Ottawa and don't have to go through customs in Toronto but I would check with the airline to confirm. And I think that means you have to arrive at YOW with enough time to go through US Customs.

Nope. Not sure about needing (or not needing) to pick up luggage, but you definitely do not do pre-clearance in Ottawa. How could you? Not everyone on the plane (YOW to YYZ) is going to connect to the US, so they couldn't pre-clear everyone on the plane. So the plane goes from the domestic gates and lands at the domestic gates. So, first, no facilities for pre-clearance (the facilities are only at the trans-border gates) and second the plane lands at the domestic area of YYZ, so passengers connecting to US flights mix with those not doing so (who haven't been pre-cleared), so there cannot be a connection to the trans-border gates without having pre-clearance facilities for passengers to go through.

I feel your pain. Westjet has changed our flights the last two times we used them and the last time was the final straw. We booked with another airline for our next trip in 6 months.

When you arrive at YYZ you will need to go through customs there. I can't for the life of me remember if we had to get our luggage for the layover. My gut seems to tell me that yes you have too because I seem to remember running through the airport with all our bags in tow.

It is sad though because we loved WestJet so much. I feel it all started going down when they finally decided to do like other airlines and start charging baggage fees. After that it really just felt like any other airline trying to gouge as much money from their customers. They're prices are also ridiculous now.

We are done with WestJet as well for the time being.

Sorry I wasn't much help.... :(

Thanks... sometimes it's nice to have someone who understands... WJ definitely won't be on our radar for future flights at this point. We booked a direct flight on the return (MCO to YOW) with AC (which I know has it's own issues) but that flight seems to not have changed at all -- so I find myself being happier about AC than WJ.

When we flew from Winnipeg - Toronto - Orlando.... there was a long hike from landing to customs. At customs we had to use the machines to fill out our forms and take everyone's pictures. Try taking little kids pictures - not easy! Only found out after they weren't required for them.

Then we had to sit in a waiting room until our name showed on a screen. When it did it meant all our luggage was accounted for and we proceeded to the customs officer. So no, we never had to collect our bags.

That's crazy that they didn't let you know you didn't need to take the kids pictures (it's like herding chickens getting little ones to sit for passport photos... can't imagine that at the airport when they're amped up about going to WDW...)

I will be happy if we don't have to collect the bags in Toronto --- it always seemed to make the connections worse by having to collect the luggage, re-check the luggage, re-clear security and then go through customs.

You can lookup “Pearson Connections” on Google. They will inform you of the procedure required for all situations, but luggage pickup between flights varies from airline to airline. It is a possibility in your case and they suggest you call the airline to confirm. That being said, if the airline sold you the ticket, you will have enough time to do everything.

Thanks.. I called Westjet but the agent I spoke with didn't really know how the process will work. I guess that's part of my frustration.

As far as alternate flights, just to correct your message, I believe the closest Spirit Air flies from Ottawa is Plattsburgh, NY. Other options are Allegiant Air from Ogdensburg, NY, Syracuse, NY or Plattsburgh, NY (there are also a few airports farther) or Frontier Air from Syracuse, NY or I believe Burlington, VT (double check this one)

Definitely right about Allegiant being out of Ogdensburg... (not sure where I got Spirit from....)

Flying direct from Ottawa we definitely pre-clear in Ottawa --- as soon as you add a domestic connection that messes that up.

When we flew from YQR to YYZ to MCO, I don't think we had to pick up our luggage. We might have had to stop and move it from one belt to another but didn't have to to trek across the airport with it. However, do I do distinctly remember having to walk what seemed like FOREVER to get from our domestic gate to our international gate and we did have to go through security again. So all the drinks we bought at the airport had to be thrown out and I had to pull everything out of the stroller, it was a pain in the butt. Once we got through security it was fast through customs because they had the machines. Honestly, I hate the Toronto airport and try to avoid it when possible but mostly I just hate switching planes. I'm sorry your direct flight got changed, that would make me very unhappy.

Thanks... We haven't connected through YYZ in about 4 years so I'm hoping it will be less painful now but still hate connecting flights at YYZ.

That's crazy that they didn't let you know you didn't need to take the kids pictures (it's like herding chickens getting little ones to sit for passport photos... can't imagine that at the airport when they're amped up about going to WDW...)

I will be happy if we don't have to collect the bags in Toronto --- it always seemed to make the connections worse by having to collect the luggage, re-check the luggage, re-clear security and then go through customs.

The machine asked for the kids pictures, so we didn't know we could just hit the button without anyone in the picture. It was ridiculous trying to wake up a 4 month old baby and hold her for a picture. Never mind the crazy 4 year old making faces for the picture!

One thing that is not clear in your original post, did you just accept the flights that WJ swapped you to? If they are not convenient to you, you do have rights. You have the right to have them swap your flights to times that are convenient to you for no charge. You have the right to cancel the flight for a full refund and book with another airline, assuming you can find flights that are acceptable (WJ does not have to book you on another airline). They do not tell you this when they rebook your flights, but they will comply if you call them.

We have had this happen to us with WJ as well, and easily negotiated new flights with WJ that allowed us to keep our vacation itinerary intact. It did mean a few more hours off work at the start of vacation to make the flight times, but that was better for us than losing out on activities at the destination.

And like others report above WJ domestic to WJ US bound flights do have baggage pre-clearance in YYZ now. It is good to check the YYZ site listed above so that you understand the process, and follow the signage carefully. We have accidentally "missed a turn" in the long walk and ended up having to re-clear security when we did not need to. Won't make that mistake a second time (hopefully).

One thing that is not clear in your original post, did you just accept the flights that WJ swapped you to? If they are not convenient to you, you do have rights. You have the right to have them swap your flights to times that are convenient to you for no charge. You have the right to cancel the flight for a full refund and book with another airline, assuming you can find flights that are acceptable (WJ does not have to book you on another airline). They do not tell you this when they rebook your flights, but they will comply if you call them.

We have had this happen to us with WJ as well, and easily negotiated new flights with WJ that allowed us to keep our vacation itinerary intact. It did mean a few more hours off work at the start of vacation to make the flight times, but that was better for us than losing out on activities at the destination.

And like others report above WJ domestic to WJ US bound flights do have baggage pre-clearance in YYZ now. It is good to check the YYZ site listed above so that you understand the process, and follow the signage carefully. We have accidentally "missed a turn" in the long walk and ended up having to re-clear security when we did not need to. Won't make that mistake a second time (hopefully).

Originally they did just switch the times of the flight from a early morning flight to an evening one --- but as mentioned the new arrival time of the direct flight would have made us miss the MVMCP that we had purchased tickets to --- we called and we switched to a connecting flight that had a similar arrival time to our original flight --- but added about 3+ hours to our flying time -- with the connection in YYZ --- for which they could provide zero info as to the process for the connection in YYZ during the phone call (or 2 other calls made to ask the same question.) So they did allow us to change so I guess ultimately WJ did nothing that wasn't within it's rights to do but as a formerly very loyal customer/cc holder I think I would look at all other options first (AC, JetBlue, etc...) before opting for WJ in the future. Customer service was totally lacking in the response.

I get that airlines change stuff because of many factors but service was totally lacking which wasn't "Westjet-ish" to us. I get they want to compete with AC but I think if they lose the thing that made them Westjet (service, caring about the customer, flight selection, etc...) they may not find that people will stick with them. Total corporate choice but for us we've seen where we come out in terms of that .... so loyalty to WJ won't be a thing for us going forward --- we had the WJ card because it was pretty much the best choice but not so much anymore....

I did check the YYZ flight on the link mentioned and they only say "you may have pickup your luggage" but to call your airline. Which is what we did and the WJ reps had no idea at all about whether we needed to pickup our luggage or not. Basically a big waste of time.

Last edited:
Flying from ottawa,unless you get a direct flight,I find it best flying with united ,usually,or another American airline .Pre-clearance in ottawa,so that's out of the way,and usually a very short connection,say in newark.

Today DH went through an AM flight YOW-YYZ-PHX at roughly the same time/flight info (except the final leg went to PHX rather than MCO) and said he DIDN'T have to retrieve his baggage (which is awesome.)

Was glad to hear this as my main complaint in the past was the hassle of getting the luggage and carting it through an unfamiliar airport. DH said it was quick and easy so I think I'll be a bit more relaxed for our late Dec trip.

The biggest issue for us is the trek from gate (we start from YXU) to the US customs.

We had originally booked WJ out of YOW for an early AM direct flight to MCO in Dec (near Xmas) but they changed it to a late evening one which make our MVMCP tickets useless (so we had to move from a direct flight in the morning to one that goes YOW to YYZ and then YYZ to MCO) --- so not happy AT ALL with this but we'll adjust (unwillingly) but really we don't have much choice I guess...

So for our flight from YOW to YYZ (with a connector to MCO) --- is it domestic in terms of time we're required to arrive at the airport in YOW? Once we get to YYZ what do we do? Do we still need to collect our luggage like we used to and then go through US customs?

To be honest I think this forced change for us will totally get us to rethink the value of Westjet and the WJ cc for us overall (we'll likely cancel our WJ cc and be a bit more adhoc on this stuff to Orlando in the future --- Jet Blue out of Syracuse, Spririt out of Ogdensburg, driving down, AC direct where required, etc...) I think finally WJ has made it so there's so little value in using it that we have absolutely no loyalty to using them or their CC in the future which is sort of sad.

OP, another poster has written about your rights and I see that you got WJ to move your flight around, so that is good. Our last trip with them to WDW was December 2017. We booked at the 11 month mark as soon as flights becamse available [literally the first day we could book the tickets] -- YOW>YYZ>MCO down and direct MOC>YOW return.

Then comes the fall and WestJet announces their new schedule. Our return flight was now a connection via YYZ because they got rid of the direct flights from MCO to YOW (!). We were not amused. The flight they wanted to put us on was now in the morning, meaning we would lose the better part of a day of our trip. We called and said that was not acceptable. They moved us around to another flight that worked better.

Note: Reading WestJets page about "flight and service disruptions" and specifically the section under "delays, cancellations and schedule changes" on "schedule changes" was VERY IMPORTANT as it outlines what WestJet is SUPPOSED to do and in what timeframe -- which for us they did NOT meet [they changed our itinerary due to the schedule change but did not notify us within the required timeframe that the tickets had changed, I had to contact them].

Anyhow, good info to have for the future as WJ seems to like announcing schedule changes for winter and messing with their flights.

As for the connection in Toronto. We've done this a few times now.

It used to be that yes you had to manually claim your bags as part of the process. However, Pearson underwent a lengthy modernization process and for WestJet, Air Canada and many other airlines YOU NO LONGER HAVE TO, the movement of your bags from a DOMESTIC (Canada origin) flight to a USA outbound flight is automated. Well, unless something going wrong, but then it is the airline dealing with the bags, not you ;-)

So, this is how it works:

In Ottawa you are boarding a domestic flight. I would allow some extra time as you may need to go to the checkin counter and verify your passports and such since this is where you are checking in and ultimately you are a US-bound passenger. We always have to go to the checkin counter anyway for other reasons, so can't say if you will be able to do self checkin or will get booted to the counter, sorry. But assume you will be booted to the counter and plan accordingly time-wise.

You'll check your bags at the counter and they will go off to the plane and then you will go down and go through domestic security and to the gate.

When the plane lands in Toronto, follow the signs for USA CONNECTIONS. It is a LONG and TWISTY and CONFUSING walk through Pearson.

Because you are connecting to a USA flight you will need to (1) clear security AGAIN (even though you already did in Ottawa); and (2) clear US Customs.

Before you go into the US Customs room, you will wait in a room that has chairs until your name comes up on an overhead monitor. It should only take a little while. Basically you are waiting for your checked bags to make their way into the US side and be processed. Once it is, your name appears and you can enter the Customs room and get in the line to go through US Customs [they have kiosks now to make it faster; and if you have a Nexus/Global Entry card there is a special line and it is usually even faster].

Note, the seats are important because sometimes luggage decides to take a little adventure inside the airport. This happened to me on a work trip to the US. Fortunately, I had a 4 hour connection, because it took them an hour to find my wayward suitcase and bring it over to the US side -- according to WestJet and Delta my suitcase wanted to stay on the Canadian side of the airport. Anyhow, they knew it was missing; and they knew where it had been (except that was back in Ottawa...) and then once it turned up on the Canadian side where it was not supposed to be they knew that right away and the WestJet employee I was mostly dealing with was able to physically go to where it was and walk it over to the US side so it could enter back into the system on the proper side of the airport. Little bit of an adventure, but the employees and managers of both airlines were very nice and apologetic.

Anyhow, assuming no wayward luggage, you go through Customs. They will show you a picture(s) of your suitcase and ask you to confirm it is yours, so make sure you remember what your checked bags look like !!

Once you are through Customs you are in the US departure hall and go to your gate. There is not much to do in this area and the restaurant offerings are pretty sparse -- I suggest looking up the area on the PEarson website so you have an idea of what s available and where if you plan on trying to eat at all. The Noble Burger place near what is often the WestJet gate to MCO has pretty good food, though at airport prices.

Good luck !

SW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter