Question about upgrading to an Annual Pass and use of Memory Maker

jimonb

Earning My Ears
We hav a package booked and have park hopper passes and are planning on upgrading to annual pass while there. We also have the memory maker included in our package. Do we need the memory maker if we upgrade to the ap? Would it include the pictures taken before we upgrade?

You don’t need Memory Maker. As soon as you upgrade to an AP, all the photos linked to your MDX become available to you to download.

This is from the Memory Maker Sticky by @Tomh
Annual Passholders. Most Annual Passholder levels include free digital downloads of PhotoPass photos. If you have this, there is no need to buy any of the above Photo products. When you activate your Annual Pass, any photos which are currently in your PhotoPass account, as well as any you have taken while your Annual Pass is valid, will be available for you to download at no additional charge.

When I upgraded, the CM who helped us was very nice, but not very experienced. It took an hour, and he forgot to give us our AP cards until I asked. When I asked about applying the cost of my Memory Maker as a credit toward the purchase of the APs, he said we couldn't do it. I knew that wasn't true, but I just let it go. When I got back to the room that night, I emailed guest services. The next day they contacted my to tell me that they had put a credit on my account for the amount I paid for the MM. It was really easy-- super customer service. I hadn't activated the MM, so the worst case scenario would be that it would sit in my account until I took a trip where I would want to use it, but it was nice to get the credit.

Two bits of advice: 1. Upgrade on your first day if possible, so you can use your AP discount for food and merchandise right away. 2. Know ahead of time what your upgrade should cost, because my CM told me the wrong price at first, and it was $300 too high. He figured it out eventually, but it helps to know what you're supposed to be paying.

When I upgraded, the CM who helped us was very nice, but not very experienced. It took an hour, and he forgot to give us our AP cards until I asked. When I asked about applying the cost of my Memory Maker as a credit toward the purchase of the APs, he said we couldn't do it. I knew that wasn't true, but I just let it go.

If it was a ticket window CM wearing a red and orange vest, he was correct. We don't have the required authority to refund Memory Maker entitlements and put them towards the cost of an AP.

If it was a Guest Relations CM wearing navy blue and/or plaid, he just didn't know how to do it, because they're the folks who can handle that type of thing.

It shouldn't have taken an hour either way, though. Yikes.

Thanks everyone! If I upgraded on the last day, would it be good for 365 days from date of upgrade or from date of initial use of the original tickets?

If it was a ticket window CM wearing a red and orange vest, he was correct. We don't have the required authority to refund Memory Maker entitlements and put them towards the cost of an AP.

If it was a Guest Relations CM wearing navy blue and/or plaid, he just didn't know how to do it, because they're the folks who can handle that type of thing.

It shouldn't have taken an hour either way, though. Yikes.

It was at AK Guest Services. There was no line when we went in, but there sure was a line by the time we left. I felt bad, because I felt like we really held things up, even though it wasn't our fault. He was super nice, but he clearly wasn't used to doing what he was doing. Thank goodness I thought to ask about the AP cards. If we had left without them, that would have been a whole other issue. But yeah, an hour was way crazy. My family was so over it by the time we were finished.

But that is good to know about the ticket window CMs! Thanks for the info.

Thanks everyone! If I upgraded on the last day, would it be good for 365 days from date of upgrade or from date of initial use of the original tickets?

You're upgrading your ticket, so they use the ticket date. There's no advantage to waiting to upgrade. That's why I suggested getting it early, because those AP discounts add up quickly! Also-- you'll have to have your photo ID and your AP card with you in order to get the discount. They are very strict about checking.

When I upgraded, the CM who helped us was very nice, but not very experienced. It took an hour, and he forgot to give us our AP cards until I asked. When I asked about applying the cost of my Memory Maker as a credit toward the purchase of the APs, he said we couldn't do it. I knew that wasn't true, but I just let it go. When I got back to the room that night, I emailed guest services. The next day they contacted my to tell me that they had put a credit on my account for the amount I paid for the MM. It was really easy-- super customer service. I hadn't activated the MM, so the worst case scenario would be that it would sit in my account until I took a trip where I would want to use it, but it was nice to get the credit.

Two bits of advice: 1. Upgrade on your first day if possible, so you can use your AP discount for food and merchandise right away. 2. Know ahead of time what your upgrade should cost, because my CM told me the wrong price at first, and it was $300 too high. He figured it out eventually, but it helps to know what you're supposed to be paying.

I had almost the exact same experience. But they must have called in a Navy vest, because we ended up with our credit before we left the window. But it was a little over an hour and at least 5 people I could see and numerous phone calls for it to get done. I tell people now, if you know you want to upgrade, don’t add the MM. Save that money to apply to the upgrade. It’s not worth the headache it cause to upgrade.

Edit: we made the line back up too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!