Question about travel insurance . . .

lacy1101

DIS Veteran
Not sure if this is the appropriate place for this post, so someone please let me know if it's not . . .

We have an upcoming trip planned for November 14-18, 2018. I booked the trip in December last year and paid the deposit, opting out of the insurance. We have a $600 left to pay on our package and our final payment is due 10/15/18.

I basically have two questions:

1. I believe I have read that I can purchase the travel insurance at any point prior to final payment. Is that correct?

2. Will insurance cover if I had to cancel the trip at some point between final payment and our arrival date due to serious illness or death of my mother? Let me explain:

We have suspected that my mother has dementia for some time now, a couple of years actually, but she refused to see a doctor. In June of this year, some medical issues necessitated an admission to the hospital. We were able to have her assessed and she was diagnosed with severe dementia. She is back home now, but the dementia has progressed rapidly to the point that she is immobile (had to get a hospital bed), and incontinent. With her declining so rapidly in the last three months, I can only wonder where things will be in November.

I really have no idea what to expect. I have heard that people can live in this state for years. If there's one thing I've learned over the last three months it's that there is no consistency with dementia. She is not consistently bad, and she is not consistently good. It fluctuates from day to day. I guess I just want to prepared in the event her condition (or possibly even death) is such that we will have to think about cancelling the trip.

There are so many different insurances out there that you really need to read the fine print. I never buy my insurance through Disney. They are overpriced and under insured, IMO. I use Allianz Global, which is the AAA preferred company. They also have many different options but are very friendly and helpful. If you call an insurance company and explain your needs, they should be able to tell you exactly what plan you will need. As a side note, I never book WDW as a package and just do room only. That way I can at least cancel my room up to the last minute without penalty. Sorry to hear about your Mom.

There are so many different insurances out there that you really need to read the fine print. I never buy my insurance through Disney. They are overpriced and under insured, IMO. I use Allianz Global, which is the AAA preferred company. They also have many different options but are very friendly and helpful. If you call an insurance company and explain your needs, they should be able to tell you exactly what plan you will need. As a side note, I never book WDW as a package and just do room only. That way I can at least cancel my room up to the last minute without penalty. Sorry to hear about your Mom.

IMHO, this is very good advice. The room-only cancellation terms are so much more flexible. It does mean you have to purchase tickets separately and they are non-refundable, however, they do not lose value and you can either use them or apply their value to new tickets (should they happen to expire) on a future trip.

Also, WDW has much more lenient change terms. If something happens and you can no longer travel, you can always reschedule your trip to avoid losing your $200 deposit. Technically, there is a $50 change fee, however, that fee is typically waived if the cost of your trip for your new dates is equal to or greater than your original package.

IMHO, WDW travel insurance is more for things that may happen during your trip and you need to leave early or extend the trip (due to illness, weather related issues, etc.). If you outright had to cancel a package, your WDW loss is only $200. I would weigh insurance cost vs. losing $200 as well.

@lacy1101 So sorry to hear about your mother's situation. I'm wishing you and your family well.

Assuming that you're purchasing your trip with a credit card, I would also compare the benefits of any insurance you purchase with travel insurance that's automatically provided to you through your credit card company. Many people forget that their credit cards come with some travel insurance. The credit card benefits can vary greatly, however, but in some cases they may be enough coverage where it makes sense not to spend money for marginally more protection. The answer is ultimately a very personal one.

But based on the fact that you can postpone a WDW vacation, you'll want to consider whether you've booked other non-refundable items such as airplane tickets (usually requires a change fee) and rental car (often non-refundable if pre-paid).

In the case of travel insurance through Disney, that does cover your nonrefundable flight tickets even if purchased separately, as well as under age 18 coverage for free. Weigh the cost of other travel insurance and what exactly they cover. The Disney insurance is pretty minimal coverage but might suffice, and yes you can purchase it up to final payment.

If no trip insurance on a Disney package you lose the $200 deposit within 30 days and up to 2 days before the trip, 1 day before the trip it's nonrefundable. Disney does work with you to apply funds to another trip, so you can move your deposit (or whatever funds you've already paid) and not lose it. Got to book that trip when you cancel the other one, or book the new one first and then call to cancel the old one and have the funds moved. Disney can't do anything about flight penalties though.

As far as independent trip insurance we find Travelex to be pretty good, there are many out there. Best to call a few and explain what your concern is to see if that would be covered. Also make sure travel interruption is included in case you have to cut the vacation short and fly back home for mom's issues.

Also, some companies do not cover pre-existing conditions, that is to say anything that happened before the policy purchase. For most this refers to pre-existing medical conditions for the travelers only, but some might extend that to relatives too, so that is certainly something you should ask!

Last edited:
If you call an insurance company and explain your needs, they should be able to tell you exactly what plan you will need.

Yep.

So, since the possibility of canceling has to do with issues with your mother, you will need to have the pre existing conditions waiver. Because otherwise they will look back a certain number of months to see if the cause of cancellation is related to anything she was diagnosed with and/or being treated for. If it was and you didn’t have the PEC waiver, they won’t cover it.

So you need that. And I don’t think Disney has it.

And you have to make sure the insurance you buy will cover cancellation because of someone not traveling.

I’m very sorry about your mom.

When I purchase insurance it's typically through insuremytrip.com. You put in your travel details, and they come back with lots of quotes for varying rates, and coverage types.

We buy AIG Travelguard. But to cover pre-existing conditions it requires it be purchased within 2 weeks of making initial reservations . As was said, read the fine print.

I have never bought travel insurance and here is why. We have a family trip booked to leave tomorrow. We had 2 rooms booked on BB. One in my name and one in DH name. We were taking both of our sons, granddaughter and daughter in law. Two weeks ago DH had a heart attack and needed open heart surgery. Disney was wonderful and cancelled both rooms and made a new reservation for 1 room under my sons name. DH & I already had a trip booked for January so they took the credit and added to that reservation, but I believe she would have credited my Disney Visa if I asked.

I booked my flight through Southwest so they cancelled DH and I and received a travel credit. Since we already paid for our January trip and I booked the original trip in February I lost $400. However once DH is feeling better I may have to book a trip somewhere for $$$$$ so I don't lose the $400 credit.:rolleyes1

I have never bought travel insurance and here is why. We have a family trip booked to leave tomorrow. We had 2 rooms booked on BB. One in my name and one in DH name. We were taking both of our sons, granddaughter and daughter in law. Two weeks ago DH had a heart attack and needed open heart surgery. Disney was wonderful and cancelled both rooms and made a new reservation for 1 room under my sons name. DH & I already had a trip booked for January so they took the credit and added to that reservation, but I believe she would have credited my Disney Visa if I asked.

I booked my flight through Southwest so they cancelled DH and I and received a travel credit. Since we already paid for our January trip and I booked the original trip in February I lost $400. However once DH is feeling better I may have to book a trip somewhere for $$$$$ so I don't lose the $400 credit.:rolleyes1
I don't buy it when I travel domestically but I do when I go on the cruise or leave the country. I always book room only when I go to WDW and have an annual pass so it's not an issue for me. But I can see if someone does not go often and gets the package. But I would not buy from Disney. There are cheaper companies.

If I was going anyplace other than Disney and not flying Southwest, I would also consider insurance.

Yep.

So, since the possibility of canceling has to do with issues with your mother, you will need to have the pre existing conditions waiver. Because otherwise they will look back a certain number of months to see if the cause of cancellation is related to anything she was diagnosed with and/or being treated for. If it was and you didn’t have the PEC waiver, they won’t cover it.

So you need that. And I don’t think Disney has it.

And you have to make sure the insurance you buy will cover cancellation because of someone not traveling.

I’m very sorry about your mom.

I was wondering if this would qualify as a pre-existing condition as there were no immediate concerns with her health when I booked the trip. I guess it doesn't matter what was going on when I booked the trip though, it only matters what is going on when I purchase the insurance . . . is that correct?

I guess it doesn't matter what was going on when I booked the trip though, it only matters what is going on when I purchase the insurance . . . is that correct?

Correct. Since you did not initially purchase travel insurance at the time of initially booking the trip, the clock moves forward to now. Anything already known now is considered pre-existing. Similarly in the case of weather - one can't wait until there is a bad storm on the horizon and then purchase travel insurance, that storm can't be covered once it is known.

Best of luck to you and your mom. My heart goes out to you; I know how difficult that situation is for all involved. :hug:

Yep.

Do you mind to elaborate on the pre-existing conditions waiver? Would it be available to me in my situation and, if so, how does one get it?

Do you mind to elaborate on the pre-existing conditions waiver? Would it be available to me in my situation and, if so, how does one get it?

That may depend on the policy and if mom is/was planning to travel with you.

If mom is planned as part of the travel party... it is definitely a pre-existing condition and insurance may require documentation that she is well enough to travel today (or the day you purchase insurance) in the event you file a claim. Depending on your plans/reservations, you may be able to get separate policies - one for you (and your family) and another for mom.

If mom isn't part of the travel party, it may not require a PEC (pre-existing condition) waiver. Policies vary, which is why it's good advice to call and speak with the agent before purchasing, asking any specific questions you have.

I hope you get to enjoy your vacation! Caretaking can be exhausting.

Typically they waive pre-existing conditions if the policy was purchased within xx days after the deposit. My mom was seriously ill and I always bought the insurance right away so that I wouldn't have to worry about the pre-existing conditions. She was traveling with me, so it actually came into play when she passed away before a trip. I had to file a claim for the airline tickets. Room was DVC, so I had time to cancel it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter