Question about sell outs

Violet Parr

DIS Veteran
First, I'm shocked Wine and Dine isn't sold out yet! Not even the 5K and 10K. I seriously doubt runDisney is losing popularity....could it be that they are selling more spots? Or was the registration opening poorly advertised?

Second, if, say, for Marathon weekend, the 5K and 10K sell out, can there still be Dopey spots available? I seem to recall the half selling out but Goofy and Dopey spots remaining last year, but I could be wrong. Trying to decide on what to run this year but there are some scheduling issues I'm waiting to find out about.

Thanks!

VP

If you have a look at the thread about saturation (http://www.disboards.com/threads/have-we-reached-the-saturation-point.3572498/), you'll see that most people think runDisney races are losing popularity. For Wine & Dine specifically, I don't think there are any additional slots nor has rD been slacking in advertising the race. Rather, the race has lost it's appeal for many people because it's no longer a unique night race. It's now one more Disney 10k and half weekend.

For marathon weekend, the 5k and 10k tend to sell out quickly because so many of their available slots are set aside for Dopey runners.

Ah, interesting! I have not been following along and only know that interest is still high in my own circles. I missed Wine and Dine registration two years in a row because it sold out so quickly. I would certainly prefer a night race! I did the final Expedition Everest Challenge in 2015 and it was such great fun.

Thanks for the info, John!

VP

I sure hope they aren't adding more spots (note: I don't think that they are). If those race courses get any more crowded that would be a huge turn-off for me!

Another thing that's not really their fault are the modified courses some of these races are getting due to ther construction in DHS.Wine and Dine for example not only was a unique night race but had a much better course and of course ran through the Osborne lights which sadly is now gone,the course introduced last year has to be the worst half course of all Run Disney races.I'm also not a fan of how nobody knows what the courses will be until like a week before the race itself.I think Run Disney is in a lull right now from its peak of popularity a couple of years ago.I think if they listen to their runners and adjust the races to add night races and bring back Halloween themed races as well as DHS construction finishing off and allowing for races to run through Star Wars and Toy Story land then you're going to see faster sell outs.

Another thing that's not really their fault are the modified courses some of these races are getting due to ther construction in DHS.Wine and Dine for example not only was a unique night race but had a much better course and of course ran through the Osborne lights which sadly is now gone,the course introduced last year has to be the worst half course of all Run Disney races.I'm also not a fan of how nobody knows what the courses will be until like a week before the race itself.I think Run Disney is in a lull right now from its peak of popularity a couple of years ago.I think if they listen to their runners and adjust the races to add night races and bring back Halloween themed races as well as DHS construction finishing off and allowing for races to run through Star Wars and Toy Story land then you're going to see faster sell outs.

Along those same lines, I think they could boost interest by adding significantly different themes to the weekends. It may not be feasible with the "paired" races:

WDWMW & DLH (the classics)
SWLS & SWDS (tied their hands with the Kessel Run for now)
Princess & Tink (women-focused)

So take Avengers and Wine & Dine and change up the themes from year to year, announcing the themes prior to registration. Imagine one year having a Pirates of the Caribbean race on one coast and Nightmare Before Christmas on the other. The following year you could have a Haunted Mansion Weekend and a Pixar Weekend (or even a specific Pixar movie theme). You might want to switch one of the existing races to the fall so you get a rotationally themed race on one coast in the spring and on the other in the fall.

Just trying to think of ways to reinvigorate interest in the races.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter