question about rides and waiting in line?

violet13

Mouseketeer
We've going to IOA and Universal in a week, I hear much talk about how to get these special passes and not waiting in the lines a long time, I will have 4 small kids with me, I'm not staying at a Universal Hotel, I didn't buy my tickets off of AAA, or any of those things I hear suggested. AM I doomed to wait in LONG lines? Someone explain to me how I can get in shorter lines, they are only open from 9-5 the days we are going... Need tips! Thanks..

I don't know what days you plan to be at USF/IOA, but if they are weekdays, I wouldn't worry too much about long lines. I've poppd in there on a couple of recent Wed. afternoons and there weren't any lines at all, not even for Spiderman. That said, if you're going on a weekend, you might have more of an issue. I would say your best bet, either way is to get there when the park opens, and do any dining at off peak times. (like 11am or 3 for lunch) when most others are dining.

They normally offer Express passes, which are free for everyone, but I think they are discontinued currently...but the reason for that, I believe, is that there isn't much of a need for them right now.

If you're travelling with another adult, and need to take turns on rides the little ones can't (or won't) go on, I'm pretty sure they offer a baby swap, so that you could each ride without waiting twice. There is also a single riders line for some attractions (MIB is our favorite!) and if everyone isn't doing that attraction, can be a way to move along quicker.
My kids are 7 and 9 and we use the single rider lines all the time...but they're not "little" (according to them anyway!)

Good luck!
Karen

But I have 2 questions.....what is MIB? and this Baby swap thing....do you need a special pass?, Or do you just tell the operator?.. we will DEFINETLY be using that ALOT, children ages 4 months, 3 & 4 yrs and 11 yrs. old So they only offer the express passes IF it gets busy...I guess that makes sense! Thanks

Sorry, it's Men In Black at Universal! Definitely not for the infant!

I haven't used the baby-swap at Universal, but I've heard it works just like at Disney...you inform them that you wish to do the baby-swap, and they will give you further instructions. I would check with them outside to be sure they offer it. You wouldn't need any special pass or anything tho.

Karen

11 years old, 4 years old, 3 years old and 4 months old. you are a braver soul than i.

like MsDisney said get there early and if you are in IOA go to the right instead of the left.:smooth:

Defenitely get to the when they open, the park's are empty.

You might consider bringing 2 way radios. My ds and dd were 5 and 10 on our last trip and the radios made it much easier to split up if the kids wanted to do different things. We bought Cobra3's, with privacy codes, fold down antennas and vibrate/ring options. Sorry about the commercial!

Also, if it's warm enough to get wet, bring swimsuits and towels. You can stash them in lockers at the beginning of the parks. There are some really fun water play areas in both parks. You'll spend ALOT of time in Woody Woodpecker's kidzone at Universal.

With kids as young as yours, I know you don't have alot of time to read but if you get a chance pick up a copy of Kelly Monaghan's book "The ultimate guide to the ultimate theme park, Universal Studios Orlando". It contains great descriptions of the rides and show.

have fun!

I tend to do the park like this:

Arrive at 8:30
When the rope drops, I head to:

Spider-Man
Hulk
Dr. Doom
Cat in the Hat
One Fish (if the line is short)
Universal Express pass for Posideon's Fury
Dueling Dragons (both sides)
JPRA
Ripsaw Falls
Popeye

Then I go see Posideon's Fury and then some of the shows and smaller rides I missed. Now I'm staying onsite a lot, so I don't need to worry about lines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter