Question about Rider Switch system

chimoe

Mouseketeer
Hello All,

Heading to Disney World later this year and we are traveling with 3 adults, 1 child and a 1yr old.

I was watching a Youtube video that talked about Rider switch and I left a bit confused. It mentioned that you don't need to FP all adults (only the 1st one riding), and the 2nd rider doesn't need to a FP. and they can use that FP on another ride.

Can someone shed light on this? sounds like a hack of some sort to get a extra fastpasses.

Thanks, So I understand this correctly. I have setup a scenario below at Hollywood studios:

Adult 1, 2 - FP for 10.30 at Slinky's Dog Dash
Adult 3 and child 1 - FP at 11.30AM at Alien Swirling Saucer.
Infant (no rides)

1. ) Adult 1 and 2 can give ride swap tix to adult 3 and child 1 for Slinky's Dog Dash,
2. ) Adult 3 and child 1 can give swap tix to Adult 1 and 2 for Alien Swirling Saucer?

Can child 1 also ride twice on each rides since there can be 3 people per ride swap tix?

Thanks for help. Trying to understand what appears to be an extra benefit of the ride swap system. I dont' want to book FPs with incorrect understanding how it works.

We had mixed results doing this last week. I almost didn’t want to elaborate because I don’t want to start a riot about it but this may be helpful so here goes nothing.

I booked FP before the system changed to paperless. I was able to change most FP’s so that all 6 riders in our party had them, except for SDD and FoP. I confirmed at least 6 times through various means of communications with a CM that we would all need FP and based on mixed results here, I decided not to chance it so I changed all of the ones I could still change. So, in my case we ALL did have a FP for all but 2 attractions and it was still a hassle.

The procedure:
At any ride where I asked for RS, hassle ensued, even if we all had a FP, and especially on rides where no one had a FP. This was at 7DMT, Alien Saucers, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Primeval Whirl, Thunder Mountain, Soarin’, Star Tours, Everest, and a few others I can’t even remember. All 6 had FP, I had 2 yo non-rider in stroller with me.

For each of the mentioned attractions, I had to ask CM stationed at FP entrance for a RS (normal so far). Then they would tap my magic band with a device the size of an iPhone, ask who was staying behind (I’d tell them I was), then they’d ask who was riding second and tap those two magic bands as well and give us a time to return by (sometimes as little as 15 minutes, sometimes as much as an hour).

Where it all falls apart:
The handheld devices often had to be rebooted. At Everest the CM told me she’d just let someone know we had RS. Well guess who wasn’t there when DH got off the ride? Yes-both the CM and the CM she supposedly told. So in more than one case we wasted time explaining and asking. We had a few cases where it must not have applied the RS because even though my older kids had their bands tapped as additional riders for my RS, their bands didn’t work (lit up blue, were told they didn’t have passes, more explaining and more time wasted.

Rides where all of us did not have FP:
SDD- we explained to the CM (as I was told to do when I initially contacted guest services for clarification when the system went paperless). CM asked if we all had FP, we told her (again) that 3 did and 3 did not. She stated that the person with FP (so DH) could be given RS and bring 2 people back. So older kids were put on RS as the second 2 people. DH then gave me his magic band so I could use his RS and take the kids with me. Well, his band didn’t work and we were told he already used FP and that because 3 of us did not have FP we would have to wait standby (apparently the handheld device had not worked yet again and we then spent more time explaining in the 100 degree heat).

FoP-explained to CM. RS was applied to my (non-FP having) magic band. Literally the ONLY time all week this went smoothly, but still with plenty of asking and explaining.

Bottom line is that I wouldn’t chance it anymore. It may still work sometimes right now but I saw plenty of CM’s explaining that it doesn’t work that way and so on.

We also had confusing experiences with RS. The iPad had to be rebooted, but luckily the RS always loaded on our bands. The most confusing part of all was the return time - one CM said we had to return at “precisely” 11:23. No 5 minutes buffer before or after. Another said come back “after” 2:06. Another said “before” the given time... i was so confused.
At space mountain during EMH, two cast members verbally agreed to the RS, and my husband and son rode while I waited with my 3yo. By the time they got off, the line stretched across Tomorrowland. I suppose this was bc they were scanning all bands for EMH, but at that point, standby was the same as RS. So we bailed for something with less of a line. It all seems a little chaotic...

All that is to say- yes, you could probably gain a couple of extra fp’s using RS, but I wouldn’t count on it as a primary strategy. Consider it a little happy extra when it works!

It's really nice they took a system that worked really well and easy, and turned it into a cluster. Hopefully people are sharing this feedback on their surveys.

Thanks, So I understand this correctly. I have setup a scenario below at Hollywood studios:

Adult 1, 2 - FP for 10.30 at Slinky's Dog Dash
Adult 3 and child 1 - FP at 11.30AM at Alien Swirling Saucer.
Infant (no rides)

1. ) Adult 1 and 2 can give ride swap tix to adult 3 and child 1 for Slinky's Dog Dash,
2. ) Adult 3 and child 1 can give swap tix to Adult 1 and 2 for Alien Swirling Saucer?

Can child 1 also ride twice on each rides since there can be 3 people per ride swap tix?

Thanks for help. Trying to understand what appears to be an extra benefit of the ride swap system. I dont' want to book FPs with incorrect understanding how it works.

In your scenario, Child 1 could hypothetically ride twice on Alien Swirling Saucer- once with the FP and once with the rider swap. They would only be able to ride Slinky Dog once, only with the rider swap since they wouldn't have the FP to ride it the first time. 3 people can ride per rider swap pass, so Adult 1 OR 2 could hypothetically ride Slinky Dog a second time, once with their FP and once with the rider swap (using the rider swap along with Adult 3 and Child 1), with the other adult staying back with the little one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter