Question about picking up race packet for marathon

bama314

Earning My Ears
Hi,

We are starting to plan our next Disney trip for January of 2018. I did a marathon (non Disney) about 10 years ago and have been wanting to do another one. I thought this will be perfect since we will be there anyway. So, I am planning on doing The WDW Marathon on January 7th, 2018. I'm just having a little trouble figuring out how to pick up the race packet. Due to our jobs, it is easier to leave on a Saturday and take off work the next week. Using this year's expo times, I would have to be there by 4 on Saturday. The flight we normally take gets to MCO around 1:00. So, that should give us enough time, but what if there is a delay? I read somewhere that they do same day pickups, which is good. What about Saturday night after the expo closes? I would rather get it that night instead of having to get up earlier on race day.

So currently once the expo closes there is no way to pick-up the packet prior to the morning of the race. Even then Disney rarely admits to the day-of pick-up because they would prefer people flying in earlier. If you get into MCO around 1:00pm I would say even that is kind of cutting it close due depending on how you're travelling. For example Disney transportation to the expo is only from resort hotels so you would have to get the Magical Express -> Resort Hotel -> Expo. If you guys are driving or staying off property then you can go directly to the expo so you might have a bit more time that way.

So currently once the expo closes there is no way to pick-up the packet prior to the morning of the race. Even then Disney rarely admits to the day-of pick-up because they would prefer people flying in earlier. If you get into MCO around 1:00pm I would say even that is kind of cutting it close due depending on how you're travelling. For example Disney transportation to the expo is only from resort hotels so you would have to get the Magical Express -> Resort Hotel -> Expo. If you guys are driving or staying off property then you can go directly to the expo so you might have a bit more time that way.
I agree with this right here. I would suggest getting an earlier flight if you are using Disney Transportation.

If its possible I would suggest flying in Friday night after you are done with work rather than Saturday to give you that extra time.

Hi,

We are starting to plan our next Disney trip for January of 2018. I did a marathon (non Disney) about 10 years ago and have been wanting to do another one. I thought this will be perfect since we will be there anyway. So, I am planning on doing The WDW Marathon on January 7th, 2018. I'm just having a little trouble figuring out how to pick up the race packet. Due to our jobs, it is easier to leave on a Saturday and take off work the next week. Using this year's expo times, I would have to be there by 4 on Saturday. The flight we normally take gets to MCO around 1:00. So, that should give us enough time, but what if there is a delay? I read somewhere that they do same day pickups, which is good. What about Saturday night after the expo closes? I would rather get it that night instead of having to get up earlier on race day.
@Anisum summed it up pretty well - I'm gonna agree with getting an earlier flight. Yes, there is emergency day-of packet pick-up, but it's not advertised - which in my mind means that it is not guaranteed and could go away at any time.

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like we need to get there on Friday to make sure we are not rushed.

For Wine & Dine, I worked packet pickup as a volunteer on Thursday. At the end of our shift (close of the Expo), we consolidated all remaining 5K bibs into one box and and all the sign-in sheets into one book to be transferred to the race site for pickup on Friday morning. No pre-ordered items, no shirts, nothing - you could get your bib that morning IF you had your ID and a printed waiver (they were not planning to offer a way to print out your waiver at emergency pickup) and you had to go back to the Expo to pick up any other items.

I would not recommend doing this for the Marathon because it means you wouldn't get any pre-order items or your Marathon shirt as the Expo is closed for good after 4 p.m. on Saturday. RunDisney will not mail you these items either. Best bet is to take a late flight out on Friday or an earlier flight on Saturday.

IF you can't move that flight, then I most certainly would not rely on Disney transportation - take an Uber from the airport straight to WWoS, and then go from WWoS to your hotel after you pick up your packet.

Ok, thanks for the info. Nothing is set in stone yet. We are just starting to think about the trip. It sounds like our best option would be to leave right after work on Friday if we can get a flight that works out. We could get there late Friday, sleep in Saturday, and have plenty of time to get to the expo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter