Question about lines\standing

cuppiecakebows

Earning My Ears
I struggle with standing in lines that aren’t moving. My heart rate shoots up, my blood pressure drops and I could pass out. I either have POTS or Neurocardiogenic Syncope( dr appt this week to discuss test results). I’m fine if I’m moving. I was wondering if I could get your opinions on maybe taking a folding cane with a seat on it to help with lines that are at a stand still or just waiting where there’s no seating. I’m thinking that if I were to see about a DAS they would suggest a wheelchair. I don’t want to be in a wheelchair as we will have our daughter with us who is in a wheelchair and I need to walk off all the Disney calories I will be consuming. Any opinions?

It's possible that your cane with folding seat could be considered a type of folding chair and not allowed in. A rollator might be a more reliable option, if you're not needed to push your daughter's wheelchair.

I have seen CM ask guest not to use a folding cane as a set ( I even have seen a guest fall out of one and break there arm)

most lines are slow moving with stopping every 30 seconds to a minute. since your DD is in a wheelchair you can use her wheelchair to make a little bubble around you stepping in place sidestep will help keep your hard rate up. there are a number of places besides the lines this will help with

Also if you need a place to sit I would not rely on Disney to provide one for you. places to sit you will need to provide it. Disney has been taking the bench and set out, the ones left normally have someone sitting in them. To make a long story short I have seen a guest that needed a place not able to sit and fall. since your DD use a wheelchair could you attach a roller to the back of it. I know someone that did this to her walker when she needed to use this to transfer. You could keep it on the back of her chair and when in a line. then get it off in the lines.

Even if WDW allowed you to use a cane with a folding seat, they are tippy and I think would not be stable enough for someone who could possibly pass out.

A rollator would help much more in your situation than DAS would.
DAS allows guests whose disability prevents waiting in the regular line to wait outside of the line. But, there are quite a few attractions where guests need to sit unless they have a wheelchair, rollator or ECV. There is a list of those in page of the disABILITIES FAQs thread. You can find that near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature.

OP reading your other threads it sounds like you have two kids one is 13 and needs a wheelchair some of the time ( it would like walking a lot is hard for her) another child that is older does not have any disabilities your DH and you.

Since you do not have any problems with walking but standing is the problem and only some times and your DD has problems walking but sounds like she can stand and walk some could the two of you share one wheelchair and in line that is stopped for too long for you then you could sit and your DD could walk a little. I might be off on the needs but it sounds like this could work for you.

Just trying to think of some other way for you.

OP reading your other threads it sounds like you have two kids one is 13 and needs a wheelchair some of the time ( it would like walking a lot is hard for her) another child that is older does not have any disabilities your DH and you.

Since you do not have any problems with walking but standing is the problem and only some times and your DD has problems walking but sounds like she can stand and walk some could the two of you share one wheelchair and in line that is stopped for too long for you then you could sit and your DD could walk a little. I might be off on the needs but it sounds like this could work for you.

Just trying to think of some other way for you.
Yes, this could definitely work. I hadn’t thought of it! We’ve had some comments about our daughter and her being able get up and walk out of her wheelchair and she’s so nervous that someone would say something to her that it hadn’t crossed my mind. I don’t care what people say or think as long as I’m taking care of what our family needs that’s all that should matter. It’s a little different for a 13yr old girl though.

Yes, this could definitely work. I hadn’t thought of it! We’ve had some comments about our daughter and her being able get up and walk out of her wheelchair and she’s so nervous that someone would say something to her that it hadn’t crossed my mind. I don’t care what people say or think as long as I’m taking care of what our family needs that’s all that should matter. It’s a little different for a 13yr old girl though.

A good number of people using wheelchairs at Disney can also walk they just can not do the amount that Disney requires. since there is no real advantage to using a wheelchair ( like you do not get to skip the lines) most people do not really care.

Most people at Disney are also way to involved in there own vacation to care what your family is doing, now this can be a good thing in that they just will not care if in line she gets up and start to walk some and you sit or when she gets to the ride she gets up and walk to the ride. it can be bad when trying to maneuver around the park and people walk right in front of you.

I would get something so that you can find your wheelchair when you have to park it somewhere. I have seen these little light up thing that are on a poll and are about eye high for people walking this might help with people walking into her or maybe get some glow stick for her wheels at night

A good number of people using wheelchairs at Disney can also walk they just can not do the amount that Disney requires. since there is no real advantage to using a wheelchair ( like you do not get to skip the lines) most people do not really care.

Most people at Disney are also way to involved in there own vacation to care what your family is doing, now this can be a good thing in that they just will not care if in line she gets up and start to walk some and you sit or when she gets to the ride she gets up and walk to the ride. it can be bad when trying to maneuver around the park and people walk right in front of you.

I would get something so that you can find your wheelchair when you have to park it somewhere. I have seen these little light up thing that are on a poll and are about eye high for people walking this might help with people walking into her or maybe get some glow stick for her wheels at night
Thank you

Yes you can use a cane with a seat at Disney. We live 3 miles from Disney Oct-April and I used a cane with seat (I bought from Dick's Sporting Goods in the golf section). I had to move to a walker because of health issues last year.

Tell your daughter that there are so many people in wheelchairs at Disney that no one will notice. We were just there and saw people of all ages and sizes in wheelchairs. The only time a mobility device caught my attention is when I saw an ECV with a kid and a grownup in it, because I know that is against the rules.

We’ve had some comments about our daughter and her being able get up and walk out of her wheelchair.
(copied from another forum) Words that could be custom printed on a handkerchief to hang on the back of a wheelchair or on a T shirt: "I can walk -- only to first base."

I have similar issues with standing too long. I fought it for years but the last two trips I’ve used a wheelchair and it makes my whole trip more enjoyable. And there are times when I get up out of the chair , especially at restaurants where seating is cramped and limited and if people give me the stink eye, I just ignore them. I know I need it to have an
Enjoyable vacation and it doesn’t really matter what anyone else thinks. Sometimes when I want to walk, my very able bodied teenager rides in it, because who doesn’t need a break every now and then at Disney? As others have pointed out, it’s no real advantage as far as lines, and it hurts no one else. Honestly, the wheelchair line can be longer than a regular line on some rides.

Yes you can use a cane with a seat at Disney. We live 3 miles from Disney Oct-April and I used a cane with seat (I bought from Dick's Sporting Goods in the golf section). I had to move to a walker because of health issues last year.

Would you mind sharing a pic of the one you use? My 80 something dad would love to visit the parks again, but his balance isn't what it used to be. And he definitely could use something handy to sit on. I'm thinking he may have to have a rollator of some sort, but if you know of a can seat that isn't tippy, that would probably be an easier sell.

Would you mind sharing a pic of the one you use? My 80 something dad would love to visit the parks again, but his balance isn't what it used to be. And he definitely could use something handy to sit on. I'm thinking he may have to have a rollator of some sort, but if you know of a can seat that isn't tippy, that would probably be an easier sell.

A Rollator is MUCH safer. If your dad tries to deploy that "seat" on some of the patterned concrete at WDW, it could be disastrous. If he tries to sit, and misses that tiny little seat, or knocks over the device (because by design, it can't be as stable as a regular chair) and then lands on the concrete, he could suffer minimally severe bruises, and could easily break bone(s). His safety is not worth the gamble.

A "seat cane" not really a chair - it's a hybrid device, with a tiny seat and a - by necessity - small "footprint" for the tripod that is created when it is opened. Therefore, it is very unstable, and it is very easy for someone - especially an older person who may have balance issues to begin with - to miss the seat, and fall, or to accidentally knock over while they are trying to sit down. It is also heavier than a standard cane to carry, which means he may tire out sooner.

Think about these things before you get a "seat cane" for your dad:

- How does he sit? Does he require an armrest, or a sturdy surface on which to hold while sitting down? Then a seat cane is probably not safe.

- How is his vision, especially his peripheral vision? When using a seat cane, you have to be able to sit down onto a very small little seat; if he misses, it will most likely tip the device over, and he will land on the concrete. And nobody wants that to happen.

- How long can he walk? The average Guest at WDW will walk between 3 & 10 miles *per day*. Can he use an extra-heavy cane for that long?

Personally, I think your dad might be better served with a wheelchair that he could push like a Rollator, and ride in (with you, or another family member pushing) when he gets tired. If he balks, just remind him that it's only a *tool* to use while at WDW - it's no different than using a hammer to pound a nail; you wouldn't try to build a house using a stapler to hammer in those nails! :) And let him know that LOTS of folks use a little extra assistance at WDW that they would never need at home - it's no big deal, I promise! He can sit in that wheelchair, and wave to all the pretty girls like the visiting handsome hero that he is! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter