Question about flying with Insulin?

shmoogrrrl

Tigger Goddess
I am sure this has been asked over and over again, and I am sure that somewhere I can find the answer to my question on this board, but I must be an idiot using the search function, because nothing is showing up.

We are flying to Disney at the end of April and it will be my first time flying after September 11th and all the new rules. I am a diabetic and since we are TTC, I am currently on insulin. Can someone give me a website, or enlighten me about the rules for flying with meds and needles and all that?

I know that I need them in their original containers, but do I need actual perscriptions for them? To get those, would I just call my Doctor and explain the situation, or would a note from the Doctor be enough? Do I even need to bother with that since I will have labels on my meds?

I have a small little cool pack to carry my insulin in so keeping it cool shouldn't be a problem, but the boxes they come in won't fit in the cooler, only the bottles. Can I just carry the boxes (That will have the prescription labels) in my backpack, or do they need to be actually IN the box?

Anything special that I need to do with insulin needles besides having the original packaging and label?

Anything else I need to know? I only take the insulin in the evening before dinner and bed, so I won't even need it on the plane, but I do plan to carry it with me, just in case something happens to our luggage, etc..... Anything to make checking in and flying eaiser would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I am sure this has been asked over and over again, and I am sure that somewhere I can find the answer to my question on this board, but I must be an idiot using the search function, because nothing is showing up.

We are flying to Disney at the end of April and it will be my first time flying after September 11th and all the new rules. I am a diabetic and since we are TTC, I am currently on insulin. Can someone give me a website, or enlighten me about the rules for flying with meds and needles and all that?

I know that I need them in their original containers, but do I need actual perscriptions for them? To get those, would I just call my Doctor and explain the situation, or would a note from the Doctor be enough? Do I even need to bother with that since I will have labels on my meds?

The labels on the meds are enough. In some states, insulin isn't even a prescription med, although it is kept behind the pharmacy counter.

I have a small little cool pack to carry my insulin in so keeping it cool shouldn't be a problem, but the boxes they come in won't fit in the cooler, only the bottles. Can I just carry the boxes (That will have the prescription labels) in my backpack, or do they need to be actually IN the box?

The bottles are fine. They see diabetic supplies all the time and know what they are. You might want to keep the label part of one of the boxes, just rip it off. I sometimes carry ampules for my nebulizer with just the front of the box.

Anything special that I need to do with insulin needles besides having the original packaging and label? [/quote

You'll need to declare them to the TSA agent and be prepared to hand them for screening if they ask.

Anything else I need to know? I only take the insulin in the evening before dinner and bed, so I won't even need it on the plane, but I do plan to carry it with me, just in case something happens to our luggage, etc..... Anything to make checking in and flying eaiser would be appreciated!

Thanks!

You'll want to test a couple of times during the day. Between the extra walking, heat, and different foods, it's easy to lose track of your sugar. You can keep your supplies at first aid in each park if you'd like. You can also go there to sit in the cool a/c to test in peace and quiet.

Have a great trip!

Anne

DD is type 1 and we have flown twice since she was diagnosed. The first time was not a problem at all. they could see the insulin and needles and did not say a word to us. This last time was days after the " liquid" ban and we had a few more problems. They really did not want to let us thru with the freezer pack but when I explained that it was indeed just an ice pack and it was frozen solid and her insulin needed it they let me thru. Then, on the way back they made me express some of her insulin from both of her pens. Dd was so upset because she thought she had something " bad" with her. I was not happy. Anyway.. that was right after the scare and I have heard its easier now. I was told as long as you had all of the supplies ( not just needles because those are what they are worried about) that I would have no problem and would not need any type of proof.
By all means keep your supplies with you. I would never check them. Also.. take extras of everything. You never know what might happen. test often and carry a quick carb with you at all times. DD dropped to 38 while shopping and I had to literally run to get her a coke. Not a pretty sight.
Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter