Question about editing and saving photos while still in the camera...

lucky978

Mouseketeer
Long title, I know.

Anyways I have a Canon Digital Camera. It's a point and shoot one. After taking a photo, when reviewing it, sometimes I would like to zoom in / crop the photo and resave it as a new photo on the card.

The reason I'm doing this is because NEVER when I try to crop in a program through the PC does the image come out clear. As soon as I hit "crop", it gets blury.

I had a Sony Cybershot and I had not problems doing this. For some reason (even after reading the manual many times), I cannot figure this out.

Now I'm in the process of buying a new camera. I want to make sure this is a feature that comes with my new camera.

Thanks -

lucky978 said:
Long title, I know.

Anyways I have a Canon Digital Camera. It's a point and shoot one. After taking a photo, when reviewing it, sometimes I would like to zoom in / crop the photo and resave it as a new photo on the card.

The reason I'm doing this is because NEVER when I try to crop in a program through the PC does the image come out clear. As soon as I hit "crop", it gets blury.

I had a Sony Cybershot and I had not problems doing this. For some reason (even after reading the manual many times), I cannot figure this out.

Now I'm in the process of buying a new camera. I want to make sure this is a feature that comes with my new camera.

Thanks -

Hi,

What program are you using to crop your pictures? Perhaps there's a setting that needs to be adjusted. There's no reason cropping a photo should cause it to become blurry. Perhaps it's being displayed at, for example, 200% - which would cause it to look bad.

Personally, I would not recommend editing your photos in the camera. My experience has been that very often a photo that looks great in a 2-inch review screen will be totally out of focus and I won't see it until I look at it on the PC monitor. Also, whenever I edit a photo, I always save it with a different name. I never re-save the original. That's so I can bring it back up again in case I want to try a different crop or a different editing technique.

Let's see if we can figure out what's going on when you crop your images through the program on your PC.

Ilene

Thanks Ilene!

By the way - I was just looking at some of your photo's!!! They are amazing!!!

I've been using the software on the different websites I've used to upload the pictures. Kodakgallery.com and Snapfish.com. I think I need to invest in some good photo editing software. What do you recommend?

lucky978 said:
Thanks Ilene!

By the way - I was just looking at some of your photo's!!! They are amazing!!!

I've been using the software on the different websites I've used to upload the pictures. Kodakgallery.com and Snapfish.com. I think I need to invest in some good photo editing software. What do you recommend?

how much are you looking to spend....

I use Paint SHop Pro X, it's awesome, it even has a makeover tool that allows you to remove blemishes or whiten teeth with one click of the mouse..you can also brush on a suntan,,,really awesome..

you can go to Corel.com and download a 30 day free trial...

the trial is fully operational,

it's normally $129

Corel® Paint Shop Pro® X delivers a complete set of photo editing tools to help you create professional-looking photos fast! By combining automatic photo fixes and precision editing controls with a revolutionary Learning Center, Paint Shop Pro is a first of its kind -- an easy-to-use photo editor for anyone who wants to create stunning photos right out of the box. Plus, it includes Corel® Photo Album™ 6 - Standard Edition, the easiest way to organize and share your digital photos.

right now they have it reduced to $99....

I checked Amazon 2 weeks ago because I had a gift certificate and they had it for $99, plus a $40 rebate,,
they now have it listed at $95 with a $30 rebate

Mickey88 has provided some good suggestions. One other thought ... both my Canons came with Photoshop Elements. My two Olympus cameras came with something else (can't remember right now). As you're researching new cameras, be sure to find out if they come with any photo editing tools - I think most do these days. They may not have all the most advanced features, but they would include all the basic ones you'd need to get started with.

In the meantime, I have an account with Snapfish, so I'll take a look at it later and see if I can figure out what's going on.

Edited to add: Are you using the Smart Crop or the Size Crop Tool?

Ilene

Getting really technical here, but bear with me. Because of the shape of pixels in an image, when you crop a jpeg compressed image you are very likely causing your software to recompress the image into jpeg format causing loss of information. Think of it as making a photocopy of something, then clip out a portion and make a copy of the copy. Always comes out looking worse.

Solution?

There's a free, open source utility that constrains your cropping to aspect ratios that don't require recompression. It's called jpeg crop, and it works nicely. The downside is that it won't let you pick *exactly* the portion of the picture you want - but you should be able to get very close.

Here's the link http://graphicssoft.about.com/b/a/041577.htm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter