Question about dogs and camping

Buckalew

<font color=teal>Hammonitup!!!<br><font color=dark
My parents may go in the Fall and camp in their pop-up. They have a small poodle who they would like to take with them. She would stay in the kennel in the daytime and stay with them at night. Is this allowed?

When they make the reservation they need to request a pet loop.

Thanks, Mr. Walker. So the answer is they can have a dog in a pop-up camper?

Last I heard, you're supposed to have dogs only in hard-sided campers. But, when we were there, a family kept their dog in the kennels during the day (paying for 24hr though) and brought their dog back at night. I would think the reason for only allowing hard-sided campers is for heat and barking.
Hope this helps!

Yes, you can have a dog in a popup if it's only at night, while you're there with him/her. During the day, the doggy will have to be in the kennel. :D

And, as Robert said, they will need to request a pet loop when they make the reservation.

They are going to be so Happy!! :)

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Thank you all for these responses. :)

Okay, I know this is an ancient thread, but it's the newest one I could find on the subject. The WDW site clearly says that people in Pop-Ups and tents must keep their dogs in the kennel at all times, even when the owners are at the campsite. It says hard-sided trailers have to put them in the kennel while they are gone, but can have them with them while at their site. So, my question is - Do they enforce this? My Chihuahua always camps with us and she is quiet even when left alone (we always check with the neighbors). While I do plan on kenneling her while we're gone, I want her with us at the site!!!

Also, what are the kennels like? Are they private where no one can throw something into the kennels that could hurt the dog? Is there an attendant? I know I would be responsible for walking her, but when I make a day trip (like Universal Studios, etc) can I leave her in the kennel with a "piddle pad", or is it required that I come walk her a certain number of times?

Thanks in advance!

-Cheyino :D

So, my question is - Do they enforce this?
The short answer is No, they do not enforce it. You may have your pet with you 24 hours a day as long as you stay in the pet areas with your pet and your pet is well behaved. I know many people that camp in tents as well as popups with pets. I am sure Tim will chime in, he has camped many times in his popup with his dog.

it was a long time ago that we put pepper (poodle) in their kennel. all i can say is they were stacked cages with like a crate floor so, the potty went through ( i think). they are located in the back where no one else is allowed unless with a worker. as far as potty breaks i don't know if they take them out. i do not believe so. hope this helps.
i hate to tell you this but, pepper just hated being in there. she dumped her water bowl and never pottied all day in there.. i think the big dogs barking had really scared her and she was never kennelled before. good luck.......

The rules regarding pets in tents and pop ups as written on the Disney web site is confusing at best. Calling CRO for guideance really dosn't help, they dont know!

I suggest anyone with a less than common question about FW call the reception outpost. They are the ones who know the answers.

The FW kennel is for standard house pets only. It will probably be best to leave your tiger at home. The kennel does NOT accept reservations at all, so don't bother trying. Current rates are $6 for a day stay and $9 for overnight. If you check in for the week you will pay the overnight rate. Pets must be kept in the pet area 1600 - 1900 loops (the 300 loop is a "test" pet loop) and on the canal pet walk. You must drive them to the kennel, you can NOT walk them to the kennel.

The kennel is open from 7:30AM to 10:00PM, but if you are out late the staff at the reception outpost can walk over to the kennel to get you dog to allow them to come to the site for the night. FW employees do NOT remove the pets form the cages for any reason. Yo must stop by to walk them yourself. Most of the caes are stacking models, one over the other. Interior dividers can be removed to allow space for larger dogs. In adition to these cages which are indoors, tehy still have a number (I'd say 15 or 20) of outdoor cages/runs. While they have ceiling fans over them it does get quite warm during the summer.

If you are camping in a tent of pop up, the rules restrict you to having you pet on site only when you are there. I have heard many stories as to why they have this rule including to posibility of escape from a canvas enclosure to the possibility of overheating if left alone. I have never found out the real answer. With that said, they do not go around peeking in the windows of pop ups to see if a pet is inside. They only enforce the rule when there is a complaint.

So if you are comfortable that your pet will not escape or bother the neighbors to posibility of FW staff getting mad at you is fairly low. Only you know your pet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter