Question about crowd calendars and crowd levels

OhanaMomma

Mouseketeer
Quick question: using Touring Plans crowd calendar to figure out my park days since they've changed (FP day coming up the 26th). May need to change my dining, but that's really not my biggest issue. My question is which is going to be less crowded, an overall crowd level of 5/10 with Animal Kingdom being a crowd level 1; or an overall crowd level of 3/10 with AK being a level 2 for that day? Currently have my AK dining scheduled for the day with the overall crowd level of 3/10 and AK as a 2. Should I change my AK park day and dining to the AK crowd level 1 day (5/10 overall)? Or does it kind of even out? Am I overthinking or putting too much weight on the crowd calendar in general? Input is appreciated!

Quick question: using Touring Plans crowd calendar to figure out my park days since they've changed (FP day coming up the 26th). May need to change my dining, but that's really not my biggest issue. My question is which is going to be less crowded, an overall crowd level of 5/10 with Animal Kingdom being a crowd level 1; or an overall crowd level of 3/10 with AK being a level 2 for that day? Currently have my AK dining scheduled for the day with the overall crowd level of 3/10 and AK as a 2. Should I change my AK park day and dining to the AK crowd level 1 day (5/10 overall)? Or does it kind of even out? Am I overthinking or putting too much weight on the crowd calendar in general? Input is appreciated!

You are overthinking and putting too much weight on someone’s future prediction. Pick the days that work best for you, have a good plan, and ignore crowd calendars.

You're overthinking this. The differences are negligible and they're all just educated guesses in any event. Do whatever works out best for you with your other plans and read up some other threads on touring strategies. I never pay attention to calendars - generally I avoid parks with EHM unless I'm actually going to take advantage of EMH and them base the rest on park hours, restaurants, etc.

I wouldn't recommend making any plans based on crowd calendar predictions. They are more a general indication of crowds than a real prediction. In general a park with EMH will be more crowded that day. Beyond that it's really hard to accurately predict so just go with what works best for you.

I have used different crowd calendars to pick our park days. For sure I can say it makes NO difference. We find Disney to be busy in every park all day, everyday.
There is zero way to verify that any of the info provided on those calendars is what you will experience on the actual day.

The "crowd" calendars (which is a highly deceptive name, because that's not even what they claim to measure) are a joke. Pretend you never saw them and make your own plans. They're useless.

While I look at touring plans and kenny the pirate crowd calendars, I don't put much weight on them.
I pay more attention to which parks have EMH and decide if I want to be at the park with EMH or go the day after EMH.
This fall, after SWGE opens, the crowd calendars will be totally useless for at least a year.

Keep in mind that the crowd calendars adjust. I remember several years ago picking a week based off the calendar, and as the week got closer the crowd calendar went up a couple points. You have to figure that the weekends, school breaks, holidays, and summers will always always be busy. Plus, they run discounts for foreigners which can increase crowds during weeks we think wouldn't too bad. I think it's more important get your FP's, and to make use of Magic Hours and/or park hopper to really enjoy your visit.

Hey OhanaMamma, I completely understand the crowd calendar obsession. I poured over them for months before my trip in February and have done so for previous trips. I don't know if I would notice the difference between a point or two on the scale, but I could clearly tell the difference between a 3 and 7. I would not alter plans over a point or two. I would advise you to arrive at AK at least 40 minutes before park opening and hit popular attractions that you don't have fast passes for. On two of the days that we went to AK the park opened 20 minutes early. A huge crowd was going to Pandora, most of them headed straight to FOP. We went to NRJ instead and cast members were trying to disperse a line that was forming to ride Navi. We all hung out in the general vicinity and about 15 minutes later they permitted us to queue. The line moved right along and we rode it twice in a row. Check out the times guide or look for the info online. Some attractions and shows open later or close early. This was a factor that drove me crazy and made for a lot of unnecessary zigzagging around the park. Have fun and if it gets too hectic explore the trails around the tree of life or grab a cool drink at Drinkwalla or Flame Tree at a seat down by the water's edge.

Hey OhanaMamma, I completely understand the crowd calendar obsession. I poured over them for months before my trip in February and have done so for previous trips. I don't know if I would notice the difference between a point or two on the scale, but I could clearly tell the difference between a 3 and 7. I would not alter plans over a point or two. I would advise you to arrive at AK at least 40 minutes before park opening and hit popular attractions that you don't have fast passes for. On two of the days that we went to AK the park opened 20 minutes early. A huge crowd was going to Pandora, most of them headed straight to FOP. We went to NRJ instead and cast members were trying to disperse a line that was forming to ride Navi. We all hung out in the general vicinity and about 15 minutes later they permitted us to queue. The line moved right along and we rode it twice in a row. Check out the times guide or look for the info online. Some attractions and shows open later or close early. This was a factor that drove me crazy and made for a lot of unnecessary zigzagging around the park. Have fun and if it gets too hectic explore the trails around the tree of life or grab a cool drink at Drinkwalla or Flame Tree at a seat down by the water's edge.
Thanks for the dose of reality, and I mean it most sincerely! I tend to overplan every aspect and get "sucked in" and obsess over the littlest things! Once I'm there I'm amazingly different, though - I can relax and know I did everything possible to ensure a smooth trip and anything that happens is handled with the understanding that things don't always go as planned. I'm not changing my days and keeping with the plan I currently have. Thanks again!

Ohana, first of all, I disagree with all the cynicism about crowd calendars. I feel that they did help on our last couple of trips, particularly since they are largely based on many or most of the strategies Disboard posters use! I try to look for a consensus among three calendars.

Seems you`ll be there just before the opening of Galaxy`s Edge. That might be a quiet time in the parks -- the calm before the storm. If it is busy, try to hit the headliners in late evening, just before park closing time.

If you do some rope drops, use the contrarian strategy, i.e., go against the flow of the crowds, by avoiding the attractions that are drawing most of the herd. At MK, that means avoiding Fantasyland and Tomorrowland at park opening, and hitting Frontierland, Adventureland, Liberty Square. Have fast passes waiting for you for the headliners.

Last edited:
I was listening to a podcast where the stats guy who created the crowd calendar explained it best. Equate the number to the amount of time you will wait in line for popular rides. A crowd calendar of 7 equates to 70 minutes, so I absolutely think it makes a difference when the disparity between the numbers is a big one.

It's all madness isn't it? Planning a trip to Disney is somehow a planners dream and nightmare all at the same time! ADRs 180 days in advance, FPs at 60 days in advance. Park hours might or might not come out anytime in between those 2 things, and they will most certainly change. Parties and festivals, early mornings or late nights for an extra fee. Crowd calendars from multiple sources with conflicting information. Weather-ugh. Before you know it you're down the rabbit hole.

I wouldn't change things all over what a crowd calendar says. I use touring plans as a guide, but even their numbers change (especially when surprise openings are announced). After years of making plans for our trips the only thing that has been consistent is that when we get there those plans will change and we still have a great trip. We stick to the plan for the most part, but it never fails that there will some variable pop up and we work around it.

Good luck on those FP's!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!