Question about borrowed points

mousestruck

DIS Veteran
My family is booked in an AKV studio 1/2 - 1/9... very excited! Due to a change in holiday plans, we're now considering going one day earlier. Naturally it is nearly impossible to get a DVC room at this point (for 1/1), though my stalking has resulted in a few pop ups - a studio at Poly, Riviera and SSR have also surfaced. I did not pull the trigger because I'm not ready to commit (since our APs are blocked until 1/3) and the reservation would require me borrowing a few points from next year.

Nevertheless, I'm thinking an extra resort day might be nice. My husband and son could golf. My daughter and I could do a spa day. We could go to Disney Springs. Just enjoy an extra day before my son returns to law school and my daughter to college. I could pay cash, but prices are so darn high for 1/1, even with discounts - and just can't get excited about an extra resort day at All Stars. (DVC spoiled, I know!) My first choice would be to add a night at AKV, though I'd stay in any DVC resort that first night. But... if I snag another room and waitlist AKV, would I lose my borrowed points if AKV requires fewer points and waitlist comes through? The reservation would be a mix of current and borrowed points. Or could MS apply borrowed points to this reservation and return current use year points so I could bank them?

I assume in setting this up, you would be first reserving another resort for Jan 1 to 2 and have the waitlist designed to cancel that other resort reservation and switch that to AKV for the Jan 1-2 in the same room size/view and building you have for Jan 2 forward. If that is the case then if the waitlist comes through, the points will be switched to AKV by using any borrowed or banked points first, and thus any left over points should be "current" use year points. If, for any reason that does not occur correctly, then after the switch you can contact MS and have the current use year points in the reservation replaced by borrowed points.

The secondary issue you have is timing. You should set up any waitlist to assure it expires before 30 days from date of arrival, because a switch in rooms thereafter will result in any left-over points going into holding, and thus only usable on a reservation made 60 days or les out, regardless of whether they are borrowed or current use year points.

I assume in setting this up, you would be first reserving another resort for Jan 1 to 2 and have the waitlist designed to cancel that other resort reservation and switch that to AKV for the Jan 1-2 in the same room size/view and building you have for Jan 2 forward. If that is the case then if the waitlist comes through, the points will be switched to AKV by using any borrowed or banked points first, and thus any left over points should be "current" use year points. If, for any reason that does not occur correctly, then after the switch you can contact MS and have the current use year points in the reservation replaced by borrowed points.

The secondary issue you have is timing. You should set up any waitlist to assure it expires before 30 days from date of arrival, because a switch in rooms thereafter will result in any left-over points going into holding, and thus only usable on a reservation made 60 days or les out, regardless of whether they are borrowed or current use year points.

Thank you! This information is very helpful and exactly what I wanted to know. Since you are so knowledgeable, there is one other scenario I’m pondering... There have been a few occasions in which my waitlist appears to be active (according to DVC website), then I call for something else only to find that it actually matched. If I waitlist AKV to start and stalk at the same time, what would happen if something pops up and I book it (because it appears as though my waitlist is unfulfilled) — but there was actually a match without my knowledge. Would this accidental double booking endanger me of losing borrowed points? The safe bet would be to call but these rooms do not last long and I’m afraid I’d lose it if I don’t snatch right away.

No, modifying the one night will not endanger those borrowed points. So, you book something else and waitlist AKV value. Now you stalk, it opens up and you book it, leaving you with some borrowed points in your account since AKV value is less points. Give MS a call, and ask them to combine to make one reservation. If, what you book that is less is not AKV value, but another room, you can get those borrowed points in your original reservation by modifying it your self. Once you hit modify, go in as though you are booking but do not change anything. At the end, when you go to book the room, it will pull the borrowed points in your account and free up current UY points. I have done this several times and it is a huge benefit IMO of us having online options!

No, modifying the one night will not endanger those borrowed points. So, you book something else and waitlist AKV value. Now you stalk, it opens up and you book it, leaving you with some borrowed points in your account since AKV value is less points. Give MS a call, and ask them to combine to make one reservation. If, what you book that is less is not AKV value, but another room, you can get those borrowed points in your original reservation by modifying it your self. Once you hit modify, go in as though you are booking but do not change anything. At the end, when you go to book the room, it will pull the borrowed points in your account and free up current UY points. I have done this several times and it is a huge benefit IMO of us having online options!
Interesting. Thank you for the tip!

Just make sure you won’t be past your banking window! This was my plan for our December trip, but with a feb use year I’ve now hit the point of no return with my current use year points so I would not be able to bank them if the points were to free up.

Just make sure you won’t be past your banking window! This was my plan for our December trip, but with a feb use year I’ve now hit the point of no return with my current use year points so I would not be able to bank them if the points were to free up.
Very good point. Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!