Question about adding a day to purchased DL tickets

Arden01

Mouseketeer
Hi all- I searched around and think I have the answer, but wanted to confirm I am correct. We are going to DL in August as part of a longer West Coast trip. I've been to WDW a few times, but first time to DL. I bought 2 day Disneyland park hopper tickets from Undercover Tourist in January while they still had the 2018 prices. Just want to confirm: I cannot add a day to my tickets until I get to DL and have to do it at the gate, correct? Also, if I add a day - going from a 2 day to 3 day park hopper, I will not be eligible for EMM because I did not do it online already, yes? I'm really kicking myself about this now after realizing how crazy it will be with SWGE opening this summer. (This trip was planned awhile ago and I didn't realize SW would be opening in DL before WDW. Silly me.)

You cannot add the day before you arrive.

You’re essentially trading in your 2 day ticket bought online for a 3 day ticket bought at the ticket booth so I wouldn’t think that would qualify for MM but I don’t have personal trying that.

FYI, I’m not sure how upgrading the old tickets is working- are they crediting people the amount they actually paid or do they credit the current price of the ticket? I think it’s the former...

If you really want MM access look at spending 1 night on-site. You’ll get Extra Magic Hour for arrival and departure day even if you only do 1 night.

You cannot add the day before you arrive.

You’re essentially trading in your 2 day ticket bought online for a 3 day ticket bought at the ticket booth so I wouldn’t think that would qualify for MM but I don’t have personal trying that.

FYI, I’m not sure how upgrading the old tickets is working- are they crediting people the amount they actually paid or do they credit the current price of the ticket? I think it’s the former...

If you really want MM access look at spending 1 night on-site. You’ll get Extra Magic Hour for arrival and departure day even if you only do 1 night.
Thanks. I’m pretty sure you are correct and the only way I could ensure MM is to stay one night on site.

It's been a couple of years since we did it, but back then they credited the price you paid. That would mean losing any savings.

It's been a couple of years since we did it, but back then they credited the price you paid. That would mean losing any savings.

I think they have since changed it to the way Disney world has done it and you keep the savings.

Of course, now Wdw is slowly changing the way they do it...

I think it depends on where you bought the tickets. I’ve upgraded tickets purchased through Last Minute Travel two times and both times they credited the current price of the tickets, not the price I paid.

The 'official' policy is to credit only the price you actually paid against the price of the ticket you're 'trading up' for. But I know I've had prices 'bridged' in the past and been charged only the difference between the gate prices. It's nice when it happens, but it's not 'the rule'.

Just confirming with everyone, I can't upgrade through Undercover Tourist and I have to wait until I get to DL to upgrade at gate? And I won't get MM if I do that? I'm pretty sure that's the case.

FWIW, I'm only going to be in Anaheim for 3 nights and will do do full days in parks. This is part of a two week CA trip and I'll be coming from Santa Barbara. I was only planning on going to DTD on arrival day and hit the parks early the next morning.I toyed with idea of upgrading to 3 day park hoppers to get the MM for the one morning and to have an extra evening due to SWGE. However, if it can't happen, it's okay. I am definitely buy MaxPass for both park days.

Just confirming with everyone, I can't upgrade through Undercover Tourist and I have to wait until I get to DL to upgrade at gate? And I won't get MM if I do that? I'm pretty sure that's the case.

You cannot upgrade through UT, it has to be at the gate. It will be up to the ticket agent whether or not you get the MM or the bridged price. Be extra nice, because it seems to be at their discretion.

Depending on your time of arrival and what you plan on doing in DTD (TS meal? shopping only?) and the park hours that day (August? I'd expect midnight closing for DL...), you could probably go into the parks on your arrival day. DTD can easily be seen in an hour or two -- it is not a large area. It is comprised of the walk from the DLH to the front gates of the parks -- 5-10 minutes at an easy pace. It is a fun area, but not someplace that would take up a day or even half a day. Maybe you could knock out a nighttime show (e.g. F! or WOC) on your arrival day?
By the way, when in August? Early to mid August will have DLR on the peak schedule. But traditionally, DLR switches back to the non-peak schedule by sometime around the third to last week of the month. With SWGE opening this summer, no one knows if this will still be the case. Also, HM will go down for the Halloween overlay sometime around the third week of the month.

Depending on your time of arrival and what you plan on doing in DTD (TS meal? shopping only?) and the park hours that day (August? I'd expect midnight closing for DL...), you could probably go into the parks on your arrival day. DTD can easily be seen in an hour or two -- it is not a large area. It is comprised of the walk from the DLH to the front gates of the parks -- 5-10 minutes at an easy pace. It is a fun area, but not someplace that would take up a day or even half a day. Maybe you could knock out a nighttime show (e.g. F! or WOC) on your arrival day?
By the way, when in August? Early to mid August will have DLR on the peak schedule. But traditionally, DLR switches back to the non-peak schedule by sometime around the third to last week of the month. With SWGE opening this summer, no one knows if this will still be the case. Also, HM will go down for the Halloween overlay sometime around the third week of the month.
Thanks for the reply! I'll be in DL Tues., Aug 6-9. Park days will be on Wednesday and Thursday. At this point, I’m not sure if worth it for me to add a day since I my tickets are already purchased through Undercover Tourist and I may not get a "bridge" price from the ticket booth or a a MM morning. However, I will check prices to see what the ticket price difference will be. So... I may have to brave the insane crowds I guess. We are driving from Santa Barbara to Anaheim on arrival day (Tuesday). I was planning on taking my time from Santa Barbara and not arriving in Anaheim until around 3 or 4, perhaps stopping in Malibu on the way down. We were only going to DTD to look around and for a TS meal. I wish now I had bought the 3 day park hoppers when I had the chance but I really didn’t think through the SWGE situation.

Last edited:
... We were only going to DTD to look around and for a TS meal. I wish now I had bought the 3 day park hoppers when I had the chance but I really didn’t think through the SWGE situation.
Again, depending on what time you arrive and when you plan your meal, if dining later at Catal or Jazz Kitchen, you can put a request on your reservation for a table on the second level with a view of the fireworks. Check the schedule when you make your reservation to see what time fireworks are showing (it's usually around 9:30 pm). We enjoy having dinner with a view of the fireworks from the JK balcony and from the second floor of Catal (by the large windows across from Ballast Point Brewery).

Again, depending on what time you arrive and when you plan your meal, if dining later at Catal or Jazz Kitchen, you can put a request on your reservation for a table on the second level with a view of the fireworks. Check the schedule when you make your reservation to see what time fireworks are showing (it's usually around 9:30 pm). We enjoy having dinner with a view of the fireworks from the JK balcony and from the second floor of Catal (by the large windows across from Ballast Point Brewery).
Thank you! Wonderful idea!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!