• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question about Adapters

BandR

Earning My Ears
My fiance and I are taking the Taste of Tuscany tour on 9/17 for our honeymoon and while reading some of the threads I see that we should bring universal adapters and plugs. My fiance has gone to Radio Shack and they said they need to know what kind as there are different types. If anyone can help with what kind we need it would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!! :)

I'm only going to be a little help. My husband searched the internet and bought a group of adapters. I think it was around $50 about 3 years ago and it has all the international adapters you could ever need. It will only take you about an hour on the internet to find some articles about what you need and what is good and then a few more minutes to purchase them. Good luck. have a great honeymoon

There are 2 basic types of adapters: converters and transformers. The former is for low-voltage stuff (cellphones, toothbrushes, etc.) while the latter is used for high-voltage stuff (blow dryers, curling irons, etc.). Your best bet is to get a combination device (often called Hi-Lo converters) that can handle both types of appliances. Be aware that most high-voltage transformers can only be used for 2 hours at a stretch before they overheat.

These devices will also come with various snap on plugs to deal with the different types of wall sockets. Italy (which uses a 220volt system) uses the standard European plug: two round pins. Just make sure you get this kind of plug adapter with whatever kit you use.

Hope this helps...

Hopefully someone will help here because I'm not 100% sure but if you have newer dual voltage (110/220) appliances you will only need an adapter. It is a two rounded prong contraption that plugs into the wall outlet first then you plug you appliance (like hairdryer, etc.) into the adapter.
If it is an older appliance you will need a converter and an adapter.
Radio Shack sells a Foreign Adapter Plug for Continental Europe. Target sells an adapter and converter in one kit.
The key is to get one for Europe.

Hopefully someone will help here because I'm not 100% sure but if you have newer dual voltage (110/220) appliances you will only need an adapter. It is a two rounded prong contraption that plugs into the wall outlet first then you plug you appliance (like hairdryer, etc.) into the adapter.
If it is an older appliance you will need a converter and an adapter.
That is true about the dual voltage appliances. However, you have to be SURE to switch the appliance to 220, or you will instantly FRY the appliance when you use it the first time.

Sayhello

A couple of general guidelines for foreign power requirements. The USA runs at 120Volts/60hz (hertz or cycles). The rest of the world is generally at 240Volts/50 hz.

When you travel you have to solve two things, 1) the physical plug. Getting the device adapted into the right plug to go into the wall and 2) matching the power needs of the device you are plugging in to whats coming out of the wall.

Never, ever plug in a device like a hair dryer, curling iron, etc into a wall socket if the voltage and hertz don't match the device, EVEN if you can get it to physically plug in! You'll fry it if you try!

Now there are some devices like laptop power supplies, some cell phone adapters, ipod adapters, etc that will handle both 120 and 240. To check look on the power adapter on your device, it will say right on it if it can support both 120v/60hz and 240v/50hz. If it does, then all you need to do is get the adapter and plug it in.

If your device does NOT support 240V/50hz then you need an adapter AND a transformer. The transformer changes the voltage and hertz to match the USA standard. A slight complication here though is you need to know how many watts your device uses. Some high powered devices (200-1500 watts) need a special transformer. Low power device (less than 50 watts) can use a small transformer thats often included in the universal adapter kit. Some transformers can handle both Hi and Low with a switch on it.

Helpful link:
To see a list of all the country plugs and sockets, find out where you are travelling and then check here:
http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm

Most places will sell these 'universal' adapters that support the plug adapters for almost all countries.

Note the for dial up telephone you have the same issue, many different types of adapters. Most people are using wireless these days but if you needed to use computer dial up to a laptop you will need a phone plug adapter. You can find those here:
http://www.kropla.com/phones2.htm

Hope that helps!:yay:

thank you for posting that :) ( above me )

we just got back from Flavors of France, and we blew out our straightener.
we bought the correct adapter, but it didn't fit, so we borrowed one from the hotel. As soon as we plugged it in it blew up

did anyone have any problems with charging phones / cameras?
we were afraid to even try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter