• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

question about accessibility in OKW GV

jnrrt

Disney Fan
I talked to 8 (!) different CM's trying to get a definite answer to this, and then I thought, wait, someone on this board will surely know! And it doesn't seem like that hard of a question either, so who knows why no one knew?

My whole family is going to WDW in Sept. and we got a GV at OKW which I'm really psyched about. My dad will very likely be entirely wheelchair-bound by then. We're not completely certain since his illness does not progress very predictibly, but looking at him now, I think stairs will certainly not be an option by the fall.

Is the upstairs of a GV at OKW accessible? I do not think it is, and told my parents that they would have the master suite, but since we have three kids including a new baby, as does my brother's family, they insist that they want to try to take the smaller room upstairs as we will need the space. We're just glad they're with us, and will make it work however it is.

I know that at SSR the GV's are accessible to the top floor by leaving, using the elevator for the building, and then reentering on the 2nd floor. But I do not think that OKW GV's have that door on the second floor. I do know that they have 2 HA GV's in a building that has an elevator.

So that was a really long way of asking if the second floor of an OKW GV is accessible. Thanks for any help you can give me!

I would like to know this too. I think there is a GV at BWV that is all on one floor.

We are looking into a GV at OKW next year, if we can convince the rest of our extended family to come with us. When my DH asked last week when we were at OKW, he was told that only the first floor was wheelchair accessible.
He was also told to make our needs for one of the wheelchair accessible GV known when we made the reservation so they could block us for one of those (and not find out when we get there that we are booked in one that "starts" on the second floor of the building).
So, I guess, in a roundabout way, I am saying that I don't really know either, but it sounds like only the first floor is accessible.

Hopefully someone who has used one there can answer.

SueM in MN said:
We are looking into a GV at OKW next year, if we can convince the rest of our extended family to come with us. When my DH asked last week when we were at OKW, he was told that only the first floor was wheelchair accessible.
He was also told to make our needs for one of the wheelchair accessible GV known when we made the reservation so they could block us for one of those (and not find out when we get there that we are booked in one that "starts" on the second floor of the building).
So, I guess, in a roundabout way, I am saying that I don't really know either, but it sounds like only the first floor is accessible.

Hopefully someone who has used one there can answer.

Yes, I do think (not sure, though) that the GV at BWV's is on one floor. However, we only have enough points for the one at OKW. And as I said, I heard that the GV's at SSR are all accessible if you're willing to leave the villa, take the elevator to the next floor and reenter the villa - but again, the points issue.

We did get one blocked off for us. Just interesting is you're looking, but apparently there is one farther back in the complex on the first floor. There are also two at the front, both on the second floor, but in the buildings that have elevators, so also accessible. We just didn't know if that meant that the 2nd floor of the villa (3rd floor of the building) was also accessible in those villas with an elevator. You should have heard the whole 2nd floor of the villa, 3rd floor of the building conversation - it was like "who's on first?", and very confusing, and hence, why I'm posting here. :flower:

jnrrt said:
Yes, I do think (not sure, though) that the GV at BWV's is on one floor.

Not all of the GV's at BW are one story.
We have stayed in the two story GV at BWV. It does NOT have a separate entrance on the 2nd floor (of the GV)

We also stayed in a GV at OKW. The entrance was on the second floor of the building. (the building did not have an elevator) It did not have a separate entrance on the second story of the GV (like SSR does).

HTH- sorry it is so confusing to explain (second story of building vs. second story of the GV unit!)

I can answer your question.....I have stayed in a GV at OKW with wheelchair accessibility. Only the 1st floor is accessible. The master bedroom has a roll-in-shower and larger door ways. You will love it. It has so much room. Let me know if I can answer any other questions. :wave:

Roo'sMom said:
Not all of the GV's at BW are one story.
We have stayed in the two story GV at BWV. It does NOT have a separate entrance on the 2nd floor (of the GV)

We also stayed in a GV at OKW. The entrance was on the second floor of the building. (the building did not have an elevator) It did not have a separate entrance on the second story of the GV (like SSR does).

HTH- sorry it is so confusing to explain (second story of building vs. second story of the GV unit!)
I guess I made it more confusing too, when I said that we needed one that starts on the first floor. We could have one that starts on the second floor of a building with an elevator.
From what I have heard:
- most of the OKW GV have their entrance on the second floor. The older buildings (those with numbers less than 60) don't have elevators, so the GV that are entered on the second floor in those buildings are not accessible at all.
- I am not sure how many GV have their entrance on the first floor. I have heard only one, and I have also heard there were 2. (I have also heard that none were, but that's obviously not correct since people have posted they stayed in one).
- there are 2 GV in the newest OKW buildings (the numbers in the 60s). All 3 floors of the building are accessible, but since the GVs only have one entrance, the second floor of the GV is not accessible.

I think WDW has been learning about GV as they go along. I know I've read a posting from someone who stayed in a one floor BWV GV, but also people have stayed in 2 story ones there. I think the second door at SSR was an attempt to meet complaints that only the first floor was accessible (after all, there are groups with more than one person using a wheelchair who might need access to the seecond floor of the unit).

Thanks for all the replies!

Thanks, Tine731 - it's nice to have a definitive answer! That's what I thought, and now we'll plan accordingly.

I think we'll ask for one of the ones in an elevator building so we can be on the second floor - I know my parents would love a balcony.

I just think it's great to have a place to post these questions - thanks!

jnrrt said:
Thanks for all the replies!

Thanks, Tine731 - it's nice to have a definitive answer! That's what I thought, and now we'll plan accordingly.

I think we'll ask for one of the ones in an elevator building so we can be on the second floor - I know my parents would love a balcony.

I just think it's great to have a place to post these questions - thanks!
i just wanted to mention that even the first floor OKW units have a balcony. The only difference between the first floor balcony and the higher floor ones is that the second and third floor ones are higher off the ground.
The balconies are one of the things we enjoy the most about OKW.

Thanks, Sue. We've never stayed there. I just assumed that it was a porch and might have less of a view. So I'm glad to be wrong! My mom loves to sit outside, and eat outside, and read outside (you get the picture), so I knew the balcony would be big with her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter