Question about 2 bedrooom villas

sonofanarchy

DIS Veteran
In particular, lockoffs. If you are able to get a bedroom lockoff, how are the 1 bedroom and studio separated? Obviously there is a door there I'm assuming, but can it be locked on both sides? I ask because the kids would obviously be in the studio, and I'd be a bit worried about

A.Them locking the door from the their side so we couldn't get in.
B.Walking out the door into the hallway from their room.

If you don't get a lockoff, what is the configuration like of a 2 bedroom?

No one would book a studio if a stranger in the connecting 1BR could walk in at any time, so both sides should have their own locking door.

In a dedicated 2BR, I believe the door also locks from the bedroom (for privacy in the bedroom). But the only hallway door is from the living room.

In OKW, dedicated 2BR do not have a balcony from the 2nd bedroom...but studios do have a balcony.

So a dedicated is different than a lockoff?

Sorry. Not familiar with the 2 bedrooms at all.

Yes. A lock off 2 bedroom is really just a studio and a 1 bedroom with the connecting door unlocked. Both have access in/out of the unit but the keys will work in either door.

A dedicated 2 bedroom is its own rooms so only one door in and out of the unit. The 2nd bedroom, in most cases, has two beds vs. 1 bed and the pull out sofa like the lock off. And, in the dedicated, there is no kitchenette.

If have never been in a dedicated--first time coming in a few weeks, so I am not sure if there is an actual door or not..

Yes. A lock off 2 bedroom is really just a studio and a 1 bedroom with the connecting door unlocked. Both have access in/out of the unit but the keys will work in either door.

A dedicated 2 bedroom is its own rooms so only one door in and out of the unit. The 2nd bedroom, in most cases, has two beds vs. 1 bed and the pull out sofa like the lock off. And, in the dedicated, there is no kitchenette.

If have never been in a dedicated--first time coming in a few weeks, so I am not sure if there is an actual door or not..

So with the lock offs, is it possible for the kids to lock themselves in the "studio", or will we have a key to unlock the door? Kind of confusing especially with the new carded keys for entry.

Thank you for your replies too!:)

The connecting doors always look like manual turning deadbolts when I've been in a 1BR or studio, they were never key cards like the hallways.
I think Maintainance would be the only people to "force" entry (just like instances of locked bathrooms)

If you get stuck with a lock off, and the kids lock the door, you can enter the studio side from the hall/out side. Also the kids could leave the unit from the 'studio' door to the hall. I say stuck, because with small kids you should try for a dedicated 2BR.

So with the lock offs, is it possible for the kids to lock themselves in the "studio", or will we have a key to unlock the door? Kind of confusing especially with the new carded keys for entry.

Thank you for your replies too!:)

As long as the privacy lock isn't on the hallway door, you could get in that way if the kids lock the connecting door. Otherwise, you'd have to get Maintenance to unlock the connecting door. However, you won't be provided with the keys to the connecting door.

If all you can get is a lock off, I would duct tape the locking mechanism in the door so the bolt cannot come out of the door. OKW only has one balcony in a dedicated two bedroom, but it's bigger than all other DVC balconies. A fu.ll size table and four chairs....easily 8 x 8 in size. The second bedroom is huge, and the area where the door would've been to the outside is a huge walk in closet, along with another full size closet where the kitchenette would've been. We :love: them.

In the 2BR lock-off, the studio has an internal door that when closed cannot be opened from the 1BR side, and the 1BR has a like door in the same place, leaving basically a very thin doorway between the two doors. It is the same internal door arrangement that you find at most hotels that have connecting rooms. If the door for the kids' room (studio) gets closed, your only entry becomes the front door to the studio -- the lock-off has two front doors one to the studio and one to the 1BR and the keys you get when you have a 2BR open both. Ways to keep an internal door open and prevent accidental closure include putting a chair by the door or bringing a little masking tape to put over the slot where the door latch would close into.

If you get stuck with a lock off, and the kids lock the door, you can enter the studio side from the hall/out side. Also the kids could leave the unit from the 'studio' door to the hall. I say stuck, because with small kids you should try for a dedicated 2BR.

Your KTTW cards open both doors from the hallway, for the studio portion or the 1 BR portion.

If all you can get is a lock off, I would duct tape the locking mechanism in the door so the bolt cannot come out of the door. OKW only has one balcony in a dedicated two bedroom, but it's bigger than all other DVC balconies. A fu.ll size table and four chairs....easily 8 x 8 in size. The second bedroom is huge, and the area where the door would've been to the outside is a huge walk in closet, along with another full size closet where the kitchenette would've been. We :love: them.

Please do not use duck tape. That stuff is really sticky and can damage the finish.

I'd say if you are worried about the kids being in a lockoff portion, don't get a lock off. Stay at a resort that has dedicated villas. At most of the resorts (BCV has some that are different) the 2nd bedroom in a dedicated will have two queen beds instead of a queen bed and pullout couch. And there will not be a kitchenette in the 2nd bedroom like there is in a studio.

How old are these children? Sometimes all that you can get is a lock off but we've kept the doors open with a wedge ( a towel etc) between so they couldn't close, they are heavy and sometimes just shut on their own!

But if the kids are apt to lock the side and front door, without your consent, that's another issue! Without the front privacy lock, you can always get in with your key cards!

In particular, lockoffs. If you are able to get a bedroom lockoff, how are the 1 bedroom and studio separated? Obviously there is a door there I'm assuming, but can it be locked on both sides? I ask because the kids would obviously be in the studio, and I'd be a bit worried about

A.Them locking the door from the their side so we couldn't get in.
B.Walking out the door into the hallway from their room.

If you don't get a lockoff, what is the configuration like of a 2 bedroom?

okay where are you staying? BWV is the only DVC resort at WDW that does not have 2-bedroom. Only studios and 1-bedrooms.
all the others have a 2-bedroom dedicated.

how old are your kids? - if you have worries call MS and ask them which type of 2-bedroom you have. If you have a lock off - see if they can change it for you.

When we have a 2BR lockoff and it is just family, we just prop open the studio door with a chair and keep it open the whole time. I like the lock off rooms because the studio has extra coffee and coffee maker and paper plates we can use to avoid washing dishes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter