QS? Is it good enough for an entire trip?

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by Kevlar10, Nov 1, 2018.

1. ttintagel

ttintagel DIS Veteran

Some menu items have changed since my last trip, but here are my favorite vegetarian Quick Service meals.

Magic Kingdom

Columbia Harbour House
    Lighthouse sandwich (vegetarian chili is a close second)

Cosmic Ray's
    Greek Salad (great dressing, lots of feta)

Pecos Bill's
    I really liked their veggie burger, but the veggie nachos they've added to the menu sound even better.

Pinocchio Village Haus
    Margherita Flatbread (the basil tasted really fresh!)

EPCOT

Sunshine Seasons
    Breakfast platter, hold the meat. It's still a generous amount of food!

Whatever soy protein option they have at the Asian noodle station. It's been a little bit different each time, but always delicious.

Electric Umbrella
    Cheese flatbread. I think they used to have a Caprese flatbread? Or maybe my memory is playing tricks on me. Either way, I remember the crust was just right.

Tangierine Café
    Vegetable platter (couscous, tabouleh, hummus, bread). Baklava!

Hollywood Studios

Rosie's All-American
    Best veggie burger on property.

Resorts

Pop Century Food Court
    POP! Waffle with strawberry sauce

Port Orleans French Quarter
    Breakfast beignets

I've only had one quick-service meal at Animal Kingdom, and it looks like it's not there anymore.

Looking over menus, there are so many new quick-service vegetarian dishes I'd love to try. The Friar’s Nook has brats&tots, Casey's Corner has a veggie dog now, the poutine shop in Disney Springs has a meatless option… it's great!

Nancyg56 likes this.
  2. GPC0321

GPC0321 DIS Veteran

We did the QSDP back in 2016 and weren't thrilled. It wasn't because of the food, it was because the plan just didn't really fit our eating style. There was too much effort spent keeping track of credits and trying to get our money's worth. I much prefer just paying OOP and eating whatever and whenever. And that could be all QS with no problem. I've had plenty of delicious QS at WDW. I've enjoyed the TS meals I've had for sure, but they aren't mandatory for me.

firefly_ris likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Ds4angels

Ds4angels DIS Veteran

We do mostly quick service with one or 2 TS meals thrown in. There are plenty of choices for QS beside burgers and nuggets. We don't like to be tied down to a certain time to eat. Plus the QS area isn't too loud if you eat at off times

bluezy and firefly_ris like this.
  5. recmouse

recmouse DIS Veteran

Do you have to do the dining plan? Is it included with your package? If not, and you're considering doing all QS - then just pay OOP. As others have stated there are plenty of great QS options. We don't use the dining plan (we use other discounts: DVC, AP or TIW). We like to have a TS at times because it 'forces' us to sit down and relax for a while! :)

6. recmouse

recmouse DIS Veteran

Sick but true! :) Love it!

Amunet likes this.
  7. nkereina

nkereina Last chance to lose your keys.

Aside from some lack of variety, the whole QS process can get old too if that's all you're eating 2-3 times a day for several days. What I mean is the process of standing in line, waiting for your food, carrying trays and finding a table, collecting everything you need like toppings, napkins, etc, cleaning up after yourself. Eating at "normal" meal times poses challenges too, with quick service locations being busy.

That said, there are some notable quick service locations around. On our trip two weeks ago, we ate at the Polite Pig and Chicken Guy at Disney Springs. We enjoyed both, and find them to be good QS additions to the old faithful Wolfgang Puck Express. We also love Cantina de San Angel, but find that one to be consistently busy. Epcot has a great variety of QS around though as well. DHS and MK is a little harder for us, but Columbia Harbor House or Pecos Bill's are good options. We ate at Baseline Tap Room at DHS, which I don't think is QS for the dining plan, but does make for a good quick stop for a snack.

8. JennyDrake

JennyDrake Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

For the last 3 years, 3 trips/year my BFF and I have only done CS. WDW has priced us out of TS and face it, the quality just isn't that great for what you must pay for TS.....

Ds4angels and firefly_ris like this.
  9. fla4fun

fla4fun DIS Veteran

Food wise, there are enough options to make dining QS only a great option. It really boils down to your dining preferences. If you prefer a more leisurely dining experience then you may prefer more TS. If you want to maximize your park ride time, QS is a more efficient option. I tend to go QS only on solo trips and incorporate one or two TS if I am traveling with others.

10. MamaJessie

MamaJessie DIS Veteran

We are doing QSDP next trip and have done it before. We love it. There are TONS of options. Some of our favorite meals at Disney are quick service meals in Disney Springs and at resorts.

11. jsmla

jsmla DIS Veteran

I've done loads of trips where I either ate QS only or did a combo of QS and self-catering. I do sometimes try the TS but I usually find it okay at best and very overpriced. As a solo I like not being tied to an ADR. I'm trying to decide on getting the QSDP for my January trip and, for me anyway, there's plenty of variety-Mexican, BBQ, Moroccan, seafood, red meat and veggie. This is what I've got so far, no burgers, no nuggets, one "pizza".

Sunday
    Breakfast
    Offsite

Lunch @ Captain Cooks
    Thai Coconut Meatballs
    Kona Longboard beer
    Total $19.25

Dinner @ Cantina de San Angel or Katsura Grill (Epcot)
    Cantina
    Pollo Cascabel
    Coconut Passion Margarita
    Total $27.70

or

Katsura Grill
    Shrimp Udon
    Beer
    Total $20.00

Monday
    Breakfast

Lunch
    Flametree BBQ
    Combo platter $19.00
    Safari Amber $9.75
    Total $28.75

Dinner
    Epcot International Festival of the Arts
    4 SC-$28

Tuesday
    Breakfast

Lunch
    Be Our Guest
    Braised Pork $17.00
    Kronenbourg 1664 $9.00
    Total $26.00

Dinner
    Contempo Cafe
    Veggie flatbread $11.50
    Craft beer $9.00
    Total $20.50

Wednesday
    Breakfast/Lunch
    Early Morning Magic (OOP)

Snack
    International Festival of the Arts
    2 SC $15.00

Dinner
    Tangierine Cafe
    Vegetable Platter $13.00
    Beer $8.00
    Total $21.00

Thursday
    Brunch
    Polite Pig
    Cedar Plank Salmon $22.00
    Cask & Larder Red Amber Ale $9.00
    Total $31.00

Dinner
    Satu'li Canteen
    Combination Bowl $17.00
    Mo'ara High Country Ale $10.25

Total $27.25

Friday
    Breakfast
    Be Our Guest
    Gaston's Feast $28.00
    Mimosa $10.00
    Total $38.00

Lunch

Dinner

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 9:40 AM
    JennyDrake likes this.
  12. Jennasis

Jennasis DIS life goes on

Everyone is different, so only you know what you will enjoy. That said we have done QS only trips and were very pleased with all of our dining choices. Disney Springs has fantastic options.

We haven't eaten a nugget or burger at Disney in many many years.

JennyDrake likes this.
  13. MamaJessie

MamaJessie DIS Veteran

I get what you are saying - but the chicken at Chicken Guy and DLuxe burgers are definitely worth a try.

14. Jennasis

Jennasis DIS life goes on

Ooh I stand corrected! We DID eat at DLuxe Burger in 2016 and it was delicious! It was a BBQ burger and it was a delight.

15. JAMIESMITH

JAMIESMITH DIS Veteran

I could do it if it were the only way to afford a Disney trip, but I would miss some of my TS favorites. In fact, some of those places can cost about the same as the more expensive QS options.

If I we're staying near Disney Springs, that would open up a lot of good options like Earl of Sandwich and Wolfgang Puck Express. Most of the parks ha e good QS options. HS is probably the most lacking. We have not had good luck at the resorts QS

16. Beachmom0317

Beachmom0317 Mouseketeer

We’re only doing QS. Our kids are 2 and 4 so I like flexibility!

17. sharonabe

sharonabe DIS Veteran

To be fair, the ability to do mobile ordering makes even this a game changer. No more waiting in lines. No more carrying trays and looking for a table. You can order, hit "here now" then get what you need and a table while one person goes to pick up the tray of food. You're in and out in less time than you sometimes have to wait to be seated at a TS. But, we don't go to Disney for the food, we go for the parks and want all the time we can get for attractions.

18. GeorgiaHoo

GeorgiaHoo DIS Veteran

If you could get the same QS quality at the parks that you get at the resorts/Disney Springs then I'd be more open to a QS only trip.

19. goodeats

goodeats DIS Veteran

I was pretty pleased with the QS quality last trip, I don't know that I would want to eat it 100% of the time, but 2 meals a day? Sure. The Satulli Canteen beef/hearty salad bowl was one of the best things I ate all week!

I will say we ate at WCC one morning for breakfast, and I swear it was the exact same food that you get at Roaring Forks next door.

20. maxiesmom

maxiesmom The Mean Squinty Eye Works

I can't do quick service for a whole trip. At some point I need a full meal, and quick service doesn't do it for me.

21. North of Mouse

North of Mouse DIS Veteran

For us, if need be, we could easily have only QS. We like BOG, Flame Tree, Sunshine Seasons just to name a few. We only eat one big meal a day and snack around the other two while on vacation. We are not big eaters and this gives us a break and something different from our normally mostly healthy eating. Bus, in all actuality, we do usually make 3-4 TS ressies for our 10day trips.