Purchasing CCV vs. Poly

PA JetsMets Fans

Earning My Ears
I will be purchasing direct in the next few weeks (plan to go to WDW early next year so a resale would be difficult in that timeframe and we want the benefits) and my wife and I keep going back and forth on buying in Poly or CCV. We have four young kids so with the crib we can fit in a Poly studio for at least a two years and like it there as there appears to be more for the kids to do and easy access to the parks with the monorail. CCV has more flexibility with room types but I have heard complaints about the decor and the MFs seem high. We're reaching the paralysis by analysis point so any thoughts from people who have stayed at either or any other DVC owners would really help. Thanks!

Do you have a WDW resort that you like to stay at more than others? If so is it either of those resorts?

My first advice is don't get caught up in buying direct because of one trip. It's very possible that you could pay cash for that trip, buy resale for the majority and a small add on direct for the benefits and at worst it'll cost the same as buying direct. And in all likelihood you'd still save money. And depending on when you are thinking of traveling it isn't a complete given that you couldn't put a resale offer in now, get it all closed and find some place to stay as the first part of the year does not have the same booking difficulties as the last few months of the year.

For comparison at PVB you'll be in studios for a home resort. CCV offers 2BR's and as your kids get older you may find it's very advantageous to have that and you'll soon have to at least have 2 studios at PVB or a 2BR elsewhere. CCV MF's are higher but point requirements are lower than PVB so it isn't quite as bad and could possible mean a smaller up front purchase of points. For other resorts AKV or SSR standard view 2BR's are going to require fewer points than 2 PVB studios and provide enough beds for the family as well as the amenities of a kitchen and laundry in the room. Resale buy in much less for either and dues less than CCV and more villa size options than PVB.

Don't jump into something just for one trip. You can use cash for next year, buy resale and still come out ahead. Poly is great, but with 4 kids you will need more room. I have 4 kids, they grow up fast. I can't imagine staying in less than a 2 bedroom. Poly does have connecting studios, but they aren't guaranteed. Unless you want to split the family up, it's just not practical. Take your time and look at the other resorts.

Thanks. This is helpful. We usually stay at Value resorts but once we had the fourth kid and needed two rooms it just seemed foolish to spend that money on value resorts rather than DVC. I honestly think the best resort for us might be AK because the two bedrooms are among the most affordable but my wife doesn't like that the contract would be 10 fewer years than CCV or Poly which is why we were looking at those. Thoughts? Thanks again.

Thanks. This is helpful. We usually stay at Value resorts but once we had the fourth kid and needed two rooms it just seemed foolish to spend that money on value resorts rather than DVC. I honestly think the best resort for us might be AK because the two bedrooms are among the most affordable but my wife doesn't like that the contract would be 10 fewer years than CCV or Poly which is why we were looking at those. Thoughts? Thanks again.

The 10yrs difference is not a big deal imo. The cost savings more than make up for it (if you go resale). The 2bds are humongous, btw, at AKL kidani. Absolutely huge. Totally doable for a family of 6.

Last edited:
There is also a non-zero chance most resort dues are about to go up. It's related to property value assessment in the county. While Disney is appealing current assessment, odds are very strong they are facing more aggressive valuation in the coming future. A big chunk of dues are eaten by property taxes.

As far as the 10 years goes, 10 years down the line you have no real idea if you're going to be taking as many vacations in the same seasons, let alone 40. I'm not saying not to think of the longer term, but at the same time, don't fixate on the furthest point.

I think Poly would be a mistake with a family of 6. Even now, sure, you could pile into a Poly studio, but you'd have nowhere to put any of your STUFF or to move! And buying Poly when it will only work in the short term while also talking about the 10 years at the end of the contract seems hasty!

AKV expires 40 years from now - aka, if you have a baby that baby will be 40 years old vs 51 for CCV. And who knows what WDW will be like or you may have even sold long before either of those dates. The lower price for a slightly shorter length is decent compensation and in an even larger way since paying more up front comes with an even great cost of funds down the line.

No, I don't think that's a factor yet. The one's where it gets to be a factor is with resorts that end in 2042 and are still selling high but not a 2057 vs a 2066 or 2068.

I wouldn't use "complaints about the décor" to base a purchase on. One man's complaint is another's dream. If you're going to buy there I'd really have stayed there first. We bought in, but we've been staying in the Poly and Contemporary our whole life, so we knew what we wanted.

You seem to have nailed some of the Poly perks... more for the kids and easy access to the parks, but to us it goes beyond that. It's just our place. It's comfortable. It's an oasis amid the chaos of Disney World, and it's got that access to both Epcot and the Magic Kingdom. It has the beaches, Ohana, Luau, Trader Sams, walking distance to the amenities at the Grand... Best themed pool and slide, new kid play area... and not cheap, it's got several slides, bridges, hidden tunnels, etc. We haven't stayed at the WL, but we've been over that way lots... Great theming that comes close to the Poly, but a smidge less, since the tropical feel is more what we want in a vacation than the wilderness feel. You can't beat the room choices tho... CCV has the best when it comes to rooms... They fixed everything I found unattractive about BRV. You're in the main building with many room options to pick from, from Studio all the way up to Cabin. We would buy here if it wasn't for the darn access. When we stay Deluxe, we want to be in the Contemporary, Poly, or Grand. The monorail... Although it's not much faster than a bus, it's part of the experience. And the GF/Poly boats make that loop fast. The WL boats build huge lines and take 20 min each way. We've waited over an hour to get onto a boat home from things like the BYBBQ and HDDR.

Then you mentioned the AK... You really have to try these out and not be booking them from the promotional material. The AK sells really well in photos since they can snap images during that moment when the savannah is filled with animals... The pools here are a long walk, and you are far, far, far from everything else in WDW. You are busing or driving everywhere when you stay at the AK. Great unique dining options, but they're not as repeatable for us as Ohana and Chef Mickeys. You've really got to experience just how far the AK is from everything. Even driving there is a pain and takes a while to get into their underground parking.

I would say you're not in an ideal situation to buy, since you don't seem to have stayed in these places, nor developed a love for any one of them. For us, we've stayed in them lots, so we knew... close proximity to the MK, with monorail access to put us in the center of the action. When we check in to vacation we want to put our car behind us and live off the system. So BLT it is! And we know that every few years we can save enough points to stay in a Bungalow so getting more points cheaper was the way to go.

We have 4 kids too... so consider Poly out. Unfortunate but true. I guess you could do dual-studios, but we want to be in one room. It's the gathering aspect of vacations. Buy somewhere that has a 2B option so you have the choice. Don't overlook BLT. It is the only resort from which you can walk to the MK, and walk to the MK bus stop which will take you anywhere you want to go.

The 40 vs 50 years is irrelevant. Look at your up front spend, then do the math on dues, figuring what your total life spend will be on dues. Add in 3-5% increase each year, and sum it up. You'll see the dues are way more than the up front costs. In that regard, a 40 year contract means enjoy WDW for 40 years without having to pay dues into your old age. And in 40 years, your kids will be in their 40's so if they are interested in carrying on the Disney trips, they will have had the opportunity to buy their own of whatever is the up and coming thing in 40 years. So the extra 10 years don't play in at all to us.

Hope that helps!

We have 5 little ones now, but even when we had 4 I was SO bummed that Poly didn't get any "regular" 2 bedroom villas. I would have loved to purchase there but it just isn't feasible with a large family (I prefer everyone to sleep in actual beds and being over the water makes me nervous so the bungalows aren't an option either. Not to mention the point requirement...).

We just purchased at Grand Floridian, partly because we'll be walking distance to Poly to enjoy the restaurants there as well.

We've stayed at WL and really enjoyed it. I'm just not a fan of the CC decor. The cabins look gorgeous but we'd have to have some kids sleeping in the living room. A big positive about CC though is that it offers so many types of villas! As your kids grow up you'd have many options for booking. A 2 bedroom now, a splurge on a cabin, maybe 2 studios down the road or a grand villa with some grandkids. When we were deciding where to buy, the fact that CC rooms are in the main lodge was also very attractive

I wouldn't use "complaints about the décor" to base a purchase on.
Beyond that, decor changes. The last few big refurbs show that. Again, it is a long term contract, and Disney has been reducing "theme" in many of the DVC rooms anyway. More interchangeable sofas, etc. etc. You ought to be able to search a bit about how disappointed some people were after the BRV refurb, and some mixed emotions about BCV/BWV in the last go-round.

Then you mentioned the AK... You really have to try these out and not be booking them from the promotional material. The AK sells really well in photos since they can snap images during that moment when the savannah is filled with animals... The pools here are a long walk, and you are far, far, far from everything else in WDW. You are busing or driving everywhere when you stay at the AK. Great unique dining options, but they're not as repeatable for us as Ohana and Chef Mickeys. You've really got to experience just how far the AK is from everything. Even driving there is a pain and takes a while to get into their underground parking.

It is very good advice to recommend trying out locations if one is not familiar with them. That's emphasized as pretty much everything that is a negative for you with AKV is a positive for us and your positives with PVB or BLT are non-factors for us or weighted too high. But we stay all around property and find pluses and minuses to all locations.

I do always have to chime in on AKV transportation though. We consider it some of the best and most consistent on property. 20 minutes to the front of MK is the average. AK will be 5-7 minutes. On the reverse that monorail has stranded me for an hour more than once and it's 10-15 minutes from PVB to MK or 15-20 minutes via boat which for the proximity IMO makes AKV transportation much better. Thing is it's a bus though vs more unique monorail or ferry. And MK resorts to AK? It's more than 20 minutes either coming or going because they share transportation with at least one other resort if not two depending on the time of day.

If you care about where you stay, why would you buy a resort without staying there first? I would rent a split reservation for your next stay, check out the two resorts that you think that you are interested in, visit other resorts and then after careful consideration and after the pixie dust wears off, buy the resort resale. You will save money even after renting.

:earsboy: Bill

I wouldn't use "complaints about the décor" to base a purchase on. One man's complaint is another's dream. If you're going to buy there I'd really have stayed there first. We bought in, but we've been staying in the Poly and Contemporary our whole life, so we knew what we wanted.

You seem to have nailed some of the Poly perks... more for the kids and easy access to the parks, but to us it goes beyond that. It's just our place. It's comfortable. It's an oasis amid the chaos of Disney World, and it's got that access to both Epcot and the Magic Kingdom. It has the beaches, Ohana, Luau, Trader Sams, walking distance to the amenities at the Grand... Best themed pool and slide, new kid play area... and not cheap, it's got several slides, bridges, hidden tunnels, etc. We haven't stayed at the WL, but we've been over that way lots... Great theming that comes close to the Poly, but a smidge less, since the tropical feel is more what we want in a vacation than the wilderness feel. You can't beat the room choices tho... CCV has the best when it comes to rooms... They fixed everything I found unattractive about BRV. You're in the main building with many room options to pick from, from Studio all the way up to Cabin. We would buy here if it wasn't for the darn access. When we stay Deluxe, we want to be in the Contemporary, Poly, or Grand. The monorail... Although it's not much faster than a bus, it's part of the experience. And the GF/Poly boats make that loop fast. The WL boats build huge lines and take 20 min each way. We've waited over an hour to get onto a boat home from things like the BYBBQ and HDDR.

I would say you're not in an ideal situation to buy, since you don't seem to have stayed in these places, nor developed a love for any one of them. For us, we've stayed in them lots, so we knew... close proximity to the MK, with monorail access to put us in the center of the action. When we check in to vacation we want to put our car behind us and live off the system. So BLT it is! And we know that every few years we can save enough points to stay in a Bungalow so getting more points cheaper was the way to go.

We have 4 kids too... so consider Poly out. Unfortunate but true. I guess you could do dual-studios, but we want to be in one room. It's the gathering aspect of vacations. Buy somewhere that has a 2B option so you have the choice. Don't overlook BLT. It is the only resort from which you can walk to the MK, and walk to the MK bus stop which will take you anywhere you want to go.

The 40 vs 50 years is irrelevant. Look at your up front spend, then do the math on dues, figuring what your total life spend will be on dues. Add in 3-5% increase each year, and sum it up. You'll see the dues are way more than the up front costs. In that regard, a 40 year contract means enjoy WDW for 40 years without having to pay dues into your old age. And in 40 years, your kids will be in their 40's so if they are interested in carrying on the Disney trips, they will have had the opportunity to buy their own of whatever is the up and coming thing in 40 years. So the extra 10 years don't play in at all to us.

Hope that helps!
Thank you. That's a lot of great information. I appreciate it.

Hope that helps!

MrInfinity's post really is super helpful. I am glad the OP is taking it into consideration.

In my opinion, the "AK is far from everything" is a bit overstated on the disboards. I'm not picking on MrInfinity, it's just something I see pop up on here often. Yes, it's further to MK than most, but it's also very close to AK. The buses there run very well and honestly, it sometimes takes just as long to leave the Poly/GF via monorail/bus as it does AKL on a bus to get to parks. We too, rely on Disney transportation and do not drive on Disney trips, so bus transportation is important and it's pretty solid at AKL. Overall, we feel AKL's buses are the best of any DVC we've stayed at so far. The resort does feel more remote, which sometimes is a nice feeling, and other times I can see how that could bother people. You cannot walk right out of the resort to other dining, etc. I get that.

Definitely take note of the length of the contract. It's really important to consider and I concur 40 years vs 50 really isn't a big deal. At least all of the resorts you are considering have a lot of years left; I am leery of the value on some of the Beach Club and Boardwalk villas contracts I see. I did the math once and Beach Club was more expensive over the life of the contract than Grand Floridian. That's not always the case, but it was on 2 resale contracts I was considering.

As disneynutz said, buy where you like to stay. It's a common theme here on the DVC boards because it's great advice!

I did the math once and Beach Club was more expensive over the life of the contract than Grand Floridian.

Were you taking into account the higher point requirement at GF for the same room type & length of stay? Although BC may have been a higher cost, it could also translate to more trips with the same number of points. Something we analyzed when researching, and something that makes BC attractive! When researching pricing though, it is up there.

Were you taking into account the higher point requirement at GF for the same room type & length of stay? Although BC may have been a higher cost, it could also translate to more trips with the same number of points. Something we analyzed when researching, and something that makes BC attractive! When researching pricing though, it is up there.

No, just the average cost per point (Buy In+ MF). That is definitely something to consider and an important one especially early one. We did that full analysis when we first bought AKL; SSR came out ahead, though the value rooms helped AKL some, but we didn't want to own SSR anyways. I just did it more for fun, for rough comparisons because I was curious when I saw some beach club contracts at $120+. Again, if if its more money for Beach Club, if that is where someone wants to stay, it's still worthwhile to buy there. As you know, money is only one factor with DVC!

Edit: Actually I'm wrong. I did a rough cost on 20 points per night at VGF and one at 16 points per night at BC for early December. Obviously, that doesn't cover everything but the GFV contract was cheaper still even accounting for the point difference. Again, just anecdotal, every contract is different.

Last edited:
As you know, money is only one factor with DVC!

So true. We analyzed ourselves crazy when trying to pick a resort because we wanted to feel like we were getting a good deal but also at one of our ideal resorts. Cost of course is a big factor but there are so many differences in how they each fit your personal idea of fun, happiness, relaxation, etc. In the end, it really does come down to where your heart is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter