Pup chasing cats

StitchesGr8Fan

DIS Veteran
Any tips to get our puppy to stop chasing our cats? He’s 3 months old, and is a GSD. We have 3 cats and he wants to play with them. They want no part of it. We have a big house and keep the pup separated from the cats most of the time but as he gets better with the potty training we’d like to expand his area of freedom. If he wouldn’t chase them, it would be fine. If they wouldn’t run he wouldn’t chase them, as we have learned with holding a cat and the dog and letting them sniff each other. We have been consistent with telling him no, redirecting, positive reinforcement. Do we just need to wait until he matures?

Keep him on a leash and teach him it's not allowed. Distract him with other things and let him know what IS allowed. Teach him. It will be a work in progress but he can learn what you want if you're firm and consistent.

We have a 10 month old golden puppy. We have 4 adult cats. For months, two of them were on his radar constantly. Many times in his mouth. I was so scared he would hurt or kill one - not intentionally. He is finally leaving them alone more often than not unless he is really bored and looking for a playmate. (when our 5 year old golden is tired of him! hahahah)

I have kept him on a leash when he is really fixated on them. There have also been times I have put them in the laundry room with food and water in the evening until he goes to bed. The cats aren't thrilled about being confined, but for their safety and my sanity it works.

Stay consistent with correcting your pup and I think your furbaby will outgrow some of the behavior, but will take many months to occur. And to make it even crazier, I have found him and the ones he has had in his mouth laying down sleeping by one another.

It's a good thing they are all so cute!!

We have a 10 month old golden puppy. We have 4 adult cats. For months, two of them were on his radar constantly. Many times in his mouth. I was so scared he would hurt or kill one - not intentionally. He is finally leaving them alone more often than not unless he is really bored and looking for a playmate. (when our 5 year old golden is tired of him! hahahah)

I have kept him on a leash when he is really fixated on them. There have also been times I have put them in the laundry room with food and water in the evening until he goes to bed. The cats aren't thrilled about being confined, but for their safety and my sanity it works.

Stay consistent with correcting your pup and I think your furbaby will outgrow some of the behavior, but will take many months to occur. And to make it even crazier, I have found him and the ones he has had in his mouth laying down sleeping by one another.

It's a good thing they are all so cute!!
So all of the posts have been good, but this one strikes the most closely to me. 2 of the cats are instigators, sitting on the other side of the gate so he can see them but can’t touch them. One will reach in and whack him on the snout.

If I could just teach them not to run....

I’ll also add that it’s important to teach the dog to not just be respectful of the cats, but also their things. The dog should not be allowed to get into their food bowls, take possession of their toys, lay on their beds, etc. Puppy needs to start associating cat scent with the need to give space and be respectful. If he knows that it’s not okay to roughhouse or get mouthy with anything that smells like the cats, it’ll help reinforce the idea that it’s not okay to roughhouse or get mouthy with the cats themselves.

So all of the posts have been good, but this one strikes the most closely to me. 2 of the cats are instigators, sitting on the other side of the gate so he can see them but can’t touch them. One will reach in and whack him on the snout.

I agree about the not running....once they take off, he takes off and it's like a herd of horses running and heaven help anything in their path! Or he corners them and stands there and barks. UGH! I will get a rolled up a magazine or paper and smack my hands with it and the noise distracts. Then he sheepishly gives me the side eye and slowly retreats only to wait patiently to make his next move. If it weren't so aggravating I would almost laugh. However, after a long day at work, it isn't always laughable.

Does he have a crate? We have a Choc. Lab and got two kittens when he was still a pup. We put the CATS in the crate, then let him approach them and eventually grow bored trying to harass them. It took a couple of days but he gets along great with them now.

Sounds like they are already trying to teach him, (when they are safe,) what to expect, if he ever corners one of them and they can't escape.

You have to teach him not to run after them when they run. I don't think he will grow out of it as he "matures." You will just have an older, untrained dog that has gotten used to running after the cats. Leash train him.

I don't have a lot of experience with dogs and cats together, but have many friends who do. As another poster said, the cats will generally set the tone in the house. While the dog is young, the cats need to give the puppy a "smack" and that usually takes care of it according to my friends. The issue comes if the dog is not taught early on and gets too big. My coworker has had a GSD rescue "forced" on him and the dog is huge and over a year old. Not going well with the cats because the dog is just too big and aggressive now. But they had good luck when they had cats and puppies. I'd encourage the use of a leash and then letting the cats assert themselves with the dog.

First, make certain he is leashed when in proximity to the cats. Second, make certain the cats have areas he cannot reach (either high cat trees or put up baby gates high enough the cats can get under but low enough to keep him from going under).

It's a case of desensitizing both- the cats not feeling threatened and running and the puppy not acting in a manner that scares the cats. Have the cats ever lived with other dogs? I would follow up with a good dog trainer for additional tips- preferably one who will come to your house and give you specific tips based on your situation.

This can become a really big issue, if the pets are left on their own to sort out the situation. We fostered a boarder collie several years ago who went on to kill a cat in the adoptive house. She was fine in our house, but our cat at the time was a very bold, self confident type who had lived with multiple dogs. I am not certain the circumstances of what actually happened, I just found out about it much later and was shocked because of her behavior in our house and the adoptive house being a veterinarian's house, so it was a house familiar with animal behaviors.

This can become a really big issue, if the pets are left on their own to sort out the situation. We fostered a boarder collie several years ago who went on to kill a cat in the adoptive house. She was fine in our house, but our cat at the time was a very bold, self confident type who had lived with multiple dogs. I am not certain the circumstances of what actually happened,

Sounds like you had an Alpha cat, who naturally was willing to stand it's ground, even without being trained to live with multiple dogs. Whereas the OP's cats, are Beta cats, and their natural instinct is to run & hide. Sounds like so far, they've been able to find places to run & hide under or in.

I do agree that there is a possibility that if they are ever cornered against a wall and unable to hide, they may gather enough courage to stand their ground, and smack the dog in the snout with a claw and that will be that. The cat will suddenly have a light bulb moment that THAT is what it will take to stop the dog. :idea: And the dog will get that it will hurt to go after the cats. :scared: That has to happen as the dog is still young enough.

But, according to the OP, only one cat seems willing to do that and is trying through a gate. The other may be too much of a Beta. And like a PP said, as the dog gets too big and starts getting aggressive and no longer playful, the situation could turn deadly, for either cat, but especially the one that is more Beta. :(

We have an older can and two older dogs and now an 8mo Wire Fox Terrier. Our older WFT and the cat used to play together, but not now. The cat likes to get on the counters which I can not stand. So the dog chases the cat out of the kitchen. The cat will also go to the dogs water bowls, go figure that one out. So now comes along a new pup, he can't even try to get to know the cat because of her attitude. We have things gated off where she has some safe space.

We are working with our dog to stop chasing the cat, a can of compressed air seems to startle him pretty good. Our command phrase is 'leave it' when we want him to stop doing something. He is slowly getting better, but it takes time and consistency in changing behaviors. It doesn't help that that cat encroaches on his territory and that our other dog knows he can chase the cat off the counters.

I have two large dogs ( Bernese Mountain Dogs) and had two cats until one passed on. The cats had previously lived with another dog we had. The previous dog was already old when the cats came to live with us and did not chase them. When we got the first Berner puppy we first introduced him to the cats with everyone in a space where the cats could escape if they chose. This dog is not super high prey drive and he was curious but didn't push it if they left-gradually they got comfortable being in the same space with him-and with smacking his nose if he got out of line. Now he thinks the remain cat is still bigger than him. The second Berner has much higher prey drive-and he wanted to chase the cats so we made sure they always had an escape route if he did decide to chase them. And we worked on Leave IT! a lot. He got it-and he probably got smacked a few times. Now they are all good together. My dogs love our remaining cat and clearly missed the other one when she died. Interestingly-they won't chase 'their' cat but the higher drive one will chase other cats if they come into his yard.

Fortunately the GSD is only three months old, so he is at a good age to learn. I doubt that he displays the type of aggressiveness at this point which would kill a cat. BUT, it could develop over time.

Our adult GSD killed a cat in our front yard when I was growing up. It traumatized me, as I was helpless to stop it. Our family felt terrible. But those were the pre-leash law days when dogs and cats roamed outside freely and what happened, happened. I have never owned a cat in part because we always had GSDs.

NOW, that's not to say that all of my GSDs were aggressive toward cats, because they weren't. Much depended on the cat and how it behaved. When DH first took our GSD to his parents house, the dog returned home with blood drops on his nose. Turned out their cat was under a chair and the dog tried to sniff it. Essentially, this happened every time the dog went over there. He didn't hurt the cat, he was just curious. Sometimes he just sat there with the cat. And the cat didn't care because he was used to dogs.

Another time I was at my brother's house and the dogs were out in the fenced yard when DH called me to come take a look. There were my two GSDs laying on the front porch with a big orange cat sitting between them! It wasn't my brother's cat, either (he didn't have one then), it was a neighborhood cat who came into the yard despite the dogs. It was really funny! The dogs seemed to enjoy being there with the cat! (I wish so bad I had a picture of that!)

I think both of these situations could've turned out differently if the cat had run, because then prey drive in the dogs kicks in. So I think a lot is dependent on the cat.

When my babysitter's cat had kittens, we put all of them on the kitchen floor with the two GSDs outside the slider screen door. Most of the kittens avoided the dogs, but there was one who went over to them that wasn't fazed at all. We chose that one. (And ultimately couldn't keep it but the kitten and the dogs got along famously.)

I have a terrier now and if I could find a cat that wouldn't run from the dog, I'd keep it! All of us would love a cat!

So yes, I think, OP, everything you do with the dog has to be sort of "fun", but firm and consistent. If he starts to go after the cats, stop him with the leash and say No, and redirect him to what you do want him to do. Keep him looking "to you" for direction. As he learns this, eventually he will always look to you to see what you want him to do. This is what they talk about when they say GSDs need a firm leader. It will take some time, but he eventually will get the idea, and hopefully the cats will become more used to him, too. Just work it through. Don't let him have access to the cats unless he is on a leash. He could get hurt if he does get to one of the cats, and of course, the cat could get hurt, as well. Good luck! PS Pick up a copy of Good Owners, Great Dogs for lots more information on working with your dog. Would also love to see a pic!

We've always had dogs and cats together. We provide a gated area that only the cats can access. It gives them a 'safe' place. My current golden retriever was raised with cats..he had two of them! But, sadly they are no longer with us. Now, my dd moved in with us two years ago. She has a Maine Coon!! But, the cat stays in the finished basement with dd. However, the dog has been allowed to go in there...the cat isn't his buddy, but she does tolerate him as long as he doesn't chase her. They are moving in a week, but my younger dd is moving home with her cat. That cat has had dogs around her, but not a big guy. So, she'll have the run of the house, but also a 'safe' place to go if the dog gets to be too much.
I will say that cats tend to educate the dogs...especially if the dog is still young. To the point that when the dog passes away, the cats look for him, and vice versa!!! I think my Riley is going to be very happy to have a live in kitty friend again!!!

I agree about the not running....once they take off, he takes off and it's like a herd of horses running and heaven help anything in their path! Or he corners them and stands there and barks. UGH! I will get a rolled up a magazine or paper and smack my hands with it and the noise distracts. Then he sheepishly gives me the side eye and slowly retreats only to wait patiently to make his next move. If it weren't so aggravating I would almost laugh. However, after a long day at work, it isn't always laughable.

I'm a huge fan of positive reinforcement, it creates a situation where the dog wants to listen, even when out of your direct control. I would start with the dog on a leash and treats, when he offers to chase the cats, give him whatever command you want to use to get him to stop that behavior, a gentle reminder with the leash to get his attention and as soon as he focuses on you, a ton of praise and a treat. Dogs should listen to you because they want to please you and be rewarded, not because they're scared of a noise or repercussion. If they listen because they want the praise, attention (and maybe treat), that behavior is easier to get when they're not within your direct control. After he masters leaving the cat alone on a leash, then I would repeat the same training off leash. Good luck!

Off leash may be months away. And German Shepherds do not need treats for training, especially where the OP has a young child. My last one became a food monger using treats (I tried); stealing food from my young kids. I put a stop to that really quickly. They're as happy to have verbal or tactile praise with a game of fetch or something, with maybe one treat at the end of a session. This is my experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter