PTR: Ka-Chow, It’s a Spring Break Road Trip

We have Mickey Mail...

dl.jpg

I can't believe that in a week we leave for our road trip. I feel so under prepared for this trip. I spend months (if not over a year) planning trips to WDW down to what we are wearing each day. I have nothing for this trip except for some skeleton touring plans, hotels reservations, park tickets (which I am going to have to add a day to when we get there), and 2 dining reservations. I am a little bit freaking out right now about this...almost to the point that I don't want to go because I feel like this trip is going to be a mess. I am trying so hard to balance a structured touring plan vs go with the flow (that my family wants). A Disney vacation to me takes planning, it is not a show up trip. Sigh.

My to do list this weekend:
1. Purchase photopass
2. Make a packing list
3. Purchase snacks & breakfast items
4. Clean Car
5. Get Car Serviced
6. Begin packing
7. Transfer money in bank/pick up a few Disney gift cards with Swagbucks money
8. Compile Schedule & Print off plans

I'm kind of with you on the planning, feel like I should plan more. However, my understanding is that is is a lot different from WDW and I have to let go of my WDW planning style (our first trip to DL end of this month)

BTW, I use an app for packing, makes it easier as I can just re-use it. FWIW, I already have a suitcase on the couch & toss in stuff I buy or come across.

I think it's kinda hard for someone who is a big WDW planner to go to DL, because there really is so much less planning involved. It seems like you're doing something wrong by not planning. But the truth is, it's much easier to just "wing it" at Disneyland than it is at WDW. Even park hopping is easier! Yes, the days leading up to the trip may be more stressful because you feel like you haven't planned enough, but once you get there, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I'm kind of with you on the planning, feel like I should plan more. However, my understanding is that is is a lot different from WDW and I have to let go of my WDW planning style (our first trip to DL end of this month)

BTW, I use an app for packing, makes it easier as I can just re-use it. FWIW, I already have a suitcase on the couch & toss in stuff I buy or come across.

What app do you use for packing? I am so glad that you feel the same way about planning. The good thing about this trip is that I am not planning a "once in a lifetime" trip like I felt like when we went the first time with the family.

I think it's kinda hard for someone who is a big WDW planner to go to DL, because there really is so much less planning involved. It seems like you're doing something wrong by not planning. But the truth is, it's much easier to just "wing it" at Disneyland than it is at WDW. Even park hopping is easier! Yes, the days leading up to the trip may be more stressful because you feel like you haven't planned enough, but once you get there, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Thanks Sarah for the reassurance! I just know this is going to be spring break starting too for lots of us in the West. I hate crowds, but my plan is always be prepared and you can deal with the crowds that way.

What app do you use for packing? I am so glad that you feel the same way about planning. The good thing about this trip is that I am not planning a "once in a lifetime" trip like I felt like when we went the first time with the family.
I use Pack the Bag. There is a pro version, but I use the free version. I can sync it across devices, add things in any category, save a specific trip or multiple trips.
For us, this might be once in a lifetime. Florida is quicker & cheaper for us, so I'm not sure we'll return any time soon.

Day 6: Thursday/Departure Day
DLR to Seligman, AZ

And now it’s time to say goodbye…

10.jpg

Thursday is departure day, time to take this road trip back the other direction. Unlike our last family trip to a Disney Destination, I know that there will be other trips west to California and more adventures. Disney is no longer a once in a lifetime for me. I will be back, hopefully in 2019 (or sooner) with a runDisney weekend. ..when my ankle decides to cooperate. We will need to get on the road fairly early to get everything accomplished for the day. Our drive back east on Thursday will take us away from Route 66/I-40 for the first part of the day. Mr. Grumpy needs to get EVEN MORE of a car fix…

1.jpg

So we will be stopping at the SoCal Hot Rod Shop in Las Vegas. Afterwards we will drive down the Vegas Strip…

2.jpg

just for the boys to see before heading out to the…

3.jpg

Hoover dam for a photo opp and if time allows maybe a tour. Afterwards we will make our way south to Kingman, AZ where we will make a turn leaving the big highway and follow the now back road Route 66 east to Seligman, AZ. This will be one of the few places we are actually on the original Route 66 as it was, not as it is along with I-40. Along the way we will encounter…

4.jpg 5.jpg

The Hackberry General Store, inspiration to Lizzie’s Curio Shop in Cars. Our next stop will be in Seligman, were there are several things that served as inspiration to both Cars & Carsland including…

7.jpg

The Roadkill café and Delgadillo’s Snow Cap Café, was well as a few curio shops that me might take a peek in should we have time. Speaking of time we will either spend the night in Seligman or continue a little further down the road to Williams for the evening. I have not made any reservations yet, I will make them that day depending on time.

Have so much fun! I know it will be a great time and try not to stress over the planning so much.

Have so much fun! I know it will be a great time and try not to stress over the planning so much.

Remember the To-Do...NADA has been done. At least the car has a scheduled appointment tomorrow. SIGH

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter