pseudo-vegetarian - note it on ADR?

runnergrl

Earning My Ears
So this is weird, I know... and I'm sorry if it's in the wrong forum.
Anyway, my family is going down to Disney in Sept. All of our ADR's are already made (yeah!). However, I'm kind of picky. I'm not really a vegetarian, b/c I'll eat fish on occasion but I absolutely hate beef, pork, poultry, and anything of the likes. While pasta is okay, I tend to get tired of it quickly (and pasta alone doesn't exactly provide you a well-rounded diet).

Normally when we go out to meals I simply pick something that will suffice. Granted this usually leaves me with soup, salad, or something of the likes.

Would this be an okay method at Disney? Will I be able to find enough variety/vegetarian options for the week, or is it worth adding to the ADR's (and if so, how would I say that? vegetarian usually implies no fish as well...)?

Any feedback is appreciated!

There is no need to add the comment to the reservation.

You might want to go up to the top of the page and click on <DINING> and then look at the menus of where you are going to eat. All of the Restaurants, up to and including V&A, have vegetarian items, and usually it in something interesting.

DD is very similar. She won't eat eat of any kind but she will eat something cooked in a meat broth. She will eat eggs as well, in fact she loves them. We try to find something at the restaurants that she will eat but usually end up eating a lot of buffets so everyone has something that they can enjoy. DS won't eat hardly anything but meat. Maybe I should just have them split an entree.:lmao:

My DH and I eat more or less the way you do although for different reasons. We didn't note it on our reservations and found tons of things to eat. Every TS restaurant and most QS restaurants will have at least 1 vegetarian option and at least 1 fish option, and there is usually something else that can be made vegetarian (like a pasta dish made without the meat it normally contains). You can read my dining review for ideas. There were many more options than we would have eating at restaurants at home.

yay, a fellow pescetarian! thats what people who eat seafood but no other meat are called. :) i had no problems finding food to eat, but then again i usually chose a seafood dish to eat. about 99% of the time you will find one vegetarian and one seafood dish at every restaurant. if youre not sure if anything will fit your taste you should just check out the menus at allears.net. they really helped me pick where i wanted to eat. i know it can be difficult to eat out so i hope this helps!

Why would you note it on your reservation? Do you expect Disney to make you special meals when it's not an allergy?

Just look at the menus and pick the restaurants that best suit your needs.

My son eats pure vegan and he really had no problems last Disney trip. There were a couple of places without a good choice - but even then the kitchen would come up with a vegetable fajita or something.

Even the counter service restaurants have some pretty good options now, veggies and boca burgers.

Why would you note it on your reservation? Do you expect Disney to make you special meals when it's not an allergy?

Um.. as a matter of fact Disney happily caters to dining restrictions.. not just allergies. They will prepare kosher meals, vegetarian, vegan, gluton free, e.t.c.
They also ask to be given advance notice to accomodate special requests.
They have no problem with it.. not sure why you do:rolleyes1

To the Op, my daughter is also pescatarian. I found through looking through the menus I found a great deal she could eat so I didn't note my reservations. If you were eating somewhere like Whispering Canyon with the meat heavy skillet I might ask. Also from reading others reviews O'Hana apparently has a great chef who does a wonderful vegetarian menu if given notice.:)

Um.. as a matter of fact Disney happily caters to dining restrictions.. not just allergies. They will prepare kosher meals, vegetarian, vegan, gluton free, e.t.c.
They also ask to be given advance notice to accomodate special requests.
They have no problem with it.. not sure why you do:rolleyes1

I agree with you...not sure why this person has a problem with the OP's question.

I am also a Pescetarian; however, this is not a common term used. When we make our dining reservations with Disney I inform them I am a vegetarian but will eat fish, eggs and dairy products. The CS will very kindly look through the menus and to see if there is something I will eat. They also note it on my reservations I am a vegetarian but will eat fish, eggs and dairy products. When we arrive to the restaurant, the chef comes out and offers me a variety of dishes. Disney is very accommodating to all individuals regarding this matter.

Would you feel better if I said that b/c I haven't had meat in so long the few times I have tried previously I have often gotten sick (probably psychosomatic) and always had (ahem) bowel issues afterward

So no, it's not an allergy. But it is per my comfort both mentally and physically.

Eating kosher (or other religious preferences) isn't an allergy either, but people don't have a problem with that...

Thanks to everyone that offered advice. I'll look at the menus for the places I have ADR's and any place that is questionable will consider looking into further.

Would you feel better if I said that b/c I haven't had meat in so long the few times I have tried previously I have often gotten sick (probably psychosomatic) and always had (ahem) bowel issues afterward

So no, it's not an allergy. But it is per my comfort both mentally and physically.

Eating kosher (or other religious preferences) isn't an allergy either, but people don't have a problem with that...

Thanks to everyone that offered advice. I'll look at the menus for the places I have ADR's and any place that is questionable will consider looking into further.

I guess you threw me off when you said you weren't really a vegetarian just picky. I didn't think it was too much to just look at the menu to see what you would like. People who are allergic or can't eat certain food for religious reasons have to know what exactly is in their food. Not just because they are picky, because it can be life threatening if they have allergies.

I just got back from a trip with my wife and dad. My wife is a vegetarian. We made no notes on our ADR's and had no problem finding dishes for her at the places we went. The only almost problem was at Whispering Canyon. We (DW and I) had been there for lunch on our honeymoon and she really enjoyed the Quinoa cakes there. The problem came (and it was totally my fault for not checking the dinner menu prior to going) when we got there and they didn't offer any sort of vegetarian option on the dinner menu. All we had to do was inform the server and she went and asked and they made DW the cakes.

I would make note of it on the ADR's. It will be one less thing that you have to think about. Sometimes a "heads-up" to the restuarants gives you more choices when you get there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter