Pros/Cons for which extra day?

Supermavs

Mouseketeer
hi guys.

I’m trying to decide which is a better choice if we decide to add a third day. It would end up being a 1/2 day due to Ruth being the day we arrive or the day we leave.

Any pros and cons you can help me think through?

Coming July 31, planned Aug 1 and 2 in the parks (1 park per day) and heading home Aug 3. Would it be better to go first day we arrive for a late afternoon and evening on Tuesday or to get an extra morning until early afternoon on Friday?

One bonus is I wanted to see Mickey and the magical map which is only showing on Friday that week.

I’d love to hear people’s thoughts!
Thanks!

Becky

Personally, for the price of just adding a day I think an evening in the park would be a great value.

Having done both at Disney World, I find the morning on the exit day to be more relaxing. Your bags are packed and are waiting for you at the hotel and all you have to do is enjoy the parks. We did a half day evening last summer and it was a bit of a bummer coming into a hot, packed park after flying in all day, and then I had to worry about the impact that staying up late that night would have on the rest of the trip. If you take the first night easy, you can get a grocery delivery, enjoy the pool, head to bed early and be set to have a loaded 2 and a half days later on.

I remember your posting about having extra money for a possible splurge. Would it be possible to do a character dinner on your arrival night (Goofy's Kitchen would be the only option) to get the magic started? Then end your special mom-daughter trip with the half day on Friday? That way you'd get to see Mickey & the Magical Map (which is a really fun show).

If your travel day to get there is long (or you are coming from a much earlier time zone) I'd pick the last day as your extra day. If you think you will be too excited to resist going into the parks, I'd pick the first evening. I'd also take into account your travel styles -- stay up late or bounce around early? How much do you prioritize evening entertainment like fireworks/parades/WoC? Having a third evening could help you spread those out.

PHXscuba

If your travel day to get there is long (or you are coming from a much earlier time zone) I'd pick the last day as your extra day. If you think you will be too excited to resist going into the parks, I'd pick the first evening. I'd also take into account your travel styles -- stay up late or bounce around early? How much do you prioritize evening entertainment like fireworks/parades/WoC? Having a third evening could help you spread those out.

And you could even wait to make that decision on the day you travel based on weather, tiredness, etc..

PHXscuba

Quoted myself accidentally but meant to add the bolded text.

Evenings in the parks are my favorite so I would pick the evening. But I am not a morning person in general (though we do make it for rope drop on Disney trips!). Some of it would depend on how far I was traveling from though.

I would do both days, but if I had to pick I would do the evening at the beginning. I have so much more energy at the beginning of a trip. At the end I'm dragging to get out of bed early and would prefer to just sleep in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!