pros/cons compare akl to Asmu resort

Mogs30

Mouseketeer
Hi all, We have reservations at All s music for 9 nights. We have 3 rooms reserved and 2 are connecting. We will more than likely just be using the room to sleep, but with parks closing early might hang at resort more--who knows. Our 1st time going!! Jan 30-Feb 8th. What are difference in resorts.

Is there american food at the food courts at AKL?? any and all help comments would be great. I am thinking that if general codes come out, that we might pay the extra difference if worth it to switch to AKL instead of ASMu. HELP everyone!!. Thanks PS: we would just be reserving the standard room if switched to AKL, can't afford the savanah view. Thanks again. OH and we have the preferred room booked at ASMU.

Thanks, previous posters. There's no comparison at all.

ASMu was cute. It's also inexpensive, and almost affordable compared to "real-world prices" if you get the codes just right. But it can't carry the water jug of the AKL. ;)

We just returned from an 8 day trip from the World. On the first evening of our stay we stayed at the Dolphin. Thank goodness I was able to use the teachers discount, or I would have been really mad. Even using the discount I was very suprised at what a let down this room was. I felt this room was not much better than our usual All Star Movies Resort room that we usually stay at. To me if you do not plan on being in the resort or using the ammenities of the resort for any length of time need not spend the added expense and can do something that is really important go for the cheeper room. The All Star resorts have very good food and the transpotation is never a problem. In fact, I beleive we waited longer for a bus at the Dolphin, that we did at All Star Movies. Of cousre I have not stayed at the AKL, I did enjoy looking at the resort and others while staying at another property. I felt it was nice to go and look at the other resorts and take in the environments of them as I wished. There were times when we would go and eat at a resort just for that reason. We too spend most of our time in the parks and little time in the room, so the room is not a big deal to us as we would rather spend the money elsewhere......like on Dole Whips and Beaver Tails and dinner at Shula's, but this is just my opinion. Now on the other hand when we stayed at the Board Walk Villa's in a one bedroom villa at $160.00 a night that was well worth te money to us as location is everything and we spend a lot of time at Epcot. That "room" did not disappoint, but I would never pay rack rate of anything close to it for that. Just my point of view....

Liz of Liz and Greg (but I am fairly certain Greg would agree as well)

I have never stayed at AKL but I am a big All Stars fan and it is about half the price. If money is a big issue then stay at All Stars and visit AKL for dinner!!!

There is no comparing these two resorts...one is a deluxe, and one is value. While the all stars are excellent, we have stayed many times at the sports. We have also stayed at AKL and we love it, it is our favorite deluxe resort...so relaxing.

Much more variety of food at AS resorts...and it is very good and good prices.

I HAVE stayed at both and I think you CAN directly compare them.

We usually stay at the All Stars, because we like them. We can afford to stay anywhere else (and sometimes do), but we normally stay at the All Stars because we feel they most definitely give you the most bang for the buck.

The All Stars are cute, clean and have food courts that are superior (in size and in the diversity of food offered) to those of the deluxes. The bus transportation to/from the All Stars used to be superior to that of the deluxes, but with recent cutbacks we have found them to be about the same -- that is to say, lacking in frequency.

The room size at the All Stars is exactly what you would expect in that price range. Two double beds and a small bathroom with detached sink.

The room size at AKL I find to be somewhat disappointing (as indeed I felt the size of the Poly to be disappointing) in that it is not three times bigger than the AS room, even though it is easily 3 times more expensive. It is perhaps 20% larger. The bathroom is somewhat larger, but not commodious. I refuse to count the very small balcony and the hallway outside the bathroom as "living space", although I know WDW does.

The biggest difference in my book is that the beds at the AKL are queen sized (which is especially nice if the guest is queen sized! ;) ) and the decor is more luxe -- understated lighting, nicer grade of towel, more decorative items on the wall.

On the other hand, you get virtually NONE of the amenities I expect at a high-priced resort -- nicer toiletries, bathrobes, access to a complimentary health facility, coffee machine, microwave, VCR or a wider range of cable channels. I suppose the iron and hairdryer count for something, but not for much with me as I don't use them.

The primary difference between AKL and AS is that there are real animals at AKL, and you have many ways to see them even if you don't have a savannah room. If you like a safari-type theme better than you like the fantasy world of the ASMo, the sports theme of the ASSp or the music world of ASMu, then go for it. If you are interested primarily in the food, you can just VISIT the AKL and eat there -- including their food court, which has a couple of interesting African-themed items.

Having stayed at both, we will continue to spend most of our time at the All Stars, because we feel it gives us great value. AKL was interesting to stay at, but I don't think we'll spend the big bucks to stay there again -- in our opinion it's just not 3 times better. I think you do yourself a favor when you spend a couple of days at the deluxes and moderates, to come to your own conclusions.

I HAVE stayed at both and I think you CAN directly compare them.

We usually stay at the All Stars, because we like them. We can afford to stay anywhere else (and sometimes do), but we normally stay at the All Stars because we feel they most definitely give you the most bang for the buck.

The All Stars are cute, clean and have food courts that are superior (in size and in the diversity of food offered) to those of the deluxes. The bus transportation to/from the All Stars used to be superior to that of the deluxes, but with recent cutbacks we have found them to be about the same -- that is to say, lacking in frequency.

The room size at the All Stars is exactly what you would expect in that price range. Two double beds and a small bathroom with detached sink.

The room size at AKL I find to be somewhat disappointing (as indeed I felt the size of the Poly to be disappointing) in that it is not three times bigger than the AS room, even though it is easily 3 times more expensive. It is perhaps 20% larger. The bathroom is somewhat larger, but not commodious. I refuse to count the very small balcony and the hallway outside the bathroom as "living space", although I know WDW does.

The biggest difference in my book is that the beds at the AKL are queen sized (which is especially nice if the guest is queen sized! ;) ) and the decor is more luxe -- understated lighting, nicer grade of towel, more decorative items on the wall.

On the other hand, you get virtually NONE of the amenities I expect at a high-priced resort -- nicer toiletries, bathrobes, access to a complimentary health facility, coffee machine, microwave, VCR or a wider range of cable channels. I suppose the iron and hairdryer count for something, but not for much with me as I don't use them.

The primary difference between AKL and AS is that there are real animals at AKL, and you have many ways to see them even if you don't have a savannah room. If you like a safari-type theme better than you like the fantasy world of the ASMo, the sports theme of the ASSp or the music world of ASMu, then go for it. If you are interested primarily in the food, you can just VISIT the AKL and eat there -- including their food court, which has a couple of interesting African-themed items.

Having stayed at both, we will continue to spend most of our time at the All Stars, because we feel it gives us great value. AKL was interesting to stay at, but I don't think we'll spend the big bucks to stay there again -- in our opinion it's just not 3 times better. I think you do yourself a favor when you spend a couple of days at the deluxes and moderates, to come to your own conclusions.

You answered my answere in a nut shell. I know akl is beautiful by pictures, but Asmu is ok too. I think I will keep my resv. at music, and maybe ---Just maybe get yet another discount there and even get more bang for my buck!!. Thanks all who posted. All star music here we come!! Everyone have a magical day!! Mogs

This is an interesting combination-the first time I did 2 resorts in one trip, these were the 2 I was at. In my opinion, since you're going for 9 days, it would be good to combine these two if possible. To me, the ASMusic is good only for those who won't be there much, except to sleep, those who "go, go, go". But I don't know if you want to keep that up for 9 days. AKL is ideal for relaxation. The only disadvantage I found is a comment on how gorgeous it is-this Disney nut didn't care to leave the resort. So if you can, stay at ASMusic for about a week, then unwind for the last couple of days at AKL.

I just stayed at AKL and loved it! We had a savannah view room though, and that is what I loved about it the most. I would not stay at the AKL unless it was in a savannah view room. The rooms are dark in decor (lots of brown... think Burger King, late 70's), and not overly large. It sets the tone of the resort, but I wouldn't pay to stay in a room with a view of the pool or parking lot for that price. I think that your idea of 2 rooms at the All Stars is a good one. You'll have space and an extra bathroom. Unless you can comfortably swing the savannah, stick with what you've got and go to the AKL for dinner at Boma one night!

Happy Planning!

Erin :D

Having stayed at both I can compare-

They are 2 different worlds!!! lol.

ASMU- it a good crash for the night hotel and tight budget hotel. It's VERY high energy, there are 2 pools and it's rather spread out. The rooms are like a motel, meaning they have outside entrances and they are small but OK. The busses were usually very crowded and always the last stop, the farthest from the entrances of the parks. There's a food court which I thought was very good, 2 pools and a pool bar. Of all the All-stars I prefer the Movies the best, followed by the Sports, then Music.

AKL- Oh it's just wonderful. Everything about it is just beautiful and relaxing, you do feel like you're staying in an African lodge. There is 1 VERY large main pool with 2 hot tubs and a pool bar. You can get a variety of view choices for your room. Theres standard, pool and then savannah, where you can view the animlas from your balcony. There are also several other public viewing areas at the Lodge. They have pool games, cookie decorating and Story-telling at nigh, as well as exhibits in the lobby. the rooms are beautiful with hand carved furniture and they are a nice size.

They have 2 sit-down restaurants one that offers a buffet, Boma and one that's more upscale, Jiko. There's also the Mara, they have a wide variety of choices here from plain burgers and fries to African stew. They are very accomadating here and will add or eliminate any ingrediants you want. They even made us something that wasn't even on the menu one night, you just have to ask! You order your food and then sit-down at a table inside or outside and they bring it to you.

The transporatation is all bus service and the best we've experienced at WDW. In 2 weeks we never waited more then 10 minutes for a bus. A big plus is that the AKL doesn't share busses, which cuts down on the travel time a lot! We almost always had a seat, except 1 time at park closing. Plus the stops are always very close to the entrances.

I just can't say enough wonderful things about the AKl it was awesome!! To sum it up I'd say that the biggest difference is the AKL is a destination in itself a place where you could spend your vacation without even going to the parks. Where the ASMu is a good budget hotel. They really are 2 different worlds.

I'd pick the AKL in a second over ASMu, if we could afford it. If I were to pick an All-Star it would be the Movies.

I have stayed at AS three times and at AKL once (standard room booked). I would watch for codes and change to AKL.

We did have a coffee maker in our room -I think you just have to cal housekeeping and ask. They also had the refillable mug program.

The pool was AMAZING!!!!The restaurants- incredible!
food court was very good, too. The whole ambience of ths resort is something you must experience. The moment we pulled up and stepped out of our car- the smells, sight, and sounds (wonderful music played constantly)....

The AS is okay for a quick weekend, but I know I could not stay there for long.

After our last trip at ASSp, I informed my DH that from now on a "budget trip" for me would be a Disney moderate!

If it was up to me I would definitely choose AKL over ASMu. I love the theming and the transportation is top-notch (albeit only on busses).

I usually try and avoid posting twice on the same thread, but I really think I need to put another couple of cents in. Several people have offered the opinion that the All Stars are good for a sleep-only or a quick crash vacation. My opinion on this is different.

My family of three (6'4" husband, 16 year old son and myself) have stayed at the All Stars for very long stays (this last summer we stayed for two weeks), and we spend a large amount of time in our room -- watching TV, writing trip reports, reading, and just relaxing. We have always felt the room was more than adequate and have never felt significantly more cramped than we did at the Poly or AKL. Not so much because the All Star room is so large -- it's just that the Poly and AKL rooms were not much bigger! We have stayed at hotels with large rooms, but as far as I can tell, there are no rooms on WDW property that I would classify as "large" or "spacious".

But again, size is clearly in the eye of the beholder. I see people on these boards who go on and on about how much bigger the deluxe rooms are and how terribly small the All Stars are. I've seen both, and I disagree, but that's my perspective, and they have theirs. So it really is best for you to see it for yourself and make your own judgement. By the way -- you don't necessarily have to shell out money to do this. If you go to a deluxe and ask nicely, sometimes they will show you a room.

I have stayed at both. My DS age 5 loved ASMo. But we were never there. We were always in the parks. We stayed at AKL at the end of our trip to relax and unwind from the parks LOL. I am a value oriented consumer. I want a lot of bang for my buck, I recently adopted this behavior when I hit 40. It would have killed me to pay $220/night for AKL if I was never there. When I go to the parks - I am there all day and all night. With a little break for the DS in between. The only request my son made was - I think Mickey should move the animals over to our other hotel!!!! Maybe as my son gets older we will move onto other resorts but for now, AS for when we tour - Deluxe to relax from the parks - when we can appreciate them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter