Pros and cons of renting DVC vs. TA?

firefly1010

Earning My Ears
Hello,

I am not a DVC owner. I was considering going thru David's to stay at the Contemporary. What are the pros and cons of renting DVC thru David's vs staying in a room reserved by my TA?

TIA!

You should read up on David's in this forum before using them. Their handling of the coronavirus shutdown has left owners unwilling to supply rental points, and renters doing credit card chargebacks. That, coupled with them deleting any negative comment or question on facebook as soon as it is posted (while simultaneously not answering phones or email messages from customers), and the ponzi-like voucher scheme has people seriously questioning whether they will remain in business.

I rented from Davids many times and had great experiences. Then I became a DVC owner and rented my points to him, again - great experience .

However I would not, under any circumstances, rent points from anyone at this time. There are too many unknowns and you are far better off booking through a TA or direct through Disney. Their flexible cancellation policy is worth its weight in gold in this climate, IMO.

In addition, know that on DVC, you are not staying at the Contemporary. You are staying at Bay Lake Tower, which is next door. The studio units sleep 4 on a queen bed and pull-out sofa, and are sized at 339 square feet including a kitchenette. At Contemporary Tower and Garden Wing, a Standard Room sleeps 5 on two queen beds and a daybed. Those rooms are 395 square feet.

The experience is rather different, even before getting into the issues with planning timelines, ability to change the booking, and the meltdown of the broker rental market right now.

Hello,

I am not a DVC owner. I was considering going thru David's to stay at the Contemporary. What are the pros and cons of renting DVC thru David's vs staying in a room reserved by my TA?

TIA!
I cannot think of a single “pro” for renting thru David’s compared to renting directly from a DVC owner. Not. A. Single. One.

However, if you consider renting (thru anyone) vs. using a TA, I would offer these comparisons.
  1. Availability. If you want a DVC villa, renting is more likely to get you a better price and a larger selection of villas vs. what a TA can offer you.
  2. Cancellation Policies. The TA may have a different policy than Disney itself but generally speaking, a DVC rental is going to have more stringent cancellation policies.
  3. Payment Policies. A TA will probably do a search and courtesy hold on a room or package at no charge. They will then take a deposit and give you a payment deadline. A DVC rental could require a refundable deposit just to do a search for you. Many brokers require full payment at the time that the reservation is made.
  4. Refunds (not the same as cancellations). Most TAs will refund you in the event that the trip cannot occur (such as the most recent shutdown). A broker will only offer you a voucher to be used at another time (maybe).
  5. Flexibility. A TA will likely be agreeable to moving your dates or changing the resort for you. A DVC rental thru a broker is “locked in” and unchangeable. A rental thru a private owner may have a bit more flexibility but will be tied to the points they can use and availability at the resorts.
  6. Help along the way. A TA can assist you in purchasing tickets, booking dining reservations and some will even book your fastpasses for you. They can arrange to get you home if there’s an emergency. With a DVC rental, you’re on your own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!